Which Team Declined Most After Offseason (dolphins, Seahawks)

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Dolph N.Fan, May 15, 2018.

1. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23474032/nfl-insiders-predict-best-worst-teams-free-agency-draft

Seattle and Miami were both cited 3 times in this article as being worse after the offseason moves.

Yeah everyone will go straight to bashing ESPN because they don’t think Miami will do anything this year. But realistically how could any non homer have any high expectations for Miami this year? I think this team’s ceiling if everything goes right is another one and done playoff appearance. I’m just expecting another average season.

2. fansinceGWilson

fansinceGWilson FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

A number of people would say "average" is a homer outlook

3. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

6-8 wins is pretty realistic.

Geordie and Pandarilla like this.
  4. SeasonsMusic

SeasonsMusic Pianist

Suh didn’t change our game play we still sucked. Landry will be missed. Not sure who else is worth crying over, oh well.

opticblazed, BenchFiedler and joenhre like this.
  5. finmann

finmann Pro Bowler

I can see us at 8-8 this season or better.

6. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

I don’t think Miami got worse or better with their FA moves. I don’t even think Landry will be missed. It’s all about the 2016, 2017, 2018 drafts proving they were worth being drafted. I think the FA moves were a wash to be honest.

miami365 and Pandarilla like this.
  7. outlawd2u

outlawd2u Pro Bowler

I don't agree at all and there are a lot of reasons why, but I can also see why the media and most casual fans, or fans of other teams would think this. Most people who aren't a fan of Miami know little about them and hardly ever see them play, but they hear big names, they see big numbers on stat sheets, and they base players worth off of fantasy football.

8. kcbrown

kcbrown Life is what we make it. Donator

lol

We had friggin' LAY CUTLER as our QB!

No team in the NFL is "worse" when he is no longer your quarterback, period. It's not even debatable.

9. rent this space

rent this space Starter Finheaven VIP

when they mention Pouncey as a big loss, it makes me wonder how much they researched the team

10. 1Dolfan

1Dolfan Starter

we did add Robert Quinn who got 8.5 sacks playing out of position last year.

Every analyst want flashy names. Football is a team sport, why doesn't pittsburg ever when with there amazing talent or the Lions with Suh, Calvin and Stafford. These guys are over reacting. Miami has very few weaknesses and a lot of depth at a lot of positions.

11. joenhre

joenhre Starter Finheaven VIP Donator

Clueless people writing nonsense. I'll take the opinion of people who actually really know and have studied BOTH the players added and lost. Sorry IMO anyone who can't see that this team is better than the team that ended the 2017 doesn't have a clue.

12. joenhre

Yes that right there shows how little they actually know. Like I said the people quoted in the OP are clueless when it comes to the Dolphins. Why would I care what someone has to say about a subject they haven't bothered to research in detail?

13. psfign

psfign A True Fan

Ouch. Some kick in the pants reality. There's some things to be excited for, but a ton of question marks have to pan out for us to be a playoff team. And lately those question marks just don't seem to work out for us.

Can we get consistent, high level play from our QB, OL and LB groups?

Can't wait to see how improved OL is. Very excited to see McMillan again! Hopefully he's been deep in the playbook for the entire year.
    Then, I'm excited to see how many rookies step up and contribute. Think Gesicki is going to open up this offense's capabilities.

14. Buddy

Buddy Right Wing Nut Job Moderator Finheaven VIP

The fact of the matter is that we had all of those people on our team last year healthy and sucked. They didn't make a positive difference whether they were on the field or not. We didn't have Tannehill and were markedly worse, a whole different team worse. I'll take a healthy Tannehill and the young team we have now over all of those bloated contracts for Landry, Suh, Pouncey, and whiney Ajai. I like Thomas, we'll miss him. I'll bet that our offense scores more points, our defense allows less points, and we win more games this year than last.

