Which Team Declined Most After Offseason (dolphins, Seahawks) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Which Team Declined Most After Offseason (dolphins, Seahawks)

Of all the teams he could choose from to pick the one who improved the most, this guy Seifert selected the jets only on the basis of them drafting Sam Darnold. The reality that Darnold arrives with many flaws and a questionable USC quarterback lineage not withstanding, he ignored everything else about the jets free agency. I would think that this opinion sufficiently impugns and cancels out his fins as the most decline team selection. It becomes a wash.

Ouch. Some kick in the pants reality. There's some things to be excited for, but a ton of question marks have to pan out for us to be a playoff team. And lately those question marks just don't seem to work out for us.

Can we get consistent, high level play from our QB, OL and LB groups?

Can't wait to see how improved OL is. Very excited to see McMillan again! Hopefully he's been deep in the playbook for the entire year.
Then, I'm excited to see how many rookies step up and contribute. Think Gesicki is going to open up this offense's capabilities.
Agreed I think the most exciting thing to look forward this year is how the rookies and 2nd year players perform.

I have to tell you, and I must be weird as I have seen only one other forum poster mention it;

But what I saw was Suh lining up on outside shoulder of guard, cutting across his face, and crashing into the center. He didn’t command a double team, he engaged one. Worse yet he drove the center into Phillips and ruined his chance to penetrate. He also left a gaping hole between him and Wake to run through.

His body of work makes it impossible denying his talent but IMHO he never improved our line and I’d have much rather had the likes of Starks. Stay home and play your assignment. That is why I think we paid so much to have him off our team. He was off the reservation and that encourages others to think they can be also. Ditto on Jay and Landry.

So yes, we lost some big time talent, but we also lost some big time freelancers.

One guy listed Michael Thomas as a key loss. Who's next? Damien Williams or Tony Fasano or maybe Anthony Steen. How can we win even 3 games without Steen?!?

ETA: I looked this guy, Mike Clay, up and found his specialty is fantasy football. Figures.

You can claim the Dolphins will be bad and find arguments for it. But someone pulls that "I can't see what the Dolphins are doing" crap, you know they are ignorant and lazy. Maybe the Dolphins' plan is foolhardy but it is clear what it is. Get faster, smarter, position-flexible players and concentrate on pass offense, pass rush, and pass coverage. And go all in on Tannehill this year.

Yeah Mike Clay is a fantasy football "writer". I took a look at some of his other "work" and it just strengthens my initial impression of him as being clueless.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23474032/nfl-insiders-predict-best-worst-teams-free-agency-draft

Seattle and Miami were both cited 3 times in this article as being worse after the offseason moves.

Yeah everyone will go straight to bashing ESPN because they don’t think Miami will do anything this year. But realistically how could any non homer have any high expectations for Miami this year? I think this team’s ceiling if everything goes right is another one and done playoff appearance. I’m just expecting another average season.

I'm always confused by these articles and posts from people here -- we weren't doing so amazing with those players last season, so why does moving on from them automatically mean we're worse off?

Sure, we're an easy target to pick on this year:
Suh is a clear loss of talent, but at such a high cost that we didn't seem to be able to add enough talent around him to actually make a difference. Landry had gaudy numbers, but mostly in the middle of the field. By the numbers he was our #1 receiver, but was nowhere near as impactful as a true #1. JA was gone long before the offseason and while his replacement doesn't have the same power game, he does seem to be willing to hit the hole the play calls for and we looked good with him on the field. Pouncey was such an injury risk and had such limitations, it's hard to understand how he even gets mentioned in this context.

Will we make the SB this year. Not a chance. Could we make a wild card run -- yes. I would consider a 1 and done playoff appearance a success because of how much of an overhaul we went through and the validation of the overall plan.

when they mention Pouncey as a big loss, it makes me wonder how much they researched the team

Pouncey is still getting by on his reputation from 4-5 yrs ago.
Strongly disagree that the team took a step back. I think they are much better than last yr and better (and deeper) than the 2016 playoff team.
Fitzpatrick, McMillan, Quinn, Baker markedly improve the defense and minimize the loss of Suh
Tannehill, Sitton, Gesecki, Wilson, Amendola>>Landry, Thomas, Cutler
I also anticipate continued improvement from Tunsil, Howard, Tankersly, Godchaux and Harris.
The development of young players is rarely taken into account when prognosticating the upcoming season and that is why there are always surprises and disappointments.

We have 11 players on the roster prior to Gase arrival. No excuses if RT stays healthy this year, a 10 win season SHOULD be expected. Anything less Gase is not who we and what he thinks he is. Last place schedule for awful season last year also removes loosing excuses.

That Mike Sando just seems like a rock star of the sports writing world. Please keep up the jabs writers. Make my team want to slay your opinions.

all that matters is the W/L column and we have to hope (2 flippers crossed) we've made corrections and perhaps a few additions via subtraction in terms of the teams overall composition and ON THE FIELD performance.

Gase has LOT to prove this year. Thill is right there as well.

If they get the job done they will deserve all the accolades. If the fail

>>>> get outta town!

BNF.

I really don't think that we have declined on Offense -

Did we decline at Quarterback? No - It is improved with Tannehill returning to lead the team. Cutler turned out to be a major disappointment last season. Tannehill is far more accurate.

Did we decline at Running Back? No - Drake has further upside and is likely to be better. Frank Gore had the 5th best yardage in the NFL last season and is definitely an upgrade on Damien Williams. He can also help to develop the young RBs. Drafting Ballage is further depth and a good big back for the future.

Did we decline at Wide Receiver? Time will tell. Jarvis Landry was very good but the team made a pragmatic call in not overpaying and has replaced him with Albert Wilson (who was pursued by multiple teams in Free Agency) and Danny Amendola - a proven successful, highly intelligent professional. Kenny Stills, DeVante Parker and Jakeem Grant round out the WR corps that has a broad range of skills that should improve with the return of Tannehill.

Did we decline at Tight End? No - Gesicki is potentially a huge upgrade after a disappointing season from Julius Thomas. Definite Offensive weapon that we have lacked. We also drafted Durham Smythe from Notre Dame for his blocking skills at TE.

Did we decline on the O-Line? No - Probably improved with the upgrade in coaching after the disruption from the sudden exit of Chris Foerster after the cocaine snorting episode to impress the Vegas stripper. In terms of players - Josh Sitton is a definite upgrade at Guard and I see little decline with the switch from Pouncey to Kilgore. Additionally, JuWuan James is returning fully healthy with something to prove and Tunsil has upside as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom