Who Makes It Out of the WR Room? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who Makes It Out of the WR Room?

Williams, DVP, Wilson, Force, Hurns and Grant in that order. Perry to the PT. Injuries withstanding which we have a bit of a talented mash squad with this group

...unsure who it was -- thinking CK -- posted some coaches tape
and for me it was eye opening / jaw dropping how OPEN ---
and I mean O P E N Grant got himself a number of times last year
15-20-25 yards downfield but the timing on the play was off due to
QB scramble for life etc. I'm just thinking coaches watch that same
tape and might have a clue as to what Grant can do...

>>> just saying he's an easy target around here to throw under the bus
but the reality of his game may be a LOT different than common fan perception.

A possibility at least.

Grant is tiny...hard to see. Absolutely one of the smallest guys in the league. I've also pretty much never seen Grant show much capability to adjust to a ball thrown downfield.

I'm not holding on to Grant for untapped potential. He is what he is. If we want to carry a returner for a couple splash plays a year that's fine, but that's what he is.

Grant is tiny...hard to see. Absolutely one of the smallest guys in the league. I've also pretty much never seen Grant show much capability to adjust to a ball thrown downfield.

I'm not holding on to Grant for untapped potential. He is what he is. If we want to carry a returner for a couple splash plays a year that's fine, but that's what he is.

...of course -- your opinion (as opposed to "fact") right?

I'm just sayin' it seems like a pretty good quality for a receiver to be

able to get wide open down field -- establish a stationary target and

if the QB can get 'er done (pass pro included) well... Let's just say your

definition of a "returner" and mine are slightly divergent.

If Tua is the qb I expect to see Grant used on the hitch passes, shallow crossing routes and other routes that take advantage of his speed and defenses giving him a decent cushion pre snap. Tua is great at putting the ball in a place where a receiver can run after the catch. Not saying Grant is great or even in the long term plans, but this could/should be his best season production wise.

My comments wasn't so much about Grant's value specifically, as it was about the idea that we would let a better player go, rather than eat the 3 million, which I think would be a mistake.

One thing he has going for him is rare speed. His size is an issue as a wideout, though, and he has trouble getting off the line clean against press coverage. Thus the reason he isn't a good option in the slot.

He has a few great plays per year, but he also muffs some punts, and drops some routine passes.

Not a "lock", IMO.
I agree w this 100% and the thinking behind eating $ vs better option point.

Miami invested money into it's WR's. So I'd follow the money. Those who are getting paid are the ones I'd expect to make the team. Parker, Wilson, Grant and Hurns. William's is another, but his recovery will be key. He may be put on IR with designation to return. Ford is the one I'd be worried about. He deserves to be on an NFL Roster. It may not be Miami's? He's shown he can contribute. Cole and Merritt look like PS guy, who will be developed.

which is totally fine for wr4

critical point re lower roster positions is multiple value points
and you can bet being a legit HR threat on any/every return is
a value point.

Beyond that I think posters around here don't factor into the equation
a players character and general "persona" re the "team."

Grant is a class kid. And has done NOTHING since being in Miami except
conduct himself like a PRO and represent the TEAM in a very pos manner.

You gonna cut bait with THAT -- you better have a very compelling reason.

IMO.

...of course -- your opinion (as opposed to "fact") right?

I'm just sayin' it seems like a pretty good quality for a receiver to be

able to get wide open down field -- establish a stationary target and

if the QB can get 'er done (pass pro included) well... Let's just say your

definition of a "returner" and mine are slightly divergent.

He's had Tannehill, Moore, Fitzpatrick, and Cutler among others, and no QB has ever been able to establish a consistent rapport with a diminutive guy who hasn't displayed good hands, body control, or adjustment ability.

Stats aren't opinion. They are factual record. The stats show he is not a good receiver.

If Tua is the qb I expect to see Grant used on the hitch passes, shallow crossing routes and other routes that take advantage of his speed and defenses giving him a decent cushion pre snap. Tua is great at putting the ball in a place where a receiver can run after the catch. Not saying Grant is great or even in the long term plans, but this could/should be his best season production wise.

Nobody is giving Grant cushion. It's a false assumption that teams give a guy cushion because of speed. In actuality they beat him up at the line and prevent him from getting anywhere since he doesn't have NFL size of body control. You don't have to worry about top speed when it's so easy to prevent a guy from getting there. Not only is this why Grant has not been a consistent deep threat in his career, despite his speed, it's why he's also a non-factor on short routes, since you can effectively take away the two in one swoop. And on the off chance he does get by you, he is very hard to spot downfield since he is practically 1/2 the size of the defenders and he lacks any ability to adjust or position himself for a contested catch.

He's fast. He's a kick returner. But we've been trying for three seasons to make him part of our receive rotation and he's just waste space out there. He's not even reliable for gadget plays since those are pretty much telegraphed by his presence.

He's had Tannehill, Moore, Fitzpatrick, and Cutler among others, and no QB has ever been able to establish a consistent rapport with a diminutive guy who hasn't displayed good hands, body control, or adjustment ability.

Stats aren't opinion. They are factual record. The stats show he is not a good receiver.

Got it!

You the man!

Back
Top Bottom