Who Actually Likes 17 Games? | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who Actually Likes 17 Games?

Does prevalence take into account returning players or simply cumulative injuries?
Yes. Otherwise the cumulative numbers would be equal to adding the injury rate of each each previous week together.

The cumulative number is the percentage of players injured that specific week. The increase makes sense since plenty of injuries are long term or season ending. So it increases even though the weekly rate is basically static.

So the longer the season, the higher the percentage will be as we enter the playoffs.

Yes. Otherwise the cumulative numbers would be equal to adding the injury rate of each each previous week together.

The cumulative number is the percentage of players injured that specific week. This makes sense since plenty of injuries are long term or season ending. So it increases even though the weekly rate is basically static.

So the longer the season, the higher the percentage will be as we enter the playoffs.
Thats what I thought. Another thing that adding a game will accomplish is weed out bad teams imo, the more trials you have the more you're weeding out luck of the results. In conjunction to adding a playoff team, those 2 things make it the true best teams are more likely to get in and also that there will be more teams in the thick of it later in the season, lowering the number of teams that are actually "tanking".

Thats what I thought. Another thing that adding a game will accomplish is weed out bad teams imo, the more trials you have the more you're weeding out luck of the results. In conjunction to adding a playoff team, those 2 things make it the true best teams are more likely to get in and also that there will be more teams in the thick of it later in the season, lowering the number of teams that are actually "tanking".
Yeah, each sport seems to have an amount of games where you basically reach a rough equilibrium in the standings.

This is why I think a sport like basketball (I'm not a baseball fan so I won't speak on that) actually has too many games. Nothing to with player health. Teams are just fighting over minor seeding differences for around the last 20 games. Only really matters to those fighting for the last spot. At least for me, a certain degree of fan fatigue sets in and I'm just waiting for the playoffs because not nearly enough games actually matter.

Football doesn't have near the number of games to reach that. I do love that each regular season game in football matters so much more than in other sports, but one game wouldn't take away from that. Adding an extra game would remove a little of the luck factor u mention, and get us closer to seeing the true best teams making the playoffs. But I don't think we could ever add enough games to reach the equilibrium I'm speaking of.

I don't think we'll see much change in tanking, but I think it would be a slight increase if anything. Yes, the extra game would leave some more teams in the hunt a little longer. But overall more games would be played by teams that are mathematically eliminated. Though I don't consider tanking to be a big problem in football (especially when u compare it to a sport like basketball) and it would still mostly be seen among the bottom dwellars that wouldn't be impacted by the change.

But until having an 18 week season feels like the norm, I could see eliminated teams using it as an extra excuse to play even more garbage lineups in that additional and unfamiliar week. Not like we don't see some of that in the current final week anyway. At worst, a short term issue I'm not worried about.

My only reservations go back to the combo of player health and preserving the integrity of the playoffs by having as many healthy players as possible. Without these factors I'd argue that 17 games actually still isn't enough.

Personally I think it’s stupid. They had the perfect format already. Only way it makes sense is to do one international game per team each year so teams stop losing home games.

That said I already know I’ll enjoy an extra game once the season starts.

Yeah, each sport seems to have an amount of games where you basically reach a rough equilibrium in the standings.

This is why I think a sport like basketball (I'm not a baseball fan so I won't speak on that) actually has too many games. Nothing to with player health. Teams are just fighting over minor seeding differences for around the last 20 games. Only really matters to those fighting for the last spot. At least for me, a certain degree of fan fatigue sets in and I'm just waiting for the playoffs because not nearly enough games actually matter.

Football doesn't have near the number of games to reach that. I do love that each regular season game in football matters so much more than in other sports, but one game wouldn't take away from that. Adding an extra game would remove a little of the luck factor u mention, and get us closer to seeing the true best teams making the playoffs. But I don't think we could ever add enough games to reach the equilibrium I'm speaking of.

I don't think we'll see much change in tanking, but I think it would be a slight increase if anything. Yes, the extra game would leave some more teams in the hunt a little longer. But overall more games would be played by teams that are mathematically eliminated. Though I don't consider tanking to be a big problem in football (especially when u compare it to a sport like basketball) and it would still mostly be seen among the bottom dwellars that wouldn't be impacted by the change.

But until having an 18 week season feels like the norm, I could see eliminated teams using it as an extra excuse to play even more garbage lineups in that additional and unfamiliar week. Not like we don't see some of that in the current final week anyway. At worst, a short term issue I'm not worried about.

My only reservations go back to the combo of player health and preserving the integrity of the playoffs by having as many healthy players as possible. Without these factors I'd argue that 17 games actually still isn't enough.
Yeah the part about tanking I was refering to adding an extra playoff team, although Im not sure if they keep that or it was just because of Covid...?

Yeah the part about tanking I was refering to adding an extra playoff team, although Im not sure if they keep that or it was just because of Covid...?
I like the extra playoff team. Helps offset the luck issue that will exist regardless of whether it is a 16 or 17 game schedule.

On a side note I'm happy that we pulled the Giants. Could have been worse.

But I just looked it up and SF pulled the Bengals. That is not good news for our draft pick.

I like the extra playoff team. Helps offset the luck issue that will exist regardless of whether it is a 16 or 17 game schedule.

On a side note I'm happy that we pulled the Giants. Could have been worse.

But I just looked it up and SF pulled the Bengals. That is not good news for our draft pick.
Hopefully Miami doesn’t miss the playoffs at 11-6 because of a tiebreaker or the AFC being so stacked.

I don't like the 17 game schedule at all. I like continuity over the years. I know the schedule has expanded before, but in this modern era of record chasing and everything else, all that has gone out the window and you just add more asterisks to the record books. Not sure it's in the players best interest either.

Back
Top Bottom