15. sunworshipper

sunworshipper FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

One guy listed Michael Thomas as a key loss. Who's next? Damien Williams or Tony Fasano or maybe Anthony Steen. How can we win even 3 games without Steen?!?

ETA: I looked this guy, Mike Clay, up and found his specialty is fantasy football. Figures.

You can claim the Dolphins will be bad and find arguments for it. But someone pulls that "I can't see what the Dolphins are doing" crap, you know they are ignorant and lazy. Maybe the Dolphins' plan is foolhardy but it is clear what it is. Get faster, smarter, position-flexible players and concentrate on pass offense, pass rush, and pass coverage. And go all in on Tannehill this year.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    BIGTom-, Dakar001, rickd13 and 3 others like this.
  16. HarryBagpipe

HarryBagpipe Daddybutter Super Donator

Suh was our only major loss. Meanwhile we got an all pro de, one of the best guards in the league, got our starting mlb back, a starting cb back and oh btw got our starting qb back while not having to field league worst at the position.

Extremely lazy writing

17. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

Of all the teams he could choose from to pick the one who improved the most, this guy Seifert selected the jets only on the basis of them drafting Sam Darnold. The reality that Darnold arrives with many flaws and a questionable USC quarterback lineage not withstanding, he ignored everything else about the jets free agency. I would think that this opinion sufficiently impugns and cancels out his fins as the most decline team selection. It becomes a wash.

18. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

Agreed I think the most exciting thing to look forward this year is how the rookies and 2nd year players perform.

19. rent this space

rent this space Starter Finheaven VIP

Having Harris and McMillan contribute meaningfully this year would be huge

royalshank and GUH-sick-EE like this.
  20. Russ57

Russ57 Well-Known Member

I have to tell you, and I must be weird as I have seen only one other forum poster mention it;

But what I saw was Suh lining up on outside shoulder of guard, cutting across his face, and crashing into the center. He didn’t command a double team, he engaged one. Worse yet he drove the center into Phillips and ruined his chance to penetrate. He also left a gaping hole between him and Wake to run through.

His body of work makes it impossible denying his talent but IMHO he never improved our line and I’d have much rather had the likes of Starks. Stay home and play your assignment. That is why I think we paid so much to have him off our team. He was off the reservation and that encourages others to think they can be also. Ditto on Jay and Landry.

So yes, we lost some big time talent, but we also lost some big time freelancers.

GUH-sick-EE and rickd13 like this.
  21. Danny

Danny Finheaven VIP Finheaven VIP

So the big loses were Pouncey and Thomas?.....lol

rickd13 likes this.
  22. joenhre

Yeah Mike Clay is a fantasy football "writer". I took a look at some of his other "work" and it just strengthens my initial impression of him as being clueless.

23. fin415

fin415 Not a slot receiver Finheaven VIP

I'm always confused by these articles and posts from people here -- we weren't doing so amazing with those players last season, so why does moving on from them automatically mean we're worse off?

Sure, we're an easy target to pick on this year:
    Suh is a clear loss of talent, but at such a high cost that we didn't seem to be able to add enough talent around him to actually make a difference. Landry had gaudy numbers, but mostly in the middle of the field. By the numbers he was our #1 receiver, but was nowhere near as impactful as a true #1. JA was gone long before the offseason and while his replacement doesn't have the same power game, he does seem to be willing to hit the hole the play calls for and we looked good with him on the field. Pouncey was such an injury risk and had such limitations, it's hard to understand how he even gets mentioned in this context.

Will we make the SB this year. Not a chance. Could we make a wild card run -- yes. I would consider a 1 and done playoff appearance a success because of how much of an overhaul we went through and the validation of the overall plan.

