Who needs a QB, and who has the ammo? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who needs a QB, and who has the ammo?

That was false news btw...

What? It is all over the news (Social Media, Phinsinsider, and ESPN). When did they say it not so? That is f**ked up if it not true. *ucking media an reports I hate when someone spreads **** like this. *ucking disregard.

Last edited:
Miami is rebuilding and needs to find a lot of capable players, so IMO they shouldn't even think about trading up... not even for a QB. Most QBs that turned out to be elite were not drafted #1 or #2 overall. Stay with #5, or possibly trade down for more picks.
I disagree. We've waited for over 20 years to find a potential franchise QB. I would prefer not to give up any high Draft picks to move up, but if everyone in the organization is convinced that Tua Tagovailoa is the man and he's healthy, then we shouldn't hesitate to use some of the immense Draft capital that we have accumulated. We have 14 Draft picks. We are just about more loaded with Draft picks than any team has ever been. If it means definitely getting our man, then just do it.

Last edited:
I'm feeling the cowboys are going to try and move up for one of the top 4.

I think the should, you couldn’t put a rookie into a better situation.

transition tag makes more sense than franchise tag for Prescott, no?

Id make a deal for Stafford and pay him $30m+ before locking in Prescott for multiple years.

I disagree. We've waited for over 20 years to find a potential franchise QB. I would prefer not to give up any high Draft picks to move up, but if everyone in the organization is convinced that Tua Tagovailoa is the man and he's healthy, then we shouldn't hesitate to use some of the immense Draft capital that we have accumulated. We have 14 Draft picks. We are just about more loaded with Draft picks than any team has ever been. If it means definitely getting our man, then just do it.

Again, I doubt many would disagree. Yes, some say 'NEVER move up,' but if Miami could give up #5 and the 2rd R2 pick to move up to #3 for Tua, I doubt there would be much grumbling. The question is how much is too much? We can debate this forever, but all that matters is IF Flo/Grier want to move up AND at what cost.

What? It is all over the news (Social Media, Phinsinsider, and ESPN). When did they say it not so? That is f**ked up if it not true. *ucking media an reports I hate when someone spreads **** like this. *ucking disregard.

Don't despair … after 3 HC's and different systems in 4 years … overcoming a leg injury … the kid did pretty damn good IMO

