Who is still on the team next year? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who is still on the team next year?

Nobody really knows. Lets be honest, none of us thought Tunsil would be traded. So the reality is that everyone on this team could be gone, coaches and GM included.

Honestly the only ones I see being here next year for sure are Jesse Davis, Xavien Howard and jakeem Grant. Oh and Jason Sanders
I don't think Wilkins is going anywhere either, and as long as his head stays on straight, P. Williams will be here. No money tied up with them, but they have to part of the rebuild. Wish I could say that about Minkah. Thought he was a definite too, until this week. Hoping it all blows over and he and Flores can figure this out.

At the rate we are going, who do you think is still on the roster next year?

qb: Rosen
rb: Ballage, Gaskin, Laird, Cox
wr: Grant, Preston, Parker, Ford
te: Gesicki, Smyth
ol: Deiter, Calhoun, Davis, Prince

dl: Wilkins, Godchaux
lb: Baker, McMillian, AVG, Eguavoen
db: X, McCain, Aikens

st: Sanders (Haack - his leg is going to fall-off this year)
I'm still trying to figure out who's on the team this year...

At the rate we are going, who do you think is still on the roster next year?

qb: Rosen
rb: Ballage, Gaskin, Laird, Cox
wr: Grant, Preston, Parker, Ford
te: Gesicki, Smyth
ol: Deiter, Calhoun, Davis, Prince

dl: Wilkins, Godchaux
lb: Baker, McMillian, AVG, Eguavoen
db: X, McCain, Aikens

st: Sanders (Haack - his leg is going to fall-off this year)

Best I can do is generic. A few guys, like Baker, are essentially in. Quite a few will either take a spot this season or get a spot because, 'they're good enough unless something surprising happens' (Ballage), some are just churn. No one knows how that middle group will play out

Next year is a harder story. The team is obviously rebuilding the roster in both 2020 and 2021, with heavy amounts of draft picks in 2021, it's clear that almost everyone is a band-aid until we get past the 2021 draft. The few exceptions would be Xavien Howard, Christian Wilkins, Jerome Baker, Mike Gesicki, Michael Deiter, Jesse Davis, and probably Bobby McCain and Minkah Fitzpatrick (assuming they don't get a good bundle of draft picks for him). So that's 6-8 guys who probably are in the team's long term plans. But we have about a dozen draft picks in 2020, so we can't replace everyone next offseason. I'm expecting about 10 to 14 rookies next offseason, some draft picks and some UDFA's, plus a couple of FA's, so that's only roughly 14 or so new guys next year. I think who stays depends primarily on what talent we bring in via the draft and FA.

IMHO, we'll draft for certain positions at the top (QB, CB, pass rusher, OT) and take Best Player Available (BPA) at the rest of the spots … because we need guys in every position right now. Then we'll make a big push for UDFA's to fill the cracks like spackle. We'll bring in a few lower priced veterans to set the atmosphere in the locker room and underscore the importance of hard work and development. It's the 2021 draft where we'll be targeting more specifically, because we'll start to really have a view of what our team looks like by then, and know where the holes are we still need to fill.

I'm not going to make a projection on next year just yet … but by then I think the hope level on this board will increase substantially, because we have a lot of draft picks to rebuild this team starting in 2020.

Howard, Baker, Wilkins, Godchaux, Van Ginkel, Eguavoen, Ledbetter on D, maybe add Harris if he shows enough improvement and Aikens because of his value on Specials.

On O, Dieter, Davis, Ballage, Williams, Grant, Gesicki, Smythe if he shows some improvement this year, O’Leary, Gaskin, maybe one or two between Isidora, Broehm, Kilgore and Reed (for depth), Cox. I also like Wilson but I don’t think he’ll ever be fully healthy again and I’m tired of keeping injury prone players on big contracts.

Sanders on Special Teams.

There’s a lot of youth on this list. If most of them continue to improve this year and with all those picks coming, maybe the future isn’t so dark. I’m only worried that they will find some way to screw it up in FA and the draft.

80% of the draft and FA should be devoted to offense. If they can nail this QB pick and surround him with some decent protection it won't take long.

