Which team had the best draft ever? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Which team had the best draft ever?

Danny

Finheaven VIP
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
With all the talk about who did good or bad in this year's draft I started thinking about who had the best draft ever. I know is been a while since we had a truely great draft. I know JJ had some good drafts, specially on players for our defence and he had some good ones in Dallas too. I know SF had a couple of real good drafts too but I think that PITT had the greatest draft ever back in the 70's(can't remember the exact year)but they drafted a few probowlers and maybe even 2 or 3 HOFamers?Does anyone remember or want to do some research on this? Anyway, that's your homework for today.. :D

Ozzy rules!!

1974 Steelers' Draft Greatest Ever
In 1974 the Pittsburgh Steelers hit the motherload when they selected four future Hall of Fame players: wide receiver Lynn Swan in round 1, linebacker Jack Lambert in round 2, wide receiver John Stallworth in round 4 and center Mike Webster in round 5. No other draft has produced more than two Hall of Famers

I was going to say the 74 Steelers, but I didn't know who the particular HOF'ers were.

Not sure of the year

But 49er fans know that the draft when they selected Tom Rathman, Charles Haley and a few others I can't seem to remember. I do know that they didn't have a first round that year which makes that draft all the more unbelievable.

74 Steelers by far. Four hall of famers in one draft. No other team has ever drafted two in the same draft. I saw that blurb on Sportscenter the other day...as well as right above me. As for the second greatest draft in history...that would be a good debate.

from a Phins perspective we did not have many drafts that will go down in history

1 Dan Marino (27) QB Pittsburgh
2 Mike Charles (55) DT Syracuse
6 Reggie Roby (167) P Iowa
8 Mark Clayton (223) WR Louisville
9 Mark Brown (250) LB Purdue
12 x-Anthony Carter (334) WR Michigan
http://www.miamidolphins.com/history/alltimedraftchoices/alltimedraftchoices5.asp#1983

1a Larry Csonka (8) RB Syracuse
1b Doug Crusan (27) T Indiana
(from Cincinnati for John Stofa)
3b Dick Anderson (73) S Colorado
5 Jim Kiick (118) RB Wyoming
http://www.miamidolphins.com/history/alltimedraftchoices/alltimedraftchoices2.asp#1968

but if you include trades this is our best by far:
1 TO CLEVELAND for Paul Warfield (3)
2 Jim Mandich (29) TE Michigan
3 Tim Foley (55) CB Purdue
4 Curtis Johnson (81) CB Toledo
5 TO NEW ENGLAND in Buoniconti deal (107)
7 Jake Scott (159) S Georgia
12 Mike Kolen (289) LB Auburn
http://www.miamidolphins.com/history/alltimedraftchoices/alltimedraftchoices3.asp#1970

Yeah, 1970 was a pretty good draft...2 HOFs and one that should be (Scott) and several that were big contributors (Mandich, Foley, Johnson and Kolen...)

That San Francisco draft everyone talks about was a very good draft. I don't know of another draft that selected as many starters as this one did, without a first round pick:

2nd round - Larry Roberts DE Alabama
3rd round - Tom Rathman RB Nebraska
3rd round - Tim McKyer DB Texas-Arlington
3rd round - John Taylor WR Delaware State
4th round - Charles Haley DE James Madison
4th round - Steve Wallace OT Auburn
4th round - Kevin ***an DT Miami
6th round - Don Griffin DB Middle Tennessee State

All of these players became starters for the 49ers and were the core of the 88 and 89 Superbowl teams.

The Redskins had a good draft in 1981.

1st round-Mark May

3rd round-Russ Grimm

5th round-Dexter Manley

8th round-Charlie Brown

12th round-Daryl Grant

undrafted free agents- Joe Jacoby, Jeff Bostic.

I thought you guys would say the Saints 1999 draft :lol:

1 5 Ricky Williams RB Texas

But seriously...no draft matches the steelers draft. I'll throw in a couple of the saints better drafts.

First 5 picks in 1986 were pretty solid
1 6 6 Jim Dombrowski OT Virginia
2 4 31 Dalton Hilliard RB LSU
3 2 57 Rueben Mayes RB Washington State
3 5 60 Pat Swilling LB Georgia Tech
3 7 62 Barry Word RB Virginia

And some of the better picks from 1981
1 1 1 George Rogers RB South Carolina
2 23 51 Ricky Jackson LB Pittsburgh
3 1 57 Frank Warren DE Auburn
3 15 71 Hoby Brenner TE USC
10 1 249 Hokie Gajan RB LSU
12 1 305 Jim Wilks DT San Diego State

The 83 Bears draft brought them 6 starters for the 85 Super Bowl.

1 6 Covert, Jimbo T Pittsburgh
1 18 Gault, Willie WR Tennessee
2 33 Richardson, Mike DB Arizona State
3 64 Duerson, Dave S Notre Dame
4 91 Thayer, Tom G Notre Dame
8 203 Dent, Richard DE Tennessee State

Omaha_Dolfan said:
Just stumbled on to this ... think it fits perfectly ....

http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=2339696

Just goes to show ... you cant tell anything till they throw the pads on and start playing.
Ok, that 74 draft by PITT was the one I was talking about but couldn't remember all the players. That was pretty amazing to get all those HOFamers in one draft.

Ozzy rules!!

Back
Top Bottom