2016 season[edit]
Entering his true freshman season listed as QB2 on the depth chart,[7] Herbert became the first true freshman at Oregon to start at Quarterback since Chris Miller in 1983 when the Ducks took on arch-rival Washington on October 8, 2016.[8] Despite setting or equaling Oregon's single-game records for total offensive yards (512), passing yards (489), and touchdown passes (6),[9] the Ducks finished with their worst season in 25 years, going 4–8 and failing to make a bowl game for the first time in over a decade.[10]
Herbert became the starting quarterback after the fifth game of the season and showcased his talents throwing for 1,936 yards including 19 touchdowns with just four interceptions in eight starts and led a come-from-behind upset at #11 Utah with four touchdowns in the final 15:27 of the game to overcome a 14–3 deficit. On the final drive, he completed 6-of-9 passes for 63 yards with a 17-yard game-winning TD pass with two seconds left.[11]
2017 season[edit]
The Ducks entered the 2017 season with a new head coach Willie Taggart after Oregon fired Mark Helfrich following the 2016 season.[12] Leading the Ducks to a 4–1 start, Herbert's transition from the Chip Kelly/Mark Helfrich era “Blur Offense” to Taggart's “Gulf Coast Offense” was successful before he fractured his collarbone against Cal on September 30, 2017.[13]
Without Herbert in the lineup, the Ducks dropped four of their next five games, and the offense went from averaging 49.2 points per game to just 15.0 points per game.[14] Herbert returned to help the Ducks win their last two regular season games to become bowl eligible.[15] The Ducks were selected to play Boise State in the Las Vegas Bowl but their performance fell flat and the Ducks lost 38–28 after head coach Willie Taggart left the team to become the head coach at Florida State a week before their bowl game.[16][17]
In 8 starts, Herbert had a 6–2 record and threw for 1,983 yards on 139-of-206 passing attempts (67.5%), including 15 touchdowns against only five interceptions. He also rushed the ball 44 times for 183 yards and five touchdowns.[18] Herbert was named first-team CoSIDA Academic All-American with a 4.08 grade-point average in biology.[19]
2018 season[edit]
Herbert entered his third collegiate season as an early Heisman Trophy candidate despite being coached by a third different head coach as well as navigating his third different offensive scheme with new head coach Mario Cristobal transitioning from the spread offense to the pistol offense.[4][20] Herbert led the Ducks to a 9–4 record and a victory in the Redbox Bowl. He finished the year with 3,151 passing yards, 29 passing touchdowns, and two rushing touchdowns. His 31 total touchdowns were good for second in the Pac-12 Conference behind Washington State's Gardner Minshew.[21] He was named to the Pac-12 All-Academic first-team.[22]
2019 season[edit]
On December 26, 2018, Herbert announced that he would return to Oregon for his senior season.[23] He led his team to a 12-2 record and to a win in the Rose Bowl, in which he won the Offensive MVP award. In addition to his on-field success, Herbert was named the 30th recipient of The William V. Cambell Trophy. For winning this award, which is referred to as the "Academic Heisman," Herbert was honored during the 2020 College Football Playoff National Title Game.[24]
Statistics[edit]
PassingRushing
SeasonTeamW-LCOMPATTPCTYDSYDS/ATDINTRATQBRATTYDSYDS/ATD
2016Oregon2–616225563.51,9367.6194148.873.9581612.82
2017Oregon6–213920667.51,9839.6155167.580.1441834.25
2018Oregon9–424040459.43,1517.8298144.772.2711662.32
2019Oregon12-228642866.83,4718.1326158.774.158500.94
CareerOregon29–148131,27363.910,5418.29522153.775.02315602.413
[18]

OP, it was distracting that you didn’t list the Lions in the top 19 teams of at least “might grab one....”

a 32 yr old qb who missed 8 starts and back injuries?

i think that was some wishful musing there on your part!

Don't despair … after 3 HC's and different systems in 4 years … overcoming a leg injury … the kid did pretty damn good IMO

