Who Actually Likes 17 Games? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who Actually Likes 17 Games?

The more the merrier. Expand the roster too, and increase the cap as well.
I don't think they're increasing the roster until they get to 18 games. Really the league only removed one preseason game to so call make the transition to 17 games easier. Unless they did something else I'm unaware of.

I love 17 regular season games. I do think though that something needs to be done with Preseason. Maybe mandating more play time for players not on that roster from the previous season, having longer with rosters maxed so we can see more rookies and Free Agents trying to make the roster.

I like tradition and I'm not a fan that this will inevitably cause more solid records to be broken simply to more games. With that said, I will obviously enjoy more football versus less football.

I like tradition and I'm not a fan that this will inevitably cause more solid records to be broken simply to more games. With that said, I will obviously enjoy more football versus less football.
Last 10 years or so it seems like the NFL is implementing something new every season. I can kind of see how that could turn a lot of traditionalist nfl fans off.

I don’t like it either. How much can you ask of the players and still pretend to care about their safety? Thursday night games and now a 17 game regular season with only one bye week throughout. I really hope the players stick it to the owners in the next cba negotiations.

A little OT, but why not have a third of teams have a bye week 8, a third week 9, a third week 10. Still enough games for TV obligations. Don't know why teams would be happy with a bye and then happily play 10 games

I’m probably in the minority but I think 17 games is not necessary. Well for one I know all too well that Miami probably would have made the playoffs a lot more times this century if the season was 15 games long instead of 16 and now 17 games with last season being a prime example lol

Anyway I know most will say more football is always good, but I feel like it’s going to degrade the playoffs even more as we know players can’t even last 10 games rarely 16 or 17 now. So many players going to be out with injuries come round one of the playoffs mid January now.

probably going to have two weeks now of teams with everything clinched in week 15 not playing anyone affecting playoff races.

It’s a shame $$$ outweighs all cons in every decision the NFL makes lol
Personally I prefer the 14 game schedule the NFL played until 1978. As the number of games has increased, the number of players missing games due to injuries has increased. Eight division games and six games against teams from the other divisions or conferences and is plenty for me.

Of course most of the posters on the forum are too young to have seen the NFL when there was a 14 game regular season.

I think they should go to 16 games spread out to 14 days in between games intead of 7.
32 week season but still only 16 games.

Hey, I'll admit it ... I'm an NFL junkie. I want more football. It's like cowbell. I got a fever ... and the only perscription is .................. More Cowbell.

So yes, to answer your question I DO want more games. I actually would prefer they have 3 bye weeks and extend the season to 18 games over 21 weeks. Why? Because I freakin' love the NFL! I'm addicted. Hey, Christopher Walken is addicted to more cowbell ... and I'm addicted to more NFL.

And for those of you who want the OG full version without any techno-adaptation ... here it is.

P.S. The Lounge says hi.
LINK

Last edited:
I've said this for years, the NFL plays way too few games. No team sport in the world plays so few. Having played both Rugby and Soccer I can tell you that both sports put a hell of a lot on your body, they play for the full 90mins or 80mins and pro athletes in those sports play a hell of a lot more games. If there is a genuine concern about the wear and tear, then insert more bye weeks, make bigger rosters, surely that helps the NFLPA get more members full time careers.

Going to 17 games a season is nothing really, they should go to 22 in my view. That way they could make a much more consistent schedule where everyone plays everyone in their division twice, everyone outside of their division but in their conference once and then play the remaining 4 games against a division in the other conference. Get rid of all pre-season games and you only need to find 2 more weeks here.

Just my 2 cents, I'm sure I've angered a bunch of folks here so bring it on :)

Back
Top Bottom