Who is on your Mount Rushmore of Coaches? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who is on your Mount Rushmore of Coaches?

Solid list. But, you don’t think the NFL produced any great coaches after Shula retired? :)

I love Andy Reid. Tho he's not "historic." Hate Hairball and its sibling thing.

Shanahan? Way too metro. I have other derogatories. I'll leave alone.

Flo has a chance to be "special." There's a huge vacuum to be filled

by anyone BIG ENUFF to plug the hole.

Brown
Halas
Lombardi
Shula

Honorable mention to Bill Walsh. Probably the greatest tactician I've ever personally seen coach a football game.

Brown
Halas
Lombardi
Shula

Honorable mention to Bill Walsh. Probably the greatest tactician I've ever personally seen coach a football game.
You're right about Bill Walsh. He was one of the greatest tacticians the game every saw. When he was alive, all you had to do was ask him and he'd tell you such.

I remember that after he retired and he would call games, inevitably once or thrice a game, he'd say about how "we did the same thing in San Francisco". After a while, it was like, it's OK, Bill, we know you're a former coach and you invented the sunrise, but give it a rest.

You're right about Bill Walsh. He was one of the greatest tacticians the game every saw. When he was alive, all you had to do was ask him and he'd tell you such.

I remember that after he retired and he would call games, inevitably once or thrice a game, he'd say about how "we did the same thing in San Francisco". After a while, it was like, it's OK, Bill, we know you're a former coach and you invented the sunrise, but give it a rest.

I don't remember the arrogance, I remember the genius. :)

Before I start. I'm presuming Head Coaches that have an asterix next to their name and have been under investigation for cheating are not applicable? Only asking because certain kiss butt merchants like to put that moody arse corner cutter in their top 100 all time.

Shula
Lombardi
Landry
Walsh

Shula, Bellichick, Lombardi, Halas

Honorable Mention: Walsh

I mean Bellichick has deflate gate. Big deal, he still has 5 more SB Titles and 2 as an assistant.

Four is too few but in no particular order:

- Paul Brown
- George Halas
- Don Shula
- Bill Belichick

I don’t know why Lombardi gets automatically put at the top of every list. He didn’t coach that long. Yes he won a lot. You know what? Joe Gibbs in his first stint w Washington accomplished just about as much as Lombardi and in an era w more teams etc. 5 Title games, 4 SBs, 3 SB wins w 3 different QBs, invented the triple TE set (to block Lawerence Taylor) and the trips formation. Man was an innovator and adapted to the talent he had. If you add another four spots to Mt Rushmore I put:

Lombardi
Gibbs
Walsh
Landry

Then Noll, John Harbaugh, Andy Reíd, Chuck Knox, Dick Vermeil, Marty Shottenfeffer, Bill Parcels (who never won anything without Belichick on his staff by the way), Dan Reeves, and I’m sure I’m forgetting some.

Honorable mention - Adam Gase, Joe Philbin

Four is too few but in no particular order:

- Paul Brown
- George Halas
- Don Shula
- Bill Belichick

I don’t know why Lombardi gets automatically put at the top of every list. He didn’t coach that long. Yes he won a lot. You know what? Joe Gibbs in his first stint w Washington accomplished just about as much as Lombardi and in an era w more teams etc. 5 Title games, 4 SBs, 3 SB wins w 3 different QBs, invented the triple TE set (to block Lawerence Taylor) and the trips formation. Man was an innovator and adapted to the talent he had. If you add another four spots to Mt Rushmore I put:

Lombardi
Gibbs
Walsh
Landry

Then Noll, John Harbaugh, Andy Reíd, Chuck Knox, Dick Vermeil, Marty Shottenfeffer, Bill Parcels (who never won anything without Belichick on his staff by the way), Dan Reeves, and I’m sure I’m forgetting some.

Honorable mention - Adam Gase, Joe Philbin

Fantastic take. I thought about Gibbs, unbelievable coach and awesome second career with his car racing team.

Lombardi
Belicheck
Shula
Walsh
Honorable mention: Noll - Gibbs- Landry

Back
Top Bottom