2016 season[edit]
Entering his true freshman season listed as QB2 on the depth chart,[7] Herbert became the first true freshman at Oregon to start at Quarterback since Chris Miller in 1983 when the Ducks took on arch-rival Washington on October 8, 2016.[8] Despite setting or equaling Oregon's single-game records for total offensive yards (512), passing yards (489), and touchdown passes (6),[9] the Ducks finished with their worst season in 25 years, going 4–8 and failing to make a bowl game for the first time in over a decade.[10]
Herbert became the starting quarterback after the fifth game of the season and showcased his talents throwing for 1,936 yards including 19 touchdowns with just four interceptions in eight starts and led a come-from-behind upset at #11 Utah with four touchdowns in the final 15:27 of the game to overcome a 14–3 deficit. On the final drive, he completed 6-of-9 passes for 63 yards with a 17-yard game-winning TD pass with two seconds left.[11]
2017 season[edit]
The Ducks entered the 2017 season with a new head coach Willie Taggart after Oregon fired Mark Helfrich following the 2016 season.[12] Leading the Ducks to a 4–1 start, Herbert's transition from the Chip Kelly/Mark Helfrich era “Blur Offense” to Taggart's “Gulf Coast Offense” was successful before he fractured his collarbone against Cal on September 30, 2017.[13]
Without Herbert in the lineup, the Ducks dropped four of their next five games, and the offense went from averaging 49.2 points per game to just 15.0 points per game.[14] Herbert returned to help the Ducks win their last two regular season games to become bowl eligible.[15] The Ducks were selected to play Boise State in the Las Vegas Bowl but their performance fell flat and the Ducks lost 38–28 after head coach Willie Taggart left the team to become the head coach at Florida State a week before their bowl game.[16][17]
In 8 starts, Herbert had a 6–2 record and threw for 1,983 yards on 139-of-206 passing attempts (67.5%), including 15 touchdowns against only five interceptions. He also rushed the ball 44 times for 183 yards and five touchdowns.[18] Herbert was named first-team CoSIDA Academic All-American with a 4.08 grade-point average in biology.[19]
2018 season[edit]
Herbert entered his third collegiate season as an early Heisman Trophy candidate despite being coached by a third different head coach as well as navigating his third different offensive scheme with new head coach Mario Cristobal transitioning from the spread offense to the pistol offense.[4][20] Herbert led the Ducks to a 9–4 record and a victory in the Redbox Bowl. He finished the year with 3,151 passing yards, 29 passing touchdowns, and two rushing touchdowns. His 31 total touchdowns were good for second in the Pac-12 Conference behind Washington State's Gardner Minshew.[21] He was named to the Pac-12 All-Academic first-team.[22]
2019 season[edit]
On December 26, 2018, Herbert announced that he would return to Oregon for his senior season.[23] He led his team to a 12-2 record and to a win in the Rose Bowl, in which he won the Offensive MVP award. In addition to his on-field success, Herbert was named the 30th recipient of The William V. Cambell Trophy. For winning this award, which is referred to as the "Academic Heisman," Herbert was honored during the 2020 College Football Playoff National Title Game.[24]
Statistics[edit]
PassingRushing
SeasonTeamW-LCOMPATTPCTYDSYDS/ATDINTRATQBRATTYDSYDS/ATD
2016Oregon2–616225563.51,9367.6194148.873.9581612.82
2017Oregon6–213920667.51,9839.6155167.580.1441834.25
2018Oregon9–424040459.43,1517.8298144.772.2711662.32
2019Oregon12-228642866.83,4718.1326158.774.158500.94
CareerOregon29–148131,27363.910,5418.29522153.775.02315602.413
[18]
1582051171295.png

Where's the growth? That's the thing with Herbert. You're buying potential and hope rather than actual elite production. That has gotten many GMs fired.

Washington has some serious issues to contend with....

They have a roster FULL of needs.

a HOF LT that will need to have a change of heart AND a BIG contract extension to come back.

They gave up a 2nd round pick to move up last year to take a pass rusher and already have a very productive pass rusher on the roster although they could elect to move on from soon to be 32 year old, Kerrigan.

Both of their guards are free agents and they will have to decide whether injury prone Scherff is worth top guard money. They might have to franchise tag him.

Their oft-injured TE is on the way out and they have no one behind him.

Their starting RB is 35 and Guice is also always injured.

In addition, they have needs across the board. Especially in the secondary and ILB.

They have a new coach with no GM until after the draft and a 2nd year QB with minimal talent around him.

They could decide that accumulating picks may be a better solution than 1 blue-chip talent.

Washington has some serious issues to contend with....

They have a roster FULL of needs.

a HOF LT that will need to have a change of heart AND a BIG contract extension to come back.

They gave up a 2nd round pick to move up last year to take a pass rusher and already have a very productive pass rusher on the roster although they could elect to move on from soon to be 32 year old, Kerrigan.

Both of their guards are free agents and they will have to decide whether injury prone Scherff is worth top guard money. They might have to franchise tag him.

Their oft-injured TE is on the way out and they have no one behind him.

Their starting RB is 35 and Guice is also always injured.

In addition, they have needs across the board. Especially in the secondary and ILB.

They have a new coach with no GM until after the draft and a 2nd year QB with minimal talent around him.

They could decide that accumulating picks may be a better solution than 1 blue-chip talent.

But that 1 blue-chip talent is 'generational.' And no promise they'll be in the position to draft a top QB next year.

Where's the growth? That's the thing with Herbert. You're buying potential and hope rather than actual elite production. That has gotten many GMs fired.

Don't know … maybe has to do with several HC's and systems?... anyway it's just his stats sheet beyond that I haven't a clue...

