Who are the Keepers Moving Forward? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who are the Keepers Moving Forward?

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
One aspect of what has been a tough season is that Miami has found a few diamonds in the rough. Looking ahead who do you all see as long-term keepers?

I like what I've seen most recently from Preston Williams. He is pacing at close to a 1000 yard season, which would be quite an accomplishment for an undrafted rookie. I know he needs to work on his hands, but that was the same thing said about Jerry Rice his rookie season. Like the upside with Williams.

Mike Gesicki has also come on of late, which is good to see.

No doubt this roster will turn over maybe 40 out of 53 players over the next couple of years. It's that bad, but there are some keepers. Others:

*Jerome Baker
*Vince Biegel (another great find)
*Evan Boehm
*Taco Charlton (starter?)
* Chandler Cox???
* Michael Deiter (depth/starter?)
* Davon Godchaux
*Jakeem Grant???
* Bobby McCain (depth)
* Raekwon McMillan
*DeVante Parker (having his best season)
*Josh Rosen (backup probably)
*Mark Walton (backup maybe)
*Christian Wilkins
*Albert Wilson???

Any others. Would love opinions on some that I may not have listed.

Ryan Fitzpatrick is the MVP and best player on the team right now. Do we keep him?

He would be a good vet presence for the rookie QB next year. Won't be expensive either.

Grant can leave tomorrow and I wouldn't think the team would miss a beat. I agree with the rest of the list for the most part - they can't turn over the entire roster in one off season and some of these guys can be good depth once there are a couple of drafts/free agency periods.

I really don't think any of these guys will be here 3 years from now. Maybe Preston Williams, but I don't see much else. The cupboard is bare, which makes the draft these next 2 years all the more important.

Gesicki, Smythe are worth keeping to continue their development at TE.
Jenkins has played well on interior...not sure how old he is though.
Davis for depth on oline...probably starter for another year; Ditto for Calhoun
Some of the DBs would be great to have for depth and ST

There’s a better chance that Fitzpatrick is the backup to the rookie than Rosen

Christian Wilikins and Xavien Howard. Mike Gesicki with continued improvement. Jerome Baker on a team friendly contract.

This team needs new talent stat. I really hope this our greatest draft ever because it seems like our most important.

There’s a better chance that Fitzpatrick is the backup to the rookie than Rosen

Not a chance. You do not trade a 2nd round pick for Rosen only for him to be gone a year later. Rosen will either be the backup or the starter. There is nothing to gain by keeping Fitzpatrick around. He is not the future. Anyway, if you truly believe that, I sure as hell would not want Chris Grier making all these picks that will impact this franchise for the next decade after he just flushed 2nd round pick down the toilet for him.

Grant can leave tomorrow and I wouldn't think the team would miss a beat. I agree with the rest of the list for the most part - they can't turn over the entire roster in one off season and some of these guys can be good depth once there are a couple of drafts/free agency periods.
Michigan Mike, why in gods green earth did he field that kick off on the 2 yard line after our Roughing the passer penalty assessed on kickoff. The ball would have easily went into the endzone. He can break that rare oppty, but our offense will be better served without the smurfs

One aspect of what has been a tough season is that Miami has found a few diamonds in the rough. Looking ahead who do you all see as long-term keepers?

I like what I've seen most recently from Preston Williams. He is pacing at close to a 1000 yard season, which would be quite an accomplishment for an undrafted rookie. I know he needs to work on his hands, but that was the same thing said about Jerry Rice his rookie season. Like the upside with Williams.

Mike Gesicki has also come on of late, which is good to see.

No doubt this roster will turn over maybe 40 out of 53 players over the next couple of years. It's that bad, but there are some keepers. Others:

*Jerome Baker
*Vince Biegel (another great find)
*Evan Boehm
*Taco Charlton (starter?)
* Chandler Cox???
* Michael Deiter (depth/starter?)
* Davon Godchaux
*Jakeem Grant???
* Bobby McCain (depth)
* Raekwon McMillan
*DeVante Parker (having his best season)
*Josh Rosen (backup probably)
*Mark Walton (backup maybe)
*Christian Wilkins
*Albert Wilson???

Any others. Would love opinions on some that I may not have listed.

Not sure about Cox
Howard, for sure.
Miami will want a vet backup - RF. Unless Rosen shows something this fall, I think that experiment is over.
Aikens - ST
Nkemdiche, depending on what he shows. The talent is there.
Jenkins
Smythe
Davis
Sanders
Boehm
Pepper - haven't seen him do anything wrong
Whoever wins the 2nd starting CB job has a good shot at returning.
Wildcard is no one knows who the coaches like

That's about 25 players. Maybe more, depending on draft, FA, and progress through game 16. I'm going with your "keepers" and not 'starters.'

Christian Wilikins and Xavien Howard. Mike Gesicki with continued improvement. Jerome Baker on a team friendly contract.

This team needs new talent stat. I really hope this our greatest draft ever because it seems like our most important.
Forgot about Howard! I still think he's one of the best corners in the league. He needs help, though, or no team will throw in his direction much.

Back
Top Bottom