Who Actually Likes 17 Games? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who Actually Likes 17 Games?

I’m probably in the minority but I think 17 games is not necessary. Well for one I know all too well that Miami probably would have made the playoffs a lot more times this century if the season was 15 games long instead of 16 and now 17 games with last season being a prime example lol

Anyway I know most will say more football is always good, but I feel like it’s going to degrade the playoffs even more as we know players can’t even last 10 games rarely 16 or 17 now. So many players going to be out with injuries come round one of the playoffs mid January now.

probably going to have two weeks now of teams with everything clinched in week 15 not playing anyone affecting playoff races.

It’s a shame $$$ outweighs all cons in every decision the NFL makes lol
I’m with you. I wouldn’t mind the season being extended but the injuries would just mount. How about the SB being a best of 3 series instead?

20210401_050940.jpg

This is chart of injured players (including players playing with injuries) by week.

The orange line is new weekly injuries (week 1 is skewed bc it includes offseason, training camp, and preseason)

The blue line shows the cumulative injuries over time.

Supringly, players don't really seem to suffer injuries at a higher rate as the season goes on. But the one injury that does increase is concussions, which is the most concerning type IMO. I take the toll that this game takes on player's brains much more seriously than I do towards their bodies.

And the cumulative injuries are only going to rise as we add more games. I get they are removing a preseason game, but starters don't play all that much in preseason.

In 2019, the percent of snaps the average starter played in preseason games was 13.8% compared to 81.3% in regular season games.

Based on these numbers we can roughly predict that by switching out a preason for regular season game that 23.9% of the league will be injured in week 18. As opposed to it being 23.4% in the final week of the current 17 week schedule. That might not seem like a big difference, but that extra 0.5% could include some key starters and big names.

I'm not a fan. I don't think it is good for the player's health. And I care more about the quality of the playoffs than I do one extra regular season game.

Last edited:
It’s beyond stupid and anyone who thinks this is a good idea is.......
These players can’t walk after a game. I played college ball and it was the toughest week ever after a game
The game is already watered down because of Thursday night football which was another terrible decision
Too many injured already, this is really screwing the players and the quality of the game

The players voted for it.
The owners voted for it
I get more to watch more football, what’s not to like?
In an ideal world there would be another bye week and bigger game day squad but bring that in when they get to 18 games and I won’t mind.

I’m probably in the minority but I think 17 games is not necessary. Well for one I know all too well that Miami probably would have made the playoffs a lot more times this century if the season was 15 games long instead of 16 and now 17 games with last season being a prime example lol

Anyway I know most will say more football is always good, but I feel like it’s going to degrade the playoffs even more as we know players can’t even last 10 games rarely 16 or 17 now. So many players going to be out with injuries come round one of the playoffs mid January now.

probably going to have two weeks now of teams with everything clinched in week 15 not playing anyone affecting playoff races.

It’s a shame $$$ outweighs all cons in every decision the NFL makes lol
Not sure how it will affect playoffs but I agree I was content with 16. I think you have to look at the quality of your product first and foremost. It stands to reason this is a punishing sport and more games doesn't help that. Sadly, in all pro sports the default seems to be "more is better" but it at times isn't.

I look at hockey that now plays 82 games and actually did drop it from 84 from years ago. But that was before they upped it from 70 a few times. 70 would probably be ideal for rest and recovery and just making it a better on-ice product.

I'm sure these are the same discussions (not online of course) in the 70's when they moved from 14 t o16. Now 17 and that will lead to 18.

the Player vote was pretty close but in the end players sacrificed their health for more money. It's funny now that players seem more vocal now about being against 17 games.
I don't think they really voted for 17 games. They voted for the new CBA of which that was part of the deal. In order to reject 17 games they would have had to reject the CBA proposal so it put them in a tough spot.

I don't think they really voted for 17 games. They voted for the new CBA of which that was part of the deal. In order to reject 17 games they would have had to reject the CBA proposal so it put them in a tough spot.
They didn’t per se, it was more of “hey players if you vote yes on this for the stuff you want we get the option for a 17 game schedule” from the owners.

