Who is the better MLB? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who is the better MLB?

Dajesus

Active Roster
Reaction score
Zach Thomas
180 tackles, 3 sacks, 2 ff, 2 int 1 td(only 15 games)

Ray Lewis
196 tackles, 3 sacks, 1 ff, 3 ints

Theese stats look pretty even to me. If Zach would have played in the final game his average sais he would have finished w/192 tackles just 4 short of Ray, but he also 1 more ff, and td more than Ray. Also since Gardener went down Zach doesn't have the quality of DTs that Ray enjoys to keep blockers off him. I really think they are about the same I am just sick oh always hearing about Ray in such a higher class then any other MLB I think Zach's stats put him neck and neck w/Ray. I guess we will so who is better come sunday.

amen to that...

Ray is just better at self-promotion. Zach is the best LB at pass coverage I have ever seen. Ray is bigger.

Dajesus, I agree.............

Originally posted by Dajesus
Zach Thomas
180 tackles, 3 sacks, 2 ff, 2 int 1 td(only 15 games)

Ray Lewis
196 tackles, 3 sacks, 1 ff, 3 ints

Theese stats look pretty even to me. If Zach would have played in the final game his average sais he would have finished w/192 tackles just 4 short of Ray, but he also 1 more ff, and td more than Ray. Also since Gardener went down Zach doesn't have the quality of DTs that Ray enjoys to keep blockers off him. I really think they are about the same I am just sick oh always hearing about Ray in such a higher class then any other MLB I think Zach's stats put him neck and neck w/Ray. I guess we will so who is better come sunday.

with you totally on the subject. Although I think Ray is a spectacular MLB, I think that everyone places him on a pedestal that is so much higher than the rest of the MLB's in the league. Zach's stats mirror Ray. Persoanlly, I think Ray is a little more physicall gifted than Zach, but Zach makes up for that in that he's one of the hardest worker's as far as training and prepartion goes. The bottom line is I think that Ray and Zach are the two best overall MLB's in the league with Brian Ulracher not too far behind.:eek:

The three best MLBs in the league are Thomas, Urlacher, and Lewis, everyone has their different orders of who is better though. Close to them are Jeremiah Trotter and Keith Brooking, two very good players.

Iceblizzard..........

Originally posted by iceblizzard69
The three best MLBs in the league are Thomas, Urlacher, and Lewis, everyone has their different orders of who is better though. Close to them are Jeremiah Trotter and Keith Brooking, two very good players.

I was going to put Jeremiah Trotter and Keith Brooking on my next tier of very good quality MLB's. :cool:

You guys are nuts. Do you really think anyone, let alone the NFL, wants to put Ray up on a pedestal? You see, that's what makes him so special- he did all this despite all the off-field problems.

There is a reason why he'll be the starting MLB in the Pro Bowl again. Just in case you forgot, pull out a copy of SB XXXV (I have a copy if you need one). Watch him play. He plays like this EVERY WEEK. That is why he'll be in Hawaii every year- NOT BECAUSE HE'S A FAN FAVORITE WHO DIDN'T REALLY EARN IT.

And he's did it like this since '95.

Have you seen Zach play? They are the same calliber. Although people don't like him, the murder charge then going to the super bowl got him so much attention. All I am saying is their stats are about = for every year they have been in the league except last year when zach missed 5 games. You will see this Sunday, they are at least =. If not I will shut my mouth, I honestly have seen Ray play, but have not payed the attention to him that I will be this Sunday.

Dejesus............

Originally posted by Dajesus
Have you seen Zach play? They are the same calliber. Although people don't like him, the murder charge then going to the super bowl got him so much attention. All I am saying is their stats are about = for every year they have been in the league except last year when zach missed 5 games. You will see this Sunday, they are at least =. If not I will shut my mouth, I honestly have seen Ray play, but have not payed the attention to him that I will be this Sunday.

do you realize how good zach would be if he had size to go along with his heart. zach is about 4 in. shorter than any linebacker in the league and plays like he's 6 foot!:D :eek:

I'm going to give you a completely unbiased opinon on the two MLB's. Zach is a fine lb and a good leader. He just isn't in the same class as Ray Lewis-period. I know that you guys won't agree, but it's because your looking thru dolphin colored glasses. In all honesty Zach belongs on the lower tier below Ray and Urlacher. He belongs with Brookings. Which isn't a bad thing. It's like you said, imagine how good he be if he had some physical tools? Just look at Ray and Brian. He might've been that good.

Dude you are just plain wrong, the stats don't lie in this debate. Urlacher has like 50 less tackles than Zach, so I really don't know what you are talking about. The discussion starts w/Zach and Ray, and then you start going to the next teir. The only true knock on Zach is due to his size he is usually knocked out of a game or 2 durring a season.

Let's be clear about this - I hate Ray Lewis.

But he is a long way clear of the rest at the moment. Get out the tape of the Monday night Steelers/Ravens game and watch him - he was outstanding.

Urlacher, Thomas and Takeo Spikes are the best of the rest IMHO. Spikes may even be better in run support. His stats will be a bit off due to injury this year but he's a hell of a player despite playing for the Bungles.

I just throw this out there - you cannot compare players (that are close in production) in the NFL - since it is a such a team sport :o :)

Is Zach on the Balt D better than Ray on the Fin D ?

Zach is a stand-out LB because he does everything he can do with his size as such a disadvantage. I put him in a class above Brookings et al.

But no one comes close to Ray and Urlacher. Urlacher is still a notch below Ray. He's still too young to determine how good he is, and he's nowhere near the firey leader Ray is.

You really can tell how good Ray is because the NFL puts him on that pedastal even though the entire country (except Baltimore fans) hate him. This is a player that was snubbed for the "I'm going to Disneyworld" promo, was left off the Wheaties box, and in general is treated like the Bubonic plague when it comes to being a spokesperson for anything.

Statistics don't tell the entire story. First, consider that Ray finished with nearly 200 tackles when in the first half of the year he was considered as having an off-year. Second, there is no stat that can read how often the defense tries running away from you or when the defense busts a play because you're in the way even though you don't get a tackle. Ray makes a difference in 70% of the plays on the field. He is everywhere, even if he's not making the tackle he's disrupting something.

He is the total package. He is dominant in pass coverage. He is insanely fast; one of the, if not the, best sideline to sideline defenders in the history of the game. He reads an offense like a childrens book. Against Cinci, he read a Dillon cutback before Dillon cut back and met him at the line of scrimage outside the TE block. Blockers are getting on him this year, but you don't notice it cause he sheds them so efficiently. Last year you never saw a blocker anywhere near him. This year you see them all over him and he's still making tackles or forcing plays somewhere else. He studies as hard if not harder than anyone else in the game. And best of all, he's the guy that gets everyone else fired up about playing the game. He leads the team chant before the games. He showboats coming out of the tunnel because it gets his team fired up.

There is no one on the field that can match this guy. He's as dominant as they come.

Chris

:monkey: :eat:

heh... I just wanted to see a monkey pissing on some popcorn. :D

hard to argue w/such a well stated case RavensBerns. I have seem no one better tha Zach, but have not seen enough Urlacher or Lewis to make an objective comparison.

I would still doubt that any MLB would be as good as Zach ag. the pass, but wasn't Urlacher a SS in college ?

No doubt Zach's biggest problem is shedding blockers - which if Ray is good at give him a huge edge in Run D.

Gee thanks Berns, I was going to the movies tonight. Always thought the butter didn't taste right!!

Back
Top Bottom