GUH-sick-EE and Buddy like this.
  24. Martel13

Martel13 Since '84 Super Donator

Landry and Suh will sting but Pouncey was addition by subtraction IMO

lbmclean_nocal likes this.
  25. jlfin

jlfin old pro

Pouncey is still getting by on his reputation from 4-5 yrs ago.
    Strongly disagree that the team took a step back. I think they are much better than last yr and better (and deeper) than the 2016 playoff team.
    Fitzpatrick, McMillan, Quinn, Baker markedly improve the defense and minimize the loss of Suh
    Tannehill, Sitton, Gesecki, Wilson, Amendola>>Landry, Thomas, Cutler
    I also anticipate continued improvement from Tunsil, Howard, Tankersly, Godchaux and Harris.
    The development of young players is rarely taken into account when prognosticating the upcoming season and that is why there are always surprises and disappointments.

Ben Had, Fin Mex, GUH-sick-EE and 2 others like this.
  26. phintim

phintim Seasoned Veteran

We have 11 players on the roster prior to Gase arrival. No excuses if RT stays healthy this year, a 10 win season SHOULD be expected. Anything less Gase is not who we and what he thinks he is. Last place schedule for awful season last year also removes loosing excuses.

srp1979 likes this.
  27. zach attach

zach attach A True Fan Donator

That Mike Sando just seems like a rock star of the sports writing world. Please keep up the jabs writers. Make my team want to slay your opinions.

28. BigNastyFish

BigNastyFish A True Fan

all that matters is the W/L column and we have to hope (2 flippers crossed) we've made corrections and perhaps a few additions via subtraction in terms of the teams overall composition and ON THE FIELD performance.

Gase has LOT to prove this year. Thill is right there as well.

If they get the job done they will deserve all the accolades. If the fail

>>>> get outta town!

BNF.

29. spiketex

spiketex Kiko, El Bravo 47 - the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

I really don't think that we have declined on Offense -

Did we decline at Quarterback? No - It is improved with Tannehill returning to lead the team. Cutler turned out to be a major disappointment last season. Tannehill is far more accurate.

Did we decline at Running Back? No - Drake has further upside and is likely to be better. Frank Gore had the 5th best yardage in the NFL last season and is definitely an upgrade on Damien Williams. He can also help to develop the young RBs. Drafting Ballage is further depth and a good big back for the future.

Did we decline at Wide Receiver? Time will tell. Jarvis Landry was very good but the team made a pragmatic call in not overpaying and has replaced him with Albert Wilson (who was pursued by multiple teams in Free Agency) and Danny Amendola - a proven successful, highly intelligent professional. Kenny Stills, DeVante Parker and Jakeem Grant round out the WR corps that has a broad range of skills that should improve with the return of Tannehill.

Did we decline at Tight End? No - Gesicki is potentially a huge upgrade after a disappointing season from Julius Thomas. Definite Offensive weapon that we have lacked. We also drafted Durham Smythe from Notre Dame for his blocking skills at TE.

Did we decline on the O-Line? No - Probably improved with the upgrade in coaching after the disruption from the sudden exit of Chris Foerster after the cocaine snorting episode to impress the Vegas stripper. In terms of players - Josh Sitton is a definite upgrade at Guard and I see little decline with the switch from Pouncey to Kilgore. Additionally, JuWuan James is returning fully healthy with something to prove and Tunsil has upside as well.

Last edited: May 17, 2018 at 9:35 PM
  30. finomenal

finomenal A True Fan

Sensationalist click bait headline. Not interested.

joenhre likes this.
  31. maralieus

maralieus Lets get those balls deep!!

Yeah we should’ve given Landry 15 million a year. We also should’ve kept Suh. Then we can have like half our cap tied up in two players that didnt change the game for us. They also swore up and down that trading ajayi was a huge mistake, only to find out drake was a star in the making sitting right behind him.

joenhre and finomenal like this.
  32. finomenal

finomenal A True Fan

With a promising prospect coming in to be part of the rotation. I always say quality running backs can be found in the 3rd round and later.

joenhre likes this.
  33. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 We? What the **** we? Finheaven VIP Donator

Peter Schraeger has Miami as closing the gap on NE (said do today on NFLN). He’s always been kind to the team for some reason.

