Which Team Declined Most After Offseason (dolphins, Seahawks) | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Which Team Declined Most After Offseason (dolphins, Seahawks)

The Tannehill upgrade over Cutler easily cancels out the losses of Suh, Landry, and Pouncey. IMO 6 wins is our floor with probably 9 wins as our ceiling. 10 if you want me to go all "homer" on you.

Also, counting Michael Thomas as a key loss? He was great on special teams, but listing him, you may as well list everyone that we lost...Cutler, Thomas, etc.

We didn’t get worse, we got better. Only big loss is Suh and I think rationalizing that he didn’t do much for us is incorrect. That said, one player on the d line isn’t going to determine the fortunes of our season. We need to score more PPG and score in the RZ - something we have not been able to do last year.

Of all the teams he could choose from to pick the one who improved the most, this guy Seifert selected the jets only on the basis of them drafting Sam Darnold. The reality that Darnold arrives with many flaws and a questionable USC quarterback lineage not withstanding, he ignored everything else about the jets free agency. I would think that this opinion sufficiently impugns and cancels out his fins as the most decline team selection. It becomes a wash.

Matt Leinart 2.0...maybe Todd Marinovich at the worst.

Dude's going to be the biggest bust of the draft.

That said...I think we win 10 this year.

Suh and Landry were the big losses, talent and production wise. Drake made it easier on the Ajayi trade, and Tannehiill is way better than Cutler. Other than that Kilgore+Sitton is better than Pouncey, Wilson+Amendola should be valuable, Quinn was a get, we drafted well, Lippett is coming back, and Raekwon will be a stud this year.

It's really just DT thats a huge ? So we'll have to see how it plays out in TC

With TH we should have double digit wins and scare teams in the playoffs. Suh and Landry will be missed, however, I feel the offense defense will be better.
We added 2 tight ends and slot receivers to replace Landry. Wow, more play makers to worry defenses.
And this is not through prim rose glasses.

Suh and Landry were the big losses, talent and production wise. Drake made it easier on the Ajayi trade, and Tannehiill is way better than Cutler. Other than that Kilgore+Sitton is better than Pouncey, Wilson+Amendola should be valuable, Quinn was a get, we drafted well, Lippett is coming back, and Raekwon will be a stud this year.

It's really just DT thats a huge ? So we'll have to see how it plays out in TC

Too many people focus on the alleged losses and cast off gains (or "potential" gains). I agree Suh is likely a noticeable loss. Landry is a loss, but I have doubts that will be noticeable after, say, games 5. Ajayi? Yawn. Pouncey? If Kilgore is a little less of an OC, the practicing every day with the ones will negate that, and, I think Kilgore/Pouncey are equal. OTOH, LBs should be an upgrade, as well as S, TE, RB (depth), OG, DE, CB (due to experience), QB (using Cutler as the standard), and OT, WR should be a wash. I see DT as the only potential downgrade and I'm not sure how much of a downgrade.

All of that, obviously, is projection, or, if you prefer, potential. Therein lies most of the debate. We know all of these upgrades won't be significant but not WHICH ones. We don't know how Gase and Burke will improve over last year. That's the fun of this time of year.

When I saw ESPN (Extra Special Patriots Network), rank Miami 30th out of 32 teams I did a double-take. Now this. Honestly, when I look at the team unit-by-unit it's mostly an average group.

On offense, I think the Dolphins will be a little bit above average with the return of Tannehill, Sitton added to the offensive line, Gesicki at tight end and Gore to complement Drake at running back. The receiving unit isn't exciting, but there is talent there.

What could destroy the season is the run defense. The front office didn't come close to replacing Suh and the defensive line is geared toward pass rushing, not stopping the run. Some nice additions on defense, though, with Fitzpatrick, Quinn and McMillan coming back.

To me this looks like a 6-8 win group, more if they stay healthy and certain players emerge. That's what Miami has going for them, lots of young players who could take their games up a notch like Tunsil, Drake, even Parker.

The Pats traded Brandin Cooks. Nate Solder, Danny Amendola, Dion Lewis and Malcolm Butler left in free agency (and Martysaurus Rex retired). And that's just off the top of my head.

I would think they declined more than we did. Then throw in Brady turning 58 this year.

Where did we get worse in the off-season? Suh. Suh is a great player, and I'm going to miss him. We're all going to miss him. Cody Parkey? Yes, he was excellent for us and we will miss him.

But offensively? I don't miss Pouncey, I don't miss Bushrod, and I certainly don't miss Julius freaking Thomas. I don't miss Damien Williams. I may miss Landry if Amendola can't stay healthy and Albert Wilson turns out to be a bust. I won't even MENTION the name Jay Cutler.

And I think that if Raekwon stays healthy, the additions of Quinn, Fitzpatrick, and McMillan will off-set the loss of Suh. I honestly think that if Fitzpatrick plays to his potential -- and his potential is All-Pro, just like Suh -- then that will be a net positive for our defense. I think that having a top shelf free safety (and again, let's be fair, that's speculation) can transform a defense far more than a great defensive tackle.

Back
Top Bottom