Which Team Declined Most After Offseason (dolphins, Seahawks) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Which Team Declined Most After Offseason (dolphins, Seahawks)

Dolph N.Fan

Active Roster
Reaction score
Kevin Seifert, national NFL writer: Miami Dolphins. Their plan is difficult to discern. They've parted ways with most of their best players, from Ndamukong Suh to Jarvis Landry, and added a crew of aging veterans that includes tailback Frank Gore(35 when the season begins), receiver Danny Amendola (32) and guard Josh Sitton (32). Their faith in quarterback Ryan Tannehill, who is returning from ACL surgery, is risky at best. The Dolphins aren't rebuilding in any functional way, but their roster is not ready to compete for a playoff spot, either. That's a major step back.

Mike Sando, senior NFL writer: Miami Dolphins. They subtracted Suh, Landry and Mike Pouncey. They appear to be a less talented team as a result.

Mike Clay, NFL writer: Miami Dolphins. It was hard not to think of the Chip Kelly-era Eagles when watching the Dolphins chase "culture" while moving on from talented players such as Jay Ajayi, Suh, Pouncey, Landry and Michael Thomas over the past several months. Miami is weak or below average at most positions and is suddenly a candidate for the first overall pick in next April's draft

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23474032/nfl-insiders-predict-best-worst-teams-free-agency-draft

Seattle and Miami were both cited 3 times in this article as being worse after the offseason moves.

Yeah everyone will go straight to bashing ESPN because they don’t think Miami will do anything this year. But realistically how could any non homer have any high expectations for Miami this year? I think this team’s ceiling if everything goes right is another one and done playoff appearance. I’m just expecting another average season.

I can see us at 8-8 this season or better.

Suh didn’t change our game play we still sucked. Landry will be missed. Not sure who else is worth crying over, oh well.
I don’t think Miami got worse or better with their FA moves. I don’t even think Landry will be missed. It’s all about the 2016, 2017, 2018 drafts proving they were worth being drafted. I think the FA moves were a wash to be honest.

I don't agree at all and there are a lot of reasons why, but I can also see why the media and most casual fans, or fans of other teams would think this. Most people who aren't a fan of Miami know little about them and hardly ever see them play, but they hear big names, they see big numbers on stat sheets, and they base players worth off of fantasy football.

we did add Robert Quinn who got 8.5 sacks playing out of position last year.

Every analyst want flashy names. Football is a team sport, why doesn't pittsburg ever when with there amazing talent or the Lions with Suh, Calvin and Stafford. These guys are over reacting. Miami has very few weaknesses and a lot of depth at a lot of positions.

Clueless people writing nonsense. I'll take the opinion of people who actually really know and have studied BOTH the players added and lost. Sorry IMO anyone who can't see that this team is better than the team that ended the 2017 doesn't have a clue.

when they mention Pouncey as a big loss, it makes me wonder how much they researched the team

Yes that right there shows how little they actually know. Like I said the people quoted in the OP are clueless when it comes to the Dolphins. Why would I care what someone has to say about a subject they haven't bothered to research in detail?

Ouch. Some kick in the pants reality. There's some things to be excited for, but a ton of question marks have to pan out for us to be a playoff team. And lately those question marks just don't seem to work out for us.

Can we get consistent, high level play from our QB, OL and LB groups?

Can't wait to see how improved OL is. Very excited to see McMillan again! Hopefully he's been deep in the playbook for the entire year.
Then, I'm excited to see how many rookies step up and contribute. Think Gesicki is going to open up this offense's capabilities.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23474032/nfl-insiders-predict-best-worst-teams-free-agency-draft

Seattle and Miami were both cited 3 times in this article as being worse after the offseason moves.

Yeah everyone will go straight to bashing ESPN because they don’t think Miami will do anything this year. But realistically how could any non homer have any high expectations for Miami this year? I think this team’s ceiling if everything goes right is another one and done playoff appearance. I’m just expecting another average season.

The fact of the matter is that we had all of those people on our team last year healthy and sucked. They didn't make a positive difference whether they were on the field or not. We didn't have Tannehill and were markedly worse, a whole different team worse. I'll take a healthy Tannehill and the young team we have now over all of those bloated contracts for Landry, Suh, Pouncey, and whiney Ajai. I like Thomas, we'll miss him. I'll bet that our offense scores more points, our defense allows less points, and we win more games this year than last.

when they mention Pouncey as a big loss, it makes me wonder how much they researched the team
One guy listed Michael Thomas as a key loss. Who's next? Damien Williams or Tony Fasano or maybe Anthony Steen. How can we win even 3 games without Steen?!?

ETA: I looked this guy, Mike Clay, up and found his specialty is fantasy football. Figures.

You can claim the Dolphins will be bad and find arguments for it. But someone pulls that "I can't see what the Dolphins are doing" crap, you know they are ignorant and lazy. Maybe the Dolphins' plan is foolhardy but it is clear what it is. Get faster, smarter, position-flexible players and concentrate on pass offense, pass rush, and pass coverage. And go all in on Tannehill this year.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom