Who else thinks it's going to come down to Miami and Arizona? :Manning Breakdown | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who else thinks it's going to come down to Miami and Arizona? :Manning Breakdown

catch22

New Mexico Fin Fan
Reaction score
Teams other than MIA and AZ likely in the race:
Jets: NO NO NO.
Reasons: Rex Ryan's mouth, Play in same city and share stadium with Eli(nope), The team is in discord, they'd basically have to cut and run on Sanchez and admit they were wrong to move up and Its damn cold! do I have to list any more?

Seattle: no
Reasons: Rainy all the time. Pretty sure Peyton does not want to play his last 3 or so seasons in the rain but I could be wrong. plus to me it doesn't seem like his kind of city.

Redskins: Not unless its all about the money.
Reasons: all they really have to offer Peyton is tons of money and he already has tons of money. (If Peyton is only motivated by money than this turns to a yes but I don't think so), Same div as Eli.

49ers: The 49rs just said no, so NO.
Reasons: "The San Francisco 49ers are not looking to get into the Peyton sweepstakes at this time and are instead focused on Alex Smith, according to a team source."http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/03/07/san-francisco-wont-pursue-manning/?module=HP11_headline_stack

KC: probably no
Reasons: Its damn cold. here's a 7 day weather forecast to illustrate; 36, 32, 38, 32, 42, 32, 39.. Compared to everyone but MIA and AZ I think they do have a chance.

Which leaves us with Arizona and Miami. Here are some Pros and cons of AZ vs Mia - lets break it down:
1)Weather: Miami in my opinion has better weather for the wife and kids because the Phoenix heat sucks, my family lives there and I hate visiting there.. way too damn hot, but AZ has a dome which Im sure Peyton would prefer. Ive never lived in Miami but when I have visited It was awesome. Im sure its humid and hot though.
Edge: Slight edge to AZ only because of the Dome.

2)Weapons and OL: Miami has Brandon Marshall, Bess, Bush (one of the best receiving backs) Pouncey and Long Vs. Larry Fitzgerald, Wells, Heap, Levi Brown (AZ's LT), who some say wont be back. Arizona allowed 54 sacks vs Mia's 52 sacks (both bad). As far as backup QB's Miami's Moore has the edge as AZ would have to give up on Kolb take a big financial hit and would probably release him.
Edge: dare I say a Slight edge to MIA. Because Jake long is a bad ass, Pouncey is up and coming and the right side of our line could be worked on in first round of the draft. Marshall and Fitz are pretty close, Bush is better than Wells as a reciever. We also have lower draft picks. This is a big category because I think manning wants weapons and I think MIA can offer a slightly better package.

3)Cap Space: bold is projected free cap space
Miami Dolphins $117,416,173$9,057,394$13,641,221
Arizona Cardinals$118,787,639$7,049,873$10,262,234
Edge: Mia but not by much, both teams will make room.

4)Team's Will to sign peyton:
This is hard to gauge. Ross really wants Manning but we don't know if Philbin is sold. Ken Whisenhunt hired Peytons old qb coach and that doesent hurt.
Edge: This is a wash. I think both teams want Manning if healthy and both will pursue fully

5)Wife and Family/City: Peyton has a condo in Miami and the wife supposedly loves it in MIA.
This is kind of objective but PHX AZ is about as boring as a city as you can get. Im not sure peyton cares, but I bet his wife and family does. Seriously though, Beautiful beaches vs miles upon miles of suburbs.. Take the beaches.
Edge: Mia. Bigtime.

6)Coaches and Owner:
Ken Whisenhunt hired Manning's former position coach, Frank Reich. His cardinals have a pedestrian .50 win loss ratio over the years. Coach Philbin is respected but untested as a HC. Mike Sherman is a plus. Here is an interesting tidbit:
"Manning respects Dolphins offensive coordinator Mike Sherman and is aware that Joe Philbin is a good coach to play for, according to ESPN’s Chris Mortensen." source link
http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/03/07/2679267/colts-expected-to-release-peyton.html
Edge: slight to Az. This is tough one but I think possibly the edge goes to AZ because of familiarity with Frank Reich. It is possible though that Whizenhunt wont want to change his whole offense and that Philbin's fresh start might be appealing to manning in a new city. who knows.

