Who had the better career: Bob Griese or Dan Marino? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who had the better career: Bob Griese or Dan Marino?

Who had the better career: Bob Griese or Dan Marino?

• Bob Griese

• Dan Marino

Results are only viewable after voting.

xxAQUA JOSHUAxx

Active Roster
Reaction score
Knowing how their careers turned out. Griese would lead the team to win 2 Superbowls but Dan would set the NFL on fire and keep us relevant for 17 years. I told my friend, I respect Griese more than Marino because he was able to lead us to win 2 Superbowls and Marino never did. Unfortunately that's what quarterbacks are judged on and even an inferior QB is deemed more successful when Superbowls are involved.

Dan Marino had the better career, but Bob Griese had the better team.

Marino has even just one of those three RBs (Especially Zonk), and that Defense, Miami might be the only team to go to 5 straight SBs, with Marino ending his career with more SB appearances and wins then Brady had...The hard way, actually winning them without any tricks (underhanded or somewhat legal).

Last edited:
This is a strange comparison because regardless of how you approach it the two are not even remotely close to comparable. If you go from a winning/achievement standpoint then Bob is the runaway choice, if you go from an ability/proficiency standpoint then Dan is the runaway choice. There really is no combination because of how far apart they are in each category.

The other issue is that or is difficult to compare over time.
Different rules the defender receiver battles. Different rules on OL DL battles. Different on protect the QB. Etc.

Put Marino on those 70s teams and they likely go 17-0 more than once. Probably win some absurd number of games consecutively. But career-wise, I can’t peg it. 2SBs for Griese yes, multiple all-pro for Marino. Individually, Marino’s would be better statistically/accolade-wise.

I agree with most of the opinions so far. It's comparing apples to oranges. Seen both and loved both, Griese has the SB wins but Marino with the same team around him would have won more

Is it fair to say Griese had the better career ( 2 Superbowls), but Marino was the better quarterback?
this is true. obviously if Marino had the teams Griese had then Marino probably has about 7 super bowls..
but i cant say that QB's like Dilfer, Rypien, McMahon, Doug Williams, and brad johnson had better careers than Marino
totally unfair that Marino never got the ring but i still blame Shula and his loyalty to Olivadotti

this is true. obviously if Marino had the teams Griese had then Marino probably has about 7 super bowls..
but i cant say that QB's like Dilfer, Rypien, McMahon, Doug Williams, and brad johnson had better careers than Marino
totally unfair that Marino never got the ring but i still blame Shula and his loyalty to Olivadotti
Shula kept Olivadotti too long but the real problem was Shula had some horrible drafts over the years.......there was a streak where we got nothing from our draft like in 8 years in a row....that has nothing to do with the DC.

I will get hate for this, but I'm not 100% sure Griese is even an all time great QB let alone in the same league as Marino.

He also only really led us to one Superbowl. 72 he missed most of the games and while he did come in an win that Superbowl....we were undefeated with or without him and it's likely we'd have won either way with how our defense played.

Great QB don't don't me wrong, but really only Dolphin fans talk about Griese along with the old greats while Marino is considered a great by just about everyone regardless of their team.

Edit: To two SB I mean. Forgot there were 3 in a row, I like to forget losing lol

Last edited:
While Marino was the better QB, Griese is so underrated for a guy who led teams to 3 straight SBs and is in the HOF.

Griese called his own plays and he had great “feel” for the game. He was very much like Montana and Brady in the way he managed a game. Those who say he benefited from the great run game are correct. He was smart. He wasn’t selfish - he called the plays that gave us the best chance to gain yards and first downs available. And when he didn’t have a great run game all he did was lead the league in passing in 1977. Point is, he could throw it beautifully. While he didn’t attempt many passes in his 2 SB wins, he was nearly perfect. Did you know he was a 3 sport standout - baseball, basketball and football and super athletic (early in his career he was criticized for scrambling too much). I think some younger fans vaguely remember a broken down Griese late in his career - coke bottle glasses and all - and think “what a dork”. Truth is the man would house most of us on any court of our choosing.

Now here’s the controversial part - if Marino had the team Griese had, yes he undoubtedly wins a SB or multiple. But would he have been patient enough to run the offense that was so successful for those teams? Had he slung it all over and put up tons of points, that means the time consuming drives that wore defense down don’t happen. It also means our D is on the field more. It’s interesting to ponder anyway.

Back
Top Bottom