Who actually made the decision to start Tua? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who actually made the decision to start Tua?

With everything that has been happening on the field, it’s got to be Flores. The defense has been much better. The offense was giving Fitzy wide open TDs. Plus, Tua came in and looked solid, getting the only 3rd down conversion of the game. Throw in the extra week and it all came together at once.

or possibly Phinatic8u’s thread...

I think Flores wanted to play Tua for a while now but I do believe Grier wanted him to hold off.

We all love w good “who dun it” drama but there is no way a QB change happens and the HC isn’t the one who makes the call.

Hey, remember 1983? We were 3-2, defense playing well, offense leaving points on the field and Shula went to Marino. We finished 12-4 and won the division. A lot to parallels here. It’s time - unless we want to go .500 at best. Take the upside chance w Tua. No one wants to wait until next year to see if we can make the playoffs. Fitz has never, ever led a team there. In 16-17 seasons. He’s not doing it now at a point in his career where he’s lost a lot of zip on the ball and still turns it over in the RZ too much.

No guarantee Tua helps us to a better record, but he needs to start developing w game experience. If we were 5-1 it might be a different story but we’re not. We’re 3-3.

I've been thinking about this myself as the news shocked me. I thought it was Ross too, at first. We all love Fitz the guy and teammate, however I think the writing was on the wall in the second half of the jets game. We couldn't convert third down, Fitz threw into coverage, and the offensive spark went missing. The Jets are historically bad. If we would have played any other team, they would have comeback and challenged the game. I think the Tua move is the right move. The real problem here is that we've got a snitch in the kitchen and they spilled the beans before it was time.

Once Flo saw my thread about Fitzpatrick holding us back, he called me up and said "you enlightened me"

Afterward Stephen Ross called me up just to confirm and I was like "Look Steve, if you dont do it now, Finheaven isnt going to stop. Are you going to listen to the people in the know or are you going to listen to your coaches?"... the rest is history.

Last edited:
I spoke to Stephen Ross this morning.

No, he did not order Coach Flores to start Tua.

He did, however, order him to start "Adam Pankey" at Left Tackle.

So, be on the lookout for that versus the Rams.

I’m sure they wanted to keep playing Fitzpatrick but he’s left a lot to be desired last two games, even in blowouts. They know that’s not sustainable.

Tua looks to them as ready and maybe even an upgrade.

One of the greatest college QB's of all time VS. The human placeholder at QB.

I wonder why Finheaven has such a hard time understanding this. I will put it plainly, even as a rookie, Tua is a substantial upgrade over the decade plus experienced Fitzpatrick. So much so it is evident from practice.

RF couldnt even clearly beat out Rosen and now you expect him to Trump the savior of this franchise? Nah bruh, nah. Too little too late.

Ryan Fitzpatrick as a starter had a record of 57-86-1 i believe. He is old with a declining skill set. His longest tenured as a starter in Buffalo and New York ended with him being overpaid and benched. Im between those places, he bounced around and became known for his hot/cold streaks. He never led a team to the playoffs in his career.

People seem to forget all of this because he had some good fantasy football stats and is a likeable guy. Fantasy football doesn't equate to real success and it doesn't matter if he is likeable. He doesn't win and should not start for more than a few games. That's all the decision came down to.

You see the Seahawks/Pat's games where he couldn't get the ball into the endzone. He couldn't convert a third down against the worst team in the league. football. The jags game he couldn't score once in the second half. But thats okay because he was playing "good fottball"?

If it ended so poorly everywhere else it was bound to end bad here. He didn't earn anything because last year we won 5 games and this year we are at 3-3 and lost some winnable games. People need to get over this guy and forget about him

It seems a bit strange to me that Flores would change his tune so quickly and decide to start Tua. He stated multiple times that he thought that Tua was not ready and Fitzgave the team the best chance to win. Then after Tua came in late in the Jets game and the crowd got so excited, TV ratings spiked and the fins became a national story....the team makes an awkward announcement that Tua would be the starter. To me, it seems like this is coming from the top Ross..through Grier (who was on the call with Tua) to Fores?
It was by a Finheaven poll you didn't see it??

Back
Top Bottom