7)Division: Some say manning wants to stay in the AFC, Im not so sure thats a deal breaker. This is totally objective. Some say Peyton would love AZ's easy division and others say that Manning would love a chance to duel it out with Brady and beat up the Jets.
Edge: you'd have to think AZ right? but it depends on what Manning is thinking and we dont know that for sure. If its ease of division its AZ, if its being a badass its MIA.

Tally: Reasons to go to AZ III , Reasons to go to MIA III.
I really think this is a two horse race and basically it comes down to Manning's Priority's which we don't fully know.
Is it if its family, money, and weapons to work with? Or weakness of division, a dome and familiarity with the coaches?
Id say its pretty even but we have a great shot!, Whats your take on his priority's? any teams that are actually in the mix that you think might make a go?

I agree with almost all of your assessments and breakdown of all of the other team's chances of signing Peyton.

I agree with most of your assessment...but I don't believe you can count out the Jets so adamantly unfortunately. He has huge respect for Rex and I believe he would love to play for him unfortunately. I do agree w/ your point about Eli and NY though and hopefully that outweighs the Rex part of it!

I think it will come down to family, if they love miami and have a chance to be there year round it bolds good tiding for the fins, can't win any division without a good nucleus of players., plus just to see himself elevate the fins to a playoff team will keep him energized, but peyton likes to play against the best to solidfy place in football history, he doesn't get the storylines in Arizona but will in Miami.

imo, the jets' and chiefs are hurt by Sparano and Daboll. Yes Peyton does what he wants but you have to think the OC matters.
Also, the path to the superbowl is much easier from the AFC which helps Miami against Arizona and Seattle

I agree with most of your assessment...but I don't believe you can count out the Jets so adamantly unfortunately. He has huge respect for Rex and I believe he would love to play for him unfortunately. I do agree w/ your point about Eli and NY though and hopefully that outweighs the Rex part of it!
See I have heard both ways concerning Peyton and Rex Ryan. Can anyone link actual words to manning that he truly respects Rex? Rex seems to be one of the most hated coaches outside his own locker room.(because of the bragging and not giving other teams respect after a loss to name a few reasons) Maybe Peyton has a Hatefull respect for Rex lol?

Agree that AZ and Miami are the two favorites, but let's not count out Seattle. I don't think the weather plays as much of this as you think and Sea is fairly close right now and has the $$$ to spend on him. However, I'm not sure Seattle's coaching is what he's looking for. Other than ability to get him back to the SB in the next 1-2 years, the next big factor with him will be level of control they'll give him on the field. Not that they have to run his old offense, but the ability for him to audible out to whatever he wants, when he wants. Are we willing to hand him the offensive keys for the next couple of years?

I agree the Dolphins and the Cardinals are probably the top 2 options, followed by Chiefs and Seahawks. I don't think you can discount either of them solely based on weather. The Chiefs did not have a good year, but they do have weapons. Their season was mostly derailed by injuries to RB and QB. Manning would solve their QB issue and I think they will add a RB in the draft.

I believe KC and Seattle are in a much better position to sign Manning. If Miami and Arizona even have a chance, they would have to purge a lot of players to make salary cap room for Manning, a QB that might be here 2 years.

One team that has been mentioned as a dark horse which I could see them making a run is Denver. Everyone knows that John Fox and Elway are not 100% sold on Tebow and I think Elway would love to have a QB like Manning on his roster.

Nice thoughts there but as dolphins fans we tend to be biased even if we try to be objective. So im going with peyton going to Arizona before he goes to Miami.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

i think he would want to go out, trying to get us a super bowl since him and marino are tight, and of course playing against brady twice a year for the remaining years he has left. what else could u ask for

This is the part were i start getting really nervous we have not had the best of luck in the last couple years if manning decides to go somewhere besides miami it is going to be devastating.

Nice thoughts there but as dolphins fans we tend to be biased even if we try to be objective. So im going with peyton going to Arizona before he goes to Miami.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

I have a hard time saying he's going to Arizona, mostly because of what the Cardinals gave up and Kolb's 5 year $63 million dollar contract. Are they ready to give up on Kolb already after investing a lot in him?

Back
Top Bottom