Who do you want with our 1st pick in the draft | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who do you want with our 1st pick in the draft

Crazy to think that we might win 4 of our last 5 games....
But I think it could happen.

I do think the odds are that we trade back on our top pick, but if so I hope we can land Herbert. If we don't, I expect us to draft Tua somewhere in round 1 (not early)
Not yet. Too soon :) 7 days before the draft!

Absolutely!!! I’m sure someone can doctor up a video!

The team went from 0-4 in the first quarter of the season to 1-3 in the second quarter and now 2-2 in the third quarter.

They face the Jets (4-8), Giants (2-10), Bengals (1-11), and Patriots (10-2) in the fourth quarter of the season. The Patriots may have their Bye clinched by Week 17, without much hope of regaining home field, which would mean they'll be playing their backups in Week 17 for at least a half of the game.

So going 3-1 in the fourth quarter is a legitimate possibility...which would see the team finish 6-10 and very likely with a pick somewhere around #10 to #12 in the draft.

I share Awsi's sentiment here.

There's something demoralizing about coming up with 'scrappy' wins in 2019 that owe as much to scheduling (we seemingly have all of the worst teams in the league on our schedule) and injuries (e.g. Brian Hoyer) as the derring-do of a head coach who has absolutely nothing to lose (going for it on fourth down, calling fake punts, fake field goals, onside kicks, two-point conversions at every opportunity...because why the hell not?).

Fast-forward to 2021 and are we really going to care that we won a game two years ago because we had our punter throw a touchdown pass to our kicker? Especially as the team becomes more expensive, burdened by higher expectations, and suddenly the scrappy, aggressive play-calling of the head coach who had nothing to lose before begins calling plays with the fear of losing games foremost on his mind?

If this season ends with us unable to make a significant advance on the QB front...that will be an extraordinary shame.

I'll take the glass half-full side and suggest everything we're seeing points to "No matter who they selected at the QB position and at whatever pick" they have people in house to help maximize that players potential.
Additionally, the can help elevate the supporting players too.

There is nothing guaranteed about any of these QBs especially "My ankle, my hip, my shoulder...It all hurts!" Tua..

The team went from 0-4 in the first quarter of the season to 1-3 in the second quarter and now 2-2 in the third quarter.

They face the Jets (4-8), Giants (2-10), Bengals (1-11), and Patriots (10-2) in the fourth quarter of the season. The Patriots may have their Bye clinched by Week 17, without much hope of regaining home field, which would mean they'll be playing their backups in Week 17 for at least a half of the game.

So going 3-1 in the fourth quarter is a legitimate possibility...which would see the team finish 6-10 and very likely with a pick somewhere around #10 to #12 in the draft.

I share Awsi's sentiment here.

There's something demoralizing about coming up with 'scrappy' wins in 2019 that owe as much to scheduling (we seemingly have all of the worst teams in the league on our schedule) and injuries (e.g. Brian Hoyer) as the derring-do of a head coach who has absolutely nothing to lose (going for it on fourth down, calling fake punts, fake field goals, onside kicks, two-point conversions at every opportunity...because why the hell not?).

Fast-forward to 2021 and are we really going to care that we won a game two years ago because we had our punter throw a touchdown pass to our kicker? Especially as the team becomes more expensive, burdened by higher expectations, and suddenly the scrappy, aggressive play-calling of the head coach who had nothing to lose before begins calling plays with the fear of losing games foremost on his mind?

If this season ends with us unable to make a significant advance on the QB front...that will be an extraordinary shame.

I've been saying pretty much the same thing about this season been a season Flores can coach without any pressure. The play calling is an off shoot of that, also is the effort level of the players making up this sub par roster. That effort level is only going to improve compared with the opposition too, at a time a lot of players will check out for the season, our group are playing for their futures. Listening to coaches instruction I think has been a big reason for the wins and they will continue to do this because they know if they don't they won't be playing anywhere professionally next year.

I said yesterday, I expect us to pick around 9 or 10, we could stay put and hope no one else takes a chance on Tua but if I were a betting man I would say we move up to snag a QB, let's just hope that Tannebaum's influence isn't still strong enough to make us move up to take Herbert, giving up in essence two firsts for a project ! The folks on here will go off it if we do the same for an injury prone Tua, personally I wouldn't have a second thought about doing it for him but it's kind of disappointing that we had to waste a 1st rounder (at minimum) to do something we could have done for nothing.

I've been saying pretty much the same thing about this season been a season Flores can coach without any pressure. The play calling is an off shoot of that, also is the effort level of the players making up this sub par roster. That effort level is only going to improve compared with the opposition too, at a time a lot of players will check out for the season, our group are playing for their futures. Listening to coaches instruction I think has been a big reason for the wins and they will continue to do this because they know if they don't they won't be playing anywhere professionally next year.

I said yesterday, I expect us to pick around 9 or 10, we could stay put and hope no one else takes a chance on Tua but if I were a betting man I would say we move up to snag a QB, let's just hope that Tannebaum's influence isn't still strong enough to make us move up to take Herbert, giving up in essence two firsts for a project ! The folks on here will go off it if we do the same for an injury prone Tua, personally I wouldn't have a second thought about doing it for him but it's kind of disappointing that we had to waste a 1st rounder (at minimum) to do something we could have done for nothing.
I'm not unhappy at all if we end up selecting our first pick around 10. Having 3 picks in round one and two in round two opens some amazing possibilities for us and best of all I believe that now if we really do covet Tua that he can be ours somewhere in the draft that doesn't require a major reach up. I like the QB's and look forward to seeing how they rise / fall between now and draft day, but the guys I like most are DE Chase Young and SS Simmons.

I've been back and forth on this one for awhile... Edge or Tackle, Tackle or Edge... but I think I've settled now.

Edge.

I don't think there are but a few difference makers at Edge in this (or any) draft. I believe that the Tackle pool is deeper and that a few really good ones slide every year. That said, since we have three picks in the first and since I believe that a Jackson or a Leatherwood will be there for us at 1b, I'm looking at Espenesa or Matos (if we've fallen far enough).

If we are somewhere around 6 or 7 and Espenesa is there, I write his name on my card.

Yeah it’s got to be torquing Steve Ross’s ass every time he sees a highlight reel of Lamar Jackson. If he wants a quarterback we’ll do whatever we have to do to get one bank on it.

Back
Top Bottom