Who Makes It Out of the WR Room? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who Makes It Out of the WR Room?

Nobody is giving Grant cushion. It's a false assumption that teams give a guy cushion because of speed. In actuality they beat him up at the line and prevent him from getting anywhere since he doesn't have NFL size of body control. You don't have to worry about top speed when it's so easy to prevent a guy from getting there. Not only is this why Grant has not been a consistent deep threat in his career, despite his speed, it's why he's also a non-factor on short routes, since you can effectively take away the two in one swoop. And on the off chance he does get by you, he is very hard to spot downfield since he is practically 1/2 the size of the defenders and he lacks any ability to adjust or position himself for a contested catch.

He's fast. He's a kick returner. But we've been trying for three seasons to make him part of our receive rotation and he's just waste space out there. He's not even reliable for gadget plays since those are pretty much telegraphed by his presence.
Unfortunate, but factually correct.

The kind of teams that have to give a guy like Grant a "cushion", are teams that aren't very good in the secondary.

What is the consensus on Gary Jennings Jr?! Was he on anyone's draft board?

4th round pick of the Seahawks last year..

Saw his highlights at West Virginia.. was open A LOT..

Good size(6'1) weight(215) ran a 4.4 40..

Does he have a chance to make our team?

Any guy brought into camp who has a strong enough camp has a chance to make the team - especially at a position like receiver which requires 4-7 bodies on the final roster.

I hope so. Guy looks like he’s got the skills just needs to get on the field. Hoping he is part of the WR group

Nobody is giving Grant cushion. It's a false assumption that teams give a guy cushion because of speed. In actuality they beat him up at the line and prevent him from getting anywhere since he doesn't have NFL size of body control. You don't have to worry about top speed when it's so easy to prevent a guy from getting there. Not only is this why Grant has not been a consistent deep threat in his career, despite his speed, it's why he's also a non-factor on short routes, since you can effectively take away the two in one swoop. And on the off chance he does get by you, he is very hard to spot downfield since he is practically 1/2 the size of the defenders and he lacks any ability to adjust or position himself for a contested catch.

He's fast. He's a kick returner. But we've been trying for three seasons to make him part of our receive rotation and he's just waste space out there. He's not even reliable for gadget plays since those are pretty much telegraphed by his presence.

I guess we just see different things. I see Grant getting a cushion when healthy and often still beating coverage. You don't see a lot of hard press coverage on him... at least I don't.

He's had Tannehill, Moore, Fitzpatrick, and Cutler among others, and no QB has ever been able to establish a consistent rapport with a diminutive guy who hasn't displayed good hands, body control, or adjustment ability.

Stats aren't opinion. They are factual record. The stats show he is not a good receiver.
that's exactly why no one has been able to establish rapport with him because his damn qb changes every year! None of those guys are exactly HOFers either...

Grant can be replaced. His skill isn't rare. But, for someone to beat him out, they have to CLEARLY beat him out. Vets are barely 'replaced.' In this case, someone with similar skills who can return kicks AND punts, and has good hands will have a good shot.
Flores disagrees, hence the extension. Don't forget, most returns for td's in Fins history in just four seasons. Not easy to replace.

Flores disagrees, hence the extension. Don't forget, most returns for td's in Fins history in just four seasons. Not easy to replace.

Can't completely disagree, but, IMO, there's a reason his contract has a low cost if cut post June 1. I'll agree Flo is likely inclined to keep him, but fans know he's not trusted with punts and he's not been used much (correctly?) as WR. I even mentioned it's hard to beat out a vet. Nonetheless, a fast guy who can also return punts and be more valuable as a receiver has a chance to beat him out.

Parker finally found his way last year and became a true WR1.

Williams showed a ton of potential in his rookie year and could be the real deal with proper coaching.

The rest? Honestly they're a bunch of nobodies who have accomplished nothing in the NFL, other than one good year from Hurns 5 long years ago. You hope for the best but I honestly wouldn't care if any of them were gone.