But that 1 blue-chip talent is 'generational.' And no promise they'll be in the position to draft a top QB next year.
While I do think Burrow is pretty much set at #1... Im really not so sure Tua doesnt gain traction at #2 or even #3... If he looks very good at his pro day. I dont know about Wash as they may like Haskins enough to think he's solid enough to build around, I mean any QB comes with a certain amount of risk so team team who's already got a decent QB on his rookie contract dont need the extra risk, whether it'd be injury or the odds any rookie reaches his upside.

The Lions owner did a really stupid thing by giving a playoffs or bust ultimatum to the FO/CS... Nevermind about the QB discussion. He just gave his team incentive to completely disregard the future of the franchise for wins this season, this will only lead to stupid mistakes that will put them in an undesirable situation down the road.

That being said, I still wouldnt count them out, people often change their mind and if ownership decides Tua's injury isnt as bad as it was originally thought, they might allow the staff to put him back on their board. They can also draft Tua with the intention of sitting him behind Stafford for a year. The only thing keeping them from doing this is ownership ATM.

As for the Giants, I doubt they even get an opportunity to make the decision, I dont think Tua falls to them...

While I do think Burrow is pretty much set at #1... Im really not so sure Tua doesnt gain traction at #2 or even #3... If he looks very good at his pro day. I dont know about Wash as they may like Haskins enough to think he's solid enough to build around, I mean any QB comes with a certain amount of risk so team team who's already got a decent QB on his rookie contract dont need the extra risk, whether it'd be injury or the odds any rookie reaches his upside.

The Lions owner did a really stupid thing by giving a playoffs or bust ultimatum to the FO/CS... Nevermind about the QB discussion. He just gave his team incentive to completely disregard the future of the franchise for wins this season, this will only lead to stupid mistakes that will put them in an undesirable situation down the road.

That being said, I still wouldnt count them out, people often change their mind and if ownership decides Tua's injury isnt as bad as it was originally thought, they might allow the staff to put him back on their board. They can also draft Tua with the intention of sitting him behind Stafford for a year. The only thing keeping them from doing this is ownership ATM.

As for the Giants, I doubt they even get an opportunity to make the decision, I dont think Tua falls to them...

Reasonable perspective. Of teams willing to trade up, my concerns are Det and Wash, but I'm not too worried about Wash.
Just posted elsewhere, my only concern of teams moving up is the Chargers. Just for fun, if DET and the Chargers talk trade, and if they love Young, they have to calculate the risk of missing out on a QB *AND* Young.

Reasonable perspective. Of teams willing to trade up, my concerns are Det and Wash, but I'm not too worried about Wash.
Just posted elsewhere, my only concern of teams moving up is the Chargers. Just for fun, if DET and the Chargers talk trade, and if they love Young, they have to calculate the risk of missing out on a QB *AND* Young.
The reason Im arguing against this theory isnt Tua... There are alot of argument to be made against him. But "If W was so good, then why X, Y, Z passed on him" doesnt hold any water. If GMs often make mistakes in the draft, then how can you use their decisions as proof that it was a good one. You simply cant.

The reason Im arguing against this theory isnt Tua... There are alot of argument to be made against him. But "If W was so good, then why X, Y, Z passed on him" doesnt hold any water. If GMs often make mistakes in the draft, then how can you use their decisions as proof that it was a good one. You simply cant.

No offense to anyone here, but it's equally questionable, if player X is perceived by fans as an exceptional talent, what are the odds quite a few teams disagree with fans? It is just as likely entire organizations know more about the 'exceptional talent' than fans, than it is fans know more than multiple entire organizations. If fans make mistakes, then their opinions can alo be questioned.

As you know, I'm all for Miami getting Tua, if possible. I'll even trade up a little. But, it isn't beyond reason multiple teams, in this case, #2, #3, #4, have justification for passing a potentially elite talent. I'm not arguing they don't see Tua as good. I suspect they do. Just not good enough to negate their perceived greater need.

Back
Top Bottom