Overall I’m just tired of changes every season. 7 playoff teams last year, another game this year. Wanna change the OT rules, or change touchbacks, or add these lame international games, Reviewing PI calls etc All division games last week of the season has gotten old. Really tired of Miami having to play in Buffalo or New England last week of the season, often times to make the playoffs every season. Rather it be all conference games the final week of the season.

Not sure how it will affect playoffs but I agree I was content with 16. I think you have to look at the quality of your product first and foremost. It stands to reason this is a punishing sport and more games doesn't help that. Sadly, in all pro sports the default seems to be "more is better" but it at times isn't.

I look at hockey that now plays 82 games and actually did drop it from 84 from years ago. But that was before they upped it from 70 a few times. 70 would probably be ideal for rest and recovery and just making it a better on-ice product.

I'm sure these are the same discussions (not online of course) in the 70's when they moved from 14 t o16. Now 17 and that will lead to 18.
I remember when hockey was a 62 game season
Best in your face hockey ever
Now it’s boring crap for about 20 games in the middle of the season

154 games vs. 162 games in baseball is the only reason Babe Ruth isn't the legit HR king in MLB. 60 in 154 vs 61* for Roger Marris in 1961. Well..the others above that are all steroid using cheats. So yeah...Stats will fall! Eventually!

154 games vs. 162 games in baseball is the only reason Babe Ruth isn't the legit HR king in MLB. 60 in 154 vs 61* for Roger Marris in 1961. Well..the others above that are all steroid using cheats. So yeah...Stats will fall! Eventually!
QB just has to average 353 ypg now for 6k yards

View attachment 72735

This is chart of injured players (including players playing with injuries) by week.

The orange line is new weekly injuries (week 1 is skewed bc it includes offseason, training camp, and preseason)

The blue line shows the cumulative injuries over time.

Supringly, players don't really seem to suffer injuries at a higher rate as the season goes on. But the one injury that does increase is concussions, which is the most concerning type IMO. I take the toll that this game takes on player's brains much more seriously than I do towards their bodies.

And the cumulative injuries are only going to rise as we add more games. I get they are removing a preseason game, but starters don't play all that much in preseason.

In 2019, the percent of snaps the average starter played in preseason games was 13.8% compared to 81.3% in regular season games.

Based on these numbers we can roughly predict that by switching out a preason for regular season game that 23.9% of the league will be injured in week 18. As opposed to it being 23.4% in the final week of the current 17 week schedule. That might not seem like a big difference, but that extra 0.5% could include some key starters and big names.

I'm not a fan. I don't think it is good for the player's health. And I care more about the quality of the playoffs than I do one extra regular season game.

Interesting chart but this obsession the NFL and NFLPA have with injuries is a bit ridiculous in my view. Every professional elite sport has to contend with injuries, it's part of the risk, you can do your best to minimise the risk by making a sport safer, like the targeting rule or the safety changes made over the years in F1. But whenever athletes compete injuries are unavoidable. These athletes should be aware of the risks and are handsomely rewarded for taking them.

I think it's a bit ludicrous that such a popular sport as the NFL is over for most of it's teams inside a few months and 16/17 games. These professional athletes get about 5 months off before even having to report back for training camps, no wonder a lot go off the rails, it's too much free time for instant rich young men.

It's a violent sport at times, and obviously takes a toll on the body, but you can't tell me that young men in the prime of their lives can't play more than 16 games a season.

Overall I’m just tired of changes every season. 7 playoff teams last year, another game this year. Wanna change the OT rules, or change touchbacks, or add these lame international games, Reviewing PI calls etc All division games last week of the season has gotten old. Really tired of Miami having to play in Buffalo or New England last week of the season, often times to make the playoffs every season. Rather it be all conference games the final week of the season.
I do hate the unbalanced schedule. I dont like playing NE, Buf and NYJ twice every year while playing Nfc teams once every 4 years. Playing each team in the division once per year is enough

Back
Top Bottom