Who REALLY Cares About "40" Time?? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who REALLY Cares About "40" Time??

DolfanDonny

Starter
Reaction score
Sure it's the end-all, be-all of the combine for receivers and running backs. But, come on...let's be real. That kind of time difference (i.e. between a 4.4 and a 4.6) doesn't matter a hill of beans when you're on the field.

Have you ever tried to count to 10 over the span of one second? Now imagine doing that, but stopping at "2." Probably can't be done. IF it can, could you even distinguish between when the first guy runs past you from the second at the 40-yard mark??? 4.4 speed at WR also doesn't matter if you're matched up with 4.4. speed at CB.

I don't think I could blow a fart past you in the .2 of a second everyone is squabbling about.

What matters is elusiveness, ability to stop, start and change directions, ability to "separate" and a decent pair of hands. Let's find a receiver with multiple qualities instead of one with "break-neck speed" who can mythically "stretch the field." If you're blazing toward the goal line, 10 yds behind your CB, but you can't catch the ball, you don't make it in my offense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly and I just say this from experience. (my team just ran 40s 2 weeks ago) The difference between a 4.4 and a 4.6 is a pretty dang large step. One step is huge in the NFL.

It's just one of the things that goes into evaluating athletic ability, the other stuff you mentioned is more important, but pure speed isn't worthless.

i dont get why they do these workouts sans pads....i wanna see how fast this kid is in pads.

The way "40 times" are measured is equivalent to EPA ratings for gas mileage.

Honestly and I just say this from experience. (my team just ran 40s 2 weeks ago) The difference between a 4.4 and a 4.6 is a pretty dang large step. One step is huge in the NFL.

It's just one of the things that goes into evaluating athletic ability, the other stuff you mentioned is more important, but pure speed isn't worthless.

Here was my quote addressing yours: Have you ever tried to count to 10 over the span of one second? Now imagine doing that, but stopping at "2." Probably can't be done. IF it can, could you even distinguish between when the first guy runs past you from the second at the 40-yard mark??? .

These 40 times are for straight-line speed, not when you're running patterns, cutting and trying to find a soft spot in coverage. My point is that there's just TOO MUCH emphasis placed on "40" times rather than the collective things I mentioned.

If you look back at the history of successful receivers in this league, you'd be hard-pressed to find many who consistently ran at sub-4.5 speed. Now, there are the Steve Smiths of the world who are the exception, not the rule...

BAM!!! There went another fart by you...did you catch it in time? :D

Here was my quote addressing yours: Have you ever tried to count to 10 over the span of one second? Now imagine doing that, but stopping at "2." Probably can't be done. IF it can, could you even distinguish between when the first guy runs past you from the second at the 40-yard mark??? .

These 40 times are for straight-line speed, not when you're running patterns, cutting and trying to find a soft spot in coverage. My point is that there's just TOO MUCH emphasis placed on "40" times rather than the collective things I mentioned.

If you look back at the history of successful receivers in this league, you'd be hard-pressed to find many who consistently ran at sub-4.5 speed. Now, there are the Steve Smiths of the world who are the exception, not the rule...

Well I was agreeing and disagreeing with you. The only reason I disagree is because I recently watched a 4.4 guy run a 40 next to a 4.6 guy, and it was clear who won the race. It isn't a big deal, especially before the catch, but after the catch is when straight line speed is more important. It could be the difference between a 10 yard completion, getting tackled, and being able to just outrun the guy and burning everyone for a TD. Agility is more important, but speed will always be speed.

Well I was agreeing and disagreeing with you. The only reason I disagree is because I recently watched a 4.4 guy run a 40 next to a 4.6 guy, and it was clear who won the race. It isn't a big deal, especially before the catch, but after the catch is when straight line speed is more important. It could be the difference between a 10 yard completion, getting tackled, and being able to just outrun the guy and burning everyone for a TD. Agility is more important, but speed will always be speed.

Very true, and agree on several points. CBs are drafted for the same reason though, so all things being equal...receivers need to learn how to run patterns first, then catch the ball. Eluding the defense (where, yes, speed can be a huge factor) all comes AFTER the catch. Given that, unless a receiver is hit in stride with open field in front of him, he may never attain the straight-line 4.4 speed so many teams clamor over...

i dont get why they do these workouts sans pads....i wanna see how fast this kid is in pads.

That would be ideal. Then we could see how fast it translates to the field.

I think 40 times are too over-rated. Really the times you should be looking at are "football" speed. A guy that runs a 4.3 forty might actually have horrible football speed and that is what really matters

well if a cornerback gets beat at the line of scrimmage and the WR runs a go route, the difference of .2 seconds on a 40 time is the difference between that CB being able to catch that WR...

also looking at 10 and 20 second segments of a 40 show you a players acceleration, etc...

its a useful tool in evaluating players since you cant just see them all lined up against each other to see whos best...

there is certainly too much emphasis placed on 40 times, but there is a profound difference between a 4.3 (Ginn Jr.) and a 4.6 (Jarrett) if you're goal is to stretch the field and put the safeties on their heels.

frankly, I don't know why they don't make the guys do the 40, and the shuttle cones, in full pads. That's what they're gonna get paid to do anywya.

These are the most athletically tested and physically subjected individuals in the world prior to draft day. Don't give the 40 times more credit than they deserve. Are they important? Yes, the NFL game is so fast that even the slightest difference in speed is huge. Don't put to much importance on it however because unlike your statement I don't believe teams do.

40 times matter. As do 10 yard and 20 yard splits, shuttle and cone drill times, and all the other stuff they do.

The physics of the game are important.

Re:

Forty times are of minimal usefulness as a measuring stick. The forty times you read about at the combine are generally averages, players can run the forty multiple times, so they might have one spectacular time and a couple mediocre ones. Secondly the times are not recorded on grass, and the players do not wear equipment, which skews the results further. Thirdly, receivers rarely run in straight lines in an NFL game. It's stop and go, cut and turn. DBs are backpedaling, which gives even slower receivers a huge advantage over faster DBs. Shuttle runs are supposedly a more useful tool in measuring a receiver's movement skills.

Back
Top Bottom