Who Actually Likes 17 Games? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who Actually Likes 17 Games?

I do hate the unbalanced schedule. I dont like playing NE, Buf and NYJ twice every year while playing Nfc teams once every 4 years. Playing each team in the division once per year is enough
Wouldn’t be surprised if Miami is on the road in New England or Buffalo again Week 18 this year

One bye week per team, and every player must have one additional bye week through the course of the season. What week you sitting your starting QB because you are comfortable with the matchup? Same for every other position. How many times is player x a scratch just before kickoff, or doesn't come out for the second half because of any number of reasons. How many times does a player wait one more game to return from an injury because he really isn't "needed" due to the opponent. You really could manage working a 2nd game off. Expand the damn practice squad in order to move players around. There are ways for the league and union to work it out if it's what they are really serious about more games and player safety.

The more games they add, the less important the individual games are.

17 is fine but thats it, no more additions in the future

Interesting chart but this obsession the NFL and NFLPA have with injuries is a bit ridiculous in my view. Every professional elite sport has to contend with injuries, it's part of the risk, you can do your best to minimise the risk by making a sport safer, like the targeting rule or the safety changes made over the years in F1. But whenever athletes compete injuries are unavoidable. These athletes should be aware of the risks and are handsomely rewarded for taking them.

I think it's a bit ludicrous that such a popular sport as the NFL is over for most of it's teams inside a few months and 16/17 games. These professional athletes get about 5 months off before even having to report back for training camps, no wonder a lot go off the rails, it's too much free time for instant rich young men.

It's a violent sport at times, and obviously takes a toll on the body, but you can't tell me that young men in the prime of their lives can't play more than 16 games a season.
I mentioned that I view concussions and other injuries very differently. I don't mind if someone is willing to risk ending up in a wheelchair to play the sport they love (while getting handsomely rewarded) at all.

But head injuries that can cause you to lose your mental faculties and sanity are very different to me. You can only diagnose CTE after someone dies. But every estimate from studies done on deceased players (while limited due to selection bias) show this to be something that should be taken very seriously.

The fact that concussions begin occurring at a more frequent rate right around the midpoint of the season has a strong impact on how I feel about adding more games.

And I think it's easier for players to understand what they are sacrificing w every other part of their body much more than w a neurodegenerative brain disease that can't even be measured in a living person.

I mentioned that I view concussions and other injuries very differently. I don't mind if someone is willing to risk ending up in a wheelchair to play the sport they love (while getting handsomely rewarded) at all.

But head injuries that can cause you to lose your mental faculties and sanity are very different to me. You can only diagnose CTE after someone dies. But every estimate from studies done on deceased players (while limited due to selection bias) show this to be something that should be taken very seriously.

The fact that concussions begin occurring at a more frequent rate right around the midpoint of the season has a strong impact on how I feel about adding more games.

Such drama, you only hear this from the NFL. Every sport has an element of risk to it, you are pushing your body to the extreme, that's the nature of the job these sportsmen and women have chosen. We would all love to do it I'm sure and therefore all prepared to take that risk.

Like I said, no other team sport in the world players fewer games, it's not even closer. And in the NFL, you have a 60 minute game and 3 separate groups of players to play it. The maximum time anyone is actually physically exerting themselves is about 30 mins I would think. I believe this emanates because the game started out in college where student "amateur" athletes naturally had other things they needed to focus on. For whatever reason they decided professionals needed to live by this same limitation and have every so slowly increased it slightly over the years.

You can't tell me rugby for example is anything less of a physical stress on your body and they play it with out the pads and protection that the NFL have in place. The English Premiership is a 22 game season with a further 10 or so games played in European and domestic cup competitions. The Elite players play around 10 or more internationals. That's an 80 minute without the natural breaks afforded in the NFL as O switches to D or we cut to commercials, there is also no rolling substitutions, once a player is subbed he's done for the game.

There's danger in all sports, the NFL is no different, you can mitigate it through additional rest periods, promoting and enforcing better tackling, increasing roster sizes, there are plenty of currently out of work football players that would love the opportunity to prove themselves in the league.

Honestly we are getting to the point where in order to keep every as "safe" as possible why don't we just reduce the season to 2 games ? Or let's do it virtually, give everyone an xbox and a copy of Madden.

They'll get to 18. The players will cry foul about it publicly but money talks and they'll gladly accept it with pay increases. I hope the length of the season is reflected in roster sizes and minimum salaries.

Such drama, you only hear this from the NFL. Every sport has an element of risk to it, you are pushing your body to the extreme, that's the nature of the job these sportsmen and women have chosen. We would all love to do it I'm sure and therefore all prepared to take that risk.

Like I said, no other team sport in the world players fewer games, it's not even closer. And in the NFL, you have a 60 minute game and 3 separate groups of players to play it. The maximum time anyone is actually physically exerting themselves is about 30 mins I would think. I believe this emanates because the game started out in college where student "amateur" athletes naturally had other things they needed to focus on. For whatever reason they decided professionals needed to live by this same limitation and have every so slowly increased it slightly over the years.

You can't tell me rugby for example is anything less of a physical stress on your body and they play it with out the pads and protection that the NFL have in place. The English Premiership is a 22 game season with a further 10 or so games played in European and domestic cup competitions. The Elite players play around 10 or more internationals. That's an 80 minute without the natural breaks afforded in the NFL as O switches to D or we cut to commercials, there is also no rolling substitutions, once a player is subbed he's done for the game.

There's danger in all sports, the NFL is no different, you can mitigate it through additional rest periods, promoting and enforcing better tackling, increasing roster sizes, there are plenty of currently out of work football players that would love the opportunity to prove themselves in the league.

Honestly we are getting to the point where in order to keep every as "safe" as possible why don't we just reduce the season to 2 games ? Or let's do it virtually, give everyone an xbox and a copy of Madden.
Was my stance that I wasn't in favor of the extra game or that the NFL should be converted to an online Madden league?

I'll have to look back and check.

How about NHL players? That amount of time on the ice, speed, and physical contact would have some NFL players cryin' for momma!

How about NHL players? That amount of time on the ice, speed, and physical contact would have some NFL players cryin' for momma!

Totally, it's crazy how the NFLPA have created this environment of protection around the players. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not dismissing the dangers of playing the sport but if we get to the point where there are more safeguards in place that take away from the game itself, what are we left with ? There's a big debate in soccer right now with the link between dementia and heading the ball, I'm sure it will get to the a state where folks are going to push for a ban on that, tbh I'm not sure I want to watch a game where the ball can't go over head height. Heaven knows where it will end Boxing and MMA have no chance !

Totally, it's crazy how the NFLPA have created this environment of protection around the players. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not dismissing the dangers of playing the sport but if we get to the point where there are more safeguards in place that take away from the game itself, what are we left with ? There's a big debate in soccer right now with the link between dementia and heading the ball, I'm sure it will get to the a state where folks are going to push for a ban on that, tbh I'm not sure I want to watch a game where the ball can't go over head height. Heaven knows where it will end Boxing and MMA have no chance !
I do believe in player safety so take what I'll say next in the appropriate context.

We are becoming more and more aware of the dangers associated with concussions, especially CTE and effects felt later in life. However, we're talking about people that make more money in a year (many of them) than most of us make in a lifetime. Other professions have salary commensurate with risk (ie under water welding). I'm more sympathetic to the dangers of the sport at the lower levels all the way through college.

That said, I always respect a guy that walks away in his prime because he's satisfied with what he's accomplished and what football has given them rather than chase more money and possibly compromise their post-football lifestyle.

Back
Top Bottom