TFK

that's exactly why no one has been able to establish rapport with him because his damn qb changes every year! None of those guys are exactly HOFers either...

You don't have to be a HOFer to have a rapport with a receiver. Many receivers have had their best years under Fitzpatrick because he airs it out. Cutler was once the same way, though he only established a rapport with the turf when here. Moore and Tannehill earned Stills his current contract with deep balls. Brian Hartline got paid well to be on the same page with Tannehill. In this day and age, almost every starting QB can throw for a lot of yards per game and season, HOF or not. Grant hasn't been able to catch any of them.

I guess we should be talking trade with TB or GB since Grant is apparently a match made for HOF bound QBs.

Forgive me but that's nonsense! There are plenty of ways to get the kid clean off the LOS.

Motion. Stacks. Etc. Your big issue with him is size.

But I'll give you credit. When you dislike a player you don't let go of that bone!

Forgive me but that's nonsense! There are plenty of ways to get the kid clean off the LOS.

Motion. Stacks. Etc. Your big issue with him is size.

But I'll give you credit. When you dislike a player you don't let go of that bone!

Sounds like you're asking us to design an offense around Jakeem Grant. We're not gonna scheme a bunch of plays for Jakeem when we've got Davante Parker, Preston Williams, Albert Wilson (the better version of Jakeem Grant), Matt Breida, legitimate weapons, not to mention Gesicki, Ford (up and comer), Hurns (former 1,000 yard receiver) and Howard (former 1,000 yard back). The team is rightfully going to spend its energy designing plays for players who have proven at this level that they can deliver, rather than a guy who is fast but its questionable if he can even consistently reel in a pass assuming you can scheme him open.

It's silly to act like calling a player what he is "dislike". I rooted hard for Grant. I wanted the fastest, smallest guy on the field to succeed. I was intrigued by his potentially becoming a weapon. But he's had his chance to become one and there are limited snaps available. I like Isaiah Ford, who I'd rather see get snaps behind Williams and Parker. I like Albert Wilson, who if he is healthy has reliably contributed and offers the same skill set as Grant, only refined. There is but one football, and from what I have seen I'd rather have other guys get a chance at it, seeing as I like them too since they are Dolphins, and they deserve the opportunity more.

Sounds like you're asking us to design an offense around Jakeem Grant. We're not gonna scheme a bunch of plays for Jakeem when we've got Davante Parker, Preston Williams, Albert Wilson (the better version of Jakeem Grant), Matt Breida, legitimate weapons, not to mention Gesicki, Ford (up and comer), Hurns (former 1,000 yard receiver) and Howard (former 1,000 yard back). The team is rightfully going to spend its energy designing plays for players who have proven at this level that they can deliver, rather than a guy who is fast but its questionable if he can even consistently reel in a pass assuming you can scheme him open.

It's silly to act like calling a player what he is "dislike". I rooted hard for Grant. I wanted the fastest, smallest guy on the field to succeed. I was intrigued by his potentially becoming a weapon. But he's had his chance to become one and there are limited snaps available. I like Isaiah Ford, who I'd rather see get snaps behind Williams and Parker. I like Albert Wilson, who if he is healthy has reliably contributed and offers the same skill set as Grant, only refined. There is but one football, and from what I have seen I'd rather have other guys get a chance at it, seeing as I like them too since they are Dolphins, and they deserve the opportunity more.

No one is remotely asking for an O built around might mouse!

:lol:

Perhaps there's a difference between that and putting a player in the right "position"

to be successful... As I stated earlier in this thread there's plenty of video evidence

Grant was getting OPEN downfield last season but... Ball didn't get delivered

for a number of reasons. That said, I am not trying to prop Grant up as something

he isn't -- and the kid has yet to really "emerge." Unsure if that will ever happen

but I'm pretty sure Flores and staff see something in him...

Back
Top Bottom