You win some and you lose some.

34. WCUPUNK

WCUPUNK Well-Known Member

QB, HB, TE, OL, DE, LB, CB, S improved while DT, K got worse, and Landry vs Amendola/Wilson would not argue with either side on better or worse. Don't really get it honestly. If Tannehill is back healthy there is no doubt this is playoff caliber roster.

maralieus and joenhre like this.
  35. BigNastyFish

BigNastyFish A True Fan

What's HB??? Beyond that -- Landry vs Amendola/Wilson is silly since only one can play same position same time. More still -- DT suffered HUGE! loss. Kicker? We don't know yet. But we certainly lost a "known" for an unknown at this point. QB improving (we hope but) Thill has gotta prove "it" plus overcome 1.5 years lost = not a given by any means. OL = yea I wanna agree but AGE is a serious ??? LB = pretty hard not to improve! But........... "playoff caliber roster" seems wishful thinking with so MANY unprovens and ???

36. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

“HalfBack”

37. PhishyPhishy

PhishyPhishy Well-Known Member

I was thinking it before but this article proves it. The 2019 Super Bowl will be a battle between the Seattle Seahawks and the Miami Dolphins.

ESPN blow hards know nothing. Go back and take a look at how they graded the Eagles during the off season last year.
    Or Minnesota, or Jacksonville, or the LA Rams
    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ckers-head-post-draft-2017-nfl-power-rankings

Just old men throwing s*** at a wall.

38. miami365

miami365 Rookie

I'm glad the days of being off season champs are over and we're actually drafting some talent. If Fitzpatrick, Gesicki along with McMillan, Tankersley and Harris ball not to mention Tunsil, Howard and Drake, they will be massive additions to the team.

39. DolfanISS

DolfanISS Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP

It's all big names and fantasy football that controls perception nowadays. Digest this, because of fantasy football there is no doubt in my mind that most non Dolphins fans think Andy Dalton, Kirk Cousins, Derrick Carr, Dak Prescott and Jimmy Garapolo are all far superior QB's to Tannehill. Reality to me is they are all in the same tier at least.

The national media is striking out on us and I'm going to be bullish about it. Barring injuries (and yes I do think this is the biggest factor in the NFL season, very few teams can overcome big injuries) I expect the return of Tannehill to bring the QB position from below average to above average. This will cause the whole team to make a jump regardless of the list of players we lost. Whether finheaven wants to admit it or not Mike Pouncey is probably more talented than a Center the 49ers made an offseason priority to replace. Even still Kilgore was an excellent pass blocker and I think the drop off will not affect the offense much at all. I also feel the addition of Sitton, Tunsil in his 2nd year at LT along with a healthy James will make for the best pass blocking unit we've had in the Tannehill era. I just can't believe the national media can't see this. As far as Landry goes I wanted to keep him but spreading those touches out amongst more explosive players, assuming they have the toughness to handle it, can hardly be seen as a negative. This is again fantasy football, especially PPR, and name recognition all the way. The more I think about how much perception of football revolves around fantasy the less I want to play this year. Personally I want the Miami offense to spread it around so much they frustrate fantasy owners into not knowing what guys to draft/play. I think that makes for the best offense.

We really haven't replaced Suh, no doubt we're expecting our young DT's to fill big shoes. We'll have to see how that plays out but with better LB play I hope we can tighten up the run defense. Other than that the defense should be better at every other positional group (DE, CB, S, LB). I know I'm about as biased as they come, especially in May, but I just don't know what the national media is seeing right now when they say we're #1 overall pick worthy. I mean if Ryan goes down maybe we're in the hunt otherwise no way.

40. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 We? What the **** we? Finheaven VIP Donator

You mean they rank these teams based on the year they have before? Well that’s just some scientific **** right there.

GUH-sick-EE likes this.