Next year is a harder story. The team is obviously rebuilding the roster in both 2020 and 2021, with heavy amounts of draft picks in 2021, it's clear that almost everyone is a band-aid until we get past the 2021 draft. The few exceptions would be Xavien Howard, Christian Wilkins, Jerome Baker, Mike Gesicki, Michael Deiter, Jesse Davis, and probably Bobby McCain and Minkah Fitzpatrick (assuming they don't get a good bundle of draft picks for him). So that's 6-8 guys who probably are in the team's long term plans. But we have about a dozen draft picks in 2020, so we can't replace everyone next offseason. I'm expecting about 10 to 14 rookies next offseason, some draft picks and some UDFA's, plus a couple of FA's, so that's only roughly 14 or so new guys next year. I think who stays depends primarily on what talent we bring in via the draft and FA.

IMHO, we'll draft for certain positions at the top (QB, CB, pass rusher, OT) and take Best Player Available (BPA) at the rest of the spots … because we need guys in every position right now. Then we'll make a big push for UDFA's to fill the cracks like spackle. We'll bring in a few lower priced veterans to set the atmosphere in the locker room and underscore the importance of hard work and development. It's the 2021 draft where we'll be targeting more specifically, because we'll start to really have a view of what our team looks like by then, and know where the holes are we still need to fill.

I'm not going to make a projection on next year just yet … but by then I think the hope level on this board will increase substantially, because we have a lot of draft picks to rebuild this team starting in 2020.

Let's assume they do all of this and hit on the QB and 50% on everyone else FA/Draft. Could that team be just as good as the Tannehill teams 6-8 wins in that first year?

Let's assume they do all of this and hit on the QB and 50% on everyone else FA/Draft. Could that team be just as good as the Tannehill teams 6-8 wins in that first year?
Yes, I think 6-8 wins is exactly where the target would be in that scenario. It's very hard to predict this far out, and without knowing the mix of players. Obviously we need 1 starting CB and 1 or 2 pass rushers or we're not going to win 6 games, that much is clear. But, if we get those 3 players + an elite QB and a couple of decent OL players (which would be 5 + QB, so this scenario assumes maybe 1 or 2 more starters in addition), then we could almost overnight become a dangerous team, capable of winning 6 games. I'd put our range at more like 4-6 games, simply because we run very complex systems and they'll be manned by so many rookies and the learning curve for that is extremely steep. But the infusion of talent will be unmistakable.

Winning 4 games in 2020 isn't so bad though. We have almost 2 full drafts worth of 2020 draft picks, and another 1.5 drafts worth of 2021 draft picks, so drafting early in 2021 would go a long way to filling out this roster with quality players who are 100% aligned with Coach Flo's systems. Once we get to 2020, everything will look a lot rosier.

At this point I don’t care. Just build from the inside out.

Yes, I think 6-8 wins is exactly where the target would be in that scenario. It's very hard to predict this far out, and without knowing the mix of players. Obviously we need 1 starting CB and 1 or 2 pass rushers or we're not going to win 6 games, that much is clear. But, if we get those 3 players + an elite QB and a couple of decent OL players (which would be 5 + QB, so this scenario assumes maybe 1 or 2 more starters in addition), then we could almost overnight become a dangerous team, capable of winning 6 games. I'd put our range at more like 4-6 games, simply because we run very complex systems and they'll be manned by so many rookies and the learning curve for that is extremely steep. But the infusion of talent will be unmistakable.

Winning 4 games in 2020 isn't so bad though. We have almost 2 full drafts worth of 2020 draft picks, and another 1.5 drafts worth of 2021 draft picks, so drafting early in 2021 would go a long way to filling out this roster with quality players who are 100% aligned with Coach Flo's systems. Once we get to 2020, everything will look a lot rosier.

What an exciting thought! I'm not a fan of the team tanking or trading away pieces but this above scenario, imo, offers a real light at the end of the tunnel.
We haven't seen a real light for a number of years.

I wouldn't call Rosen a safe bet. If they draft a QB high (very likely) they'll want to keep a vet and Fitz will be under contract for another year. They'll also be committed to that new QB as he will he the investment of all investments (likely #1 overall pick). Teams typically only keep two QBs now, and I don't see where Rosen fits in.

He's trade bait for sure.

Safe bets, IMO (not many of them):

Ballage, Williams, Grant, Gesicki, Smythe, Dieter, Jesse Davis, Wilkins, Godchaux, Baker, Howard, Sanders.

This regime has shown they'll part ways quickly.... with anyone.

Last edited:
Tua and nobody else! Seriously, there aren't too many keepers on this team especially on offense.

Back
Top Bottom