Who Actually Likes 17 Games? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who Actually Likes 17 Games?

I like 17 games but I think they could have eliminated the pre-season games and added a second bye week.

I’m probably in the minority but I think 17 games is not necessary. Well for one I know all too well that Miami probably would have made the playoffs a lot more times this century if the season was 15 games long instead of 16 and now 17 games with last season being a prime example lol

Anyway I know most will say more football is always good, but I feel like it’s going to degrade the playoffs even more as we know players can’t even last 10 games rarely 16 or 17 now. So many players going to be out with injuries come round one of the playoffs mid January now.

probably going to have two weeks now of teams with everything clinched in week 15 not playing anyone affecting playoff races.

It’s a shame $$$ outweighs all cons in every decision the NFL makes lol
I'd take year around football if I could get it. 17 isn't as good as the 18 we'll have in a few years hopefully.

I like 17 games but I think they could have eliminated the pre-season games and added a second bye week.
They didn't eliminate PS because then there's no incentive when the NFL makes the push to go to 18 which was the plan. 17 is only a compromise for now. So they'll do a no more PS if we go to 18. That'll probably cause some longer camps.

They didn't eliminate PS because then there's no incentive when the NFL makes the push to go to 18 which was the plan. 17 is only a compromise for now. So they'll do a no more PS if we go to 18. That'll probably cause some longer camps.
That makes sense. I do think each team needs 2 bye weeks, they can schedule it so each team never plays more than 6 games in a row. That should help with injuries/rehabs/recovery and allow teams a better opportunity to field their best players.

I've said this for years, the NFL plays way too few games. No team sport in the world plays so few. Having played both Rugby and Soccer I can tell you that both sports put a hell of a lot on your body, they play for the full 90mins or 80mins and pro athletes in those sports play a hell of a lot more games. If there is a genuine concern about the wear and tear, then insert more bye weeks, make bigger rosters, surely that helps the NFLPA get more members full time careers.

Going to 17 games a season is nothing really, they should go to 22 in my view. That way they could make a much more consistent schedule where everyone plays everyone in their division twice, everyone outside of their division but in their conference once and then play the remaining 4 games against a division in the other conference. Get rid of all pre-season games and you only need to find 2 more weeks here.

Just my 2 cents, I'm sure I've angered a bunch of folks here so bring it on :)
Sounds good. It’d be nice if it were a 24 week season, with 22 games (no preseason) and 2 byes in 1-12 then 13-24. 6+ months of football.

I don’t like it either. How much can you ask of the players and still pretend to care about their safety? Thursday night games and now a 17 game regular season with only one bye week throughout. I really hope the players stick it to the owners in the next cba negotiations.
Safety? They are highly overpaid to play a kids game...the risks that are involved in playing the sport are optional if they want the big money they are paid. If they don’t want it...go find another job that treats them as well as being a professional athlete...they won’t!

I have no problem with 17 games other than the record books are meaningless...but they already were anyway with the ever changing rules making the game “softer” and easier to promote more scoring.

They will probably need to enlarge the rosters somehow to allow for more injuries.

Safety? They are highly overpaid to play a kids game...the risks that are involved in playing the sport are optional if they want the big money they are paid. If they don’t want it...go find another job that treats them as well as being a professional athlete...they won’t!

I have no problem with 17 games other than the record books are meaningless...but they already were anyway with the ever changing rules making the game “softer” and easier to promote more scoring.

They will probably need to enlarge the rosters somehow to allow for more injuries.
Bottom line. They care more about money then safety as much as they cry about it. I'm all for safety of players but they get paid huge dollars to play a sport.

the Player vote was pretty close but in the end players sacrificed their health for more money. It's funny now that players seem more vocal now about being against 17 games.

Zach Thomas says quickly and without hesitation that he would’ve taken years out of his life for a ring.

I’m good with the addition as long as it doesn’t translate to 1 of the games being international every season.

Back
Top Bottom