Who Actually Likes 17 Games? | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who Actually Likes 17 Games?

I love more football, I could care less about records, players whining about playing another game, blah blah blah...as a fan who can't get enough football give me more football and im happy. Heck start preseason in July!

Two games too much pre season, one game too much regular season.

the Player vote was pretty close but in the end players sacrificed their health for more money. It's funny now that players seem more vocal now about being against 17 games.

Don't they do that every game, or at least take that risk every game?

I absolutely love it, makes the season longer and football is my favorite sport. Plus, four pre-season games were a complete waste of time
I think they ought to give them two weeks of no games also!!

Yeah they never did say they were implementing a 2nd bye with this 17 game schedule did they? I think they should give every one a bye within weeks 1-8 and and then again within weeks 9-18 or whatever.
I concur on that point!

I'm down for more games. Responsible teams will need to better limit/manage player workloads, but that's another layer of team management for me to enjoy as a fan.

Personally I prefer the 14 game schedule the NFL played until 1978. As the number of games has increased, the number of players missing games due to injuries has increased. Eight division games and six games against teams from the other divisions or conferences and is plenty for me.

Of course most of the posters on the forum are too young to have seen the NFL when there was a 14 game regular season.
I agree...14 games was phenomenal, parallel to college teams playing 10-11 games. That was unquestionably football at its best. The level of intensity each week was incredible given 8 of 14 games within the division. That's why it was much more difficult to string together huge percentage of victories. Teams would play 4 or more consecutive bitter division games. Rivalries meant something in that era, given so many division games and so few playoff spots. It was college level intensity and bragging rights. Then once the string of division games ended there would be flat spots all over the place. Any Given Sunday was situational. In 1972 the Dolphins went unbeaten. Nobody else lost fewer than 3 times. Nowadays the teams with dominant quarterbacks own such ridiculous advantage via rules and low percentage of division games it's difficult for them to lose 3 games period, even among 16 or 17.

College teams in that era didn't have the cupcake games to pad the bankroll. Not a dependable allotment of them, anyway, There would be mega non-conference games on the docket every week. I remember as teenagers my friends and I would look forward to those games wide eyed while emphasizing that one of the two teams would be eliminated from national championship contention. This was every week every year. Bowl games were also at risk because there were so comparatively few of them. It was like playoffs all season long. The bowl bids separated programs that mattered from those that did not.

Plus it was awesome timing for the NFL playoffs to begin during the holidays and likewise the college bowls. Families would reunite and watch football together throughout the holidays. It would typically start with the Liberty Bowl on December 17 or 18 and build toward awesome New Year's Day college football suspense, then the Super Bowl a couple of weeks later.

I don't know how we got away from that. I'm just glad I was able to witness all of it. Likewise when centers dominated basketball. I never thought that would change either. Those games were like heavyweight championship fights: Wilt vs. Russell. Wilt vs Kareem. In fact, the only athletes held in greater awe than basketball centers were the heavyweight greats like Ali and Frazier and Foreman.

Now we've got UFC. Sorry, it is impossible not to laugh.

I do hate the unbalanced schedule. I dont like playing NE, Buf and NYJ twice every year while playing Nfc teams once every 4 years. Playing each team in the division once per year is enough
Dumb logic, your post makes zero sense
you need to play your division rivals twice a year. That’s what creates division, and what helps separate the season record at seasons end
why do you need to see us play NFC division teams??? Makes no sense. As far as I’m concerned we shouldn’t even see the NFC until the SB

I’ll like it a lot if our seventeenth game matters. Otherwise it’s just another week of watching bad football.

View attachment 72735

This is chart of injured players (including players playing with injuries) by week.

The orange line is new weekly injuries (week 1 is skewed bc it includes offseason, training camp, and preseason)

The blue line shows the cumulative injuries over time.

Supringly, players don't really seem to suffer injuries at a higher rate as the season goes on. But the one injury that does increase is concussions, which is the most concerning type IMO. I take the toll that this game takes on player's brains much more seriously than I do towards their bodies.

And the cumulative injuries are only going to rise as we add more games. I get they are removing a preseason game, but starters don't play all that much in preseason.

In 2019, the percent of snaps the average starter played in preseason games was 13.8% compared to 81.3% in regular season games.

Based on these numbers we can roughly predict that by switching out a preason for regular season game that 23.9% of the league will be injured in week 18. As opposed to it being 23.4% in the final week of the current 17 week schedule. That might not seem like a big difference, but that extra 0.5% could include some key starters and big names.

I'm not a fan. I don't think it is good for the player's health. And I care more about the quality of the playoffs than I do one extra regular season game.
Does prevalence take into account returning players or simply cumulative injuries?

Back
Top Bottom