Who Replaces Ogunleye? Feeley break. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who Replaces Ogunleye? Feeley break.

Jorser

Insider
Reaction score
Who Replaces Ogunleye?

I am becoming increasingly convinced due the high priority of aquiring our QB of the present and future and the potential cost to do so, that keeping Adewale Ogunleye is a luxury that we can not afford. The possible additional draft picks would go a long way to addressing our needs at QB,WR, OG, DB, RS, and yes DL, if he leaves. I have recently changed my opinion on this, as I have been adamant that they can not let him go, due to him being the only young stud cornerstone of an aging defense. But the need at QB supercedes this, primarily due to Brunell not being available, especially as a non compensated free agent. So to my point.....

Who replaces Ogunleye in the starting line up should my scenario pan out??? I am very concerned that this player may not be on the roster right now. Which means we may end up right back in the free agent market for his replacement. Most of us would be upset with a DE selected with a #1 pick and would a #2 ( if we traded up somehow) or a #3 really have anywhere close to the impact of Ogunleye in his first year?? A look at the candidiates in order of probability:

1) Jay Williams - A good player and has the size, but may be better suited to remain in his swing reserve DE/DT role. At 31+ may wear down over the long haul.

2) David Bowens - Also a good role player, who in my opinion, is way to small for strong side full time duty. He is due to make $1.6M this year and has a low remaining signing bonus due, so he could be a prime candiate to be released or drastically re-structered depending on how the team views him. He is a heck of a situational player, but I see him getting engulfed by huge RT's and TE's. He is only 255-260 lbs and may also not be the same player since his injury.

3) Al Wallace - Free agent form Panthers. Former Dolphin with South Florida ties could be value guy to come in and possibly start. Has good upfield moves and is strong at the point of attack. Still may not have the size or stamina to handle heavy duty full time play.

4) Otis Grigsby - Young guy they kept on active roster all year last year that we don't know much about. High motor, decent speed. Seems to me more like a less expensive candidate to replace D. Bowens in his role than to be expected to step in the shoes of Wale.

5) Lemanzer Williams - Another unknown. Has the size and was a good player in 2003 in NFLE. Coming off on injury and has not played any if at all in the NFL. He could be the sleeper of the bunch based on his perfomance in Europe and his size.

6) Lorenzo Bromell - Same as Al Wallace. Could also play as swing DT in nickel package.

Who do you think it will be? Is there another value free agent that would be a good fit that we could have an insidde track on. The key is value. One of these guys would need to be the reserve, so it really appears that another player will need to be added if the don't match for Ogunleye.

i think if bowens stays healthy he and jay williams rotating there would be just fine. trace armstrong and others have done well opposite JT and bowens was in a battle for PT with ogun before all his injury issues. I think we can be fine.

None of the candidates you mentioned would be even remotely adequate in replacing Wale...

Keeping him is not necessarily a luxury we can't afford...and here's why I think so.

Our need at QB can be addressed by drafting Phillip Rivers---signing him to a modest contract and starting him.

Our need at WR? I don't think we have one---our problem is that there is no QB to throw the ball to the WRs we have. Chambers, O.G. & Thompson/McKnight are a fine combination (especially for a defensive/running team).

Our need at OL can be filled in the later rounds of the draft---if you do your homework, you'll see that this draft is stacked with big, strong lineman and the need for those is not as great around the rest of the league as it used to be (most teams have a fairly strong O-line...only about 5 or 6 teams need help at that position).

Therefore...keeping Wale would be beneficial and possible for us to do...he is a key part of the defense and without him, Jason Taylor doesn't perform as well.

IMO, Sam Madison is the expendable part of Miami's defense...

Man, with all due respect, I disagree with most of what you say.

First of all Oronde Gadsden is done, and also a free agent. James McKnight will be cut in a couple of weeks due to his high salary and low remaining bonus. He costs over $1.5M and that will be needed to sign other players, and in your scenario, someone like Ogunleye. The receivers AND the quarterback on this team have been average at best. McKnight is fast but he is not dependable or tough, two qualities that they they must have in their WR's.

What makes you think a rookie like Rivers could come in here and start and have any kind of grand positive impact? He may be a good player and great in the near future, but no rookie can step in to a starting job in the NFL without costly mistakes and gowing through the proper learning curve. This team is not in psoition to have that happen this year. We are in a full blown desparate win now mentality. Ask Dave Wanstedt and Rick Spielman if they might agree with that?

Sam Madison is expendable? At what cost? Going out and signing another high priced or even value CB?? Add the cost of signing a replacement ( which by the way there is not a CB on the roster that could adequately replace him) to the cap hit we would take to release Madison and you are right back at square one. We will already need a yound CB to come in and replace Fletcher, now your scenario has us needing two. He is still one of the top cover corners in the league. You are better off negitiating a better cap friendly deal and keeping in and this secondary in tact. Yo are already possibly replacing one or both safeties due to the cap, no way to we change 3/4 of this secondary. The nickel ( T Buck is also a free agent). Get the point??? There is a lot to do on this roster and Ogunleye gives them LEVERAGE.......

Your comments about OL make no sense to me. No draft will yield sure fire impact guys from the 3rd-5th rd in thier first year. We already have those projects on our roster. We need an impact togh SOB on the line as a high priority free agent and a high draft choice.

I'll say I agree in part with both Jorser and MightyMosDurf. Here's why...

Ogunleye is a star DE that will be impossible to replace in the short term, especially with our current salary cap problems. I think letting him go would be a quick short term fix, but a long term mistake.

The Dolphins need to balance the salaries on both sides of the ball. With the amount of money they are spending on defense, you'd think they would be winning 12 games per season. Well, they would be if the offense was halfway decent.

Releasing Madison is a much better solution than releasing Ogunleye. Cover corners are very tough to come by, I agree. But, what good is it to have two Pro-Bowl corners if there isn't any pressure on the QB? And if you release Ogunleye, there will be constant double teams on Taylor. If you noticed, teams were double-teaming Taylor as often later in the season because of Ogunleye's pressure. I don't care if you are Surtain, Madison, Champ Bailey or Deion Sanders, you can't cover a WR forever.

Just look at last season's OT home game versus New England. Brady scrambles to his left and heaves a bomb past two DBs into the arms of WR that broke his initial route. No pressure on Brady. The Secondary couldn't cover more than a few seconds. Patriots score on a 80+ TD pass!

I would be much more interested in keeping 3/4 of the secondary and releasing Madison. The release of Griese & McKnight, plus the restructuring of a few contract will put us where we need to be. Also keep in mind the salary cap was increased to $80 million, a figure the Dolphins did not expect a month ago.

In my opinion, they need to find a QB that can lead this team and get the WRs the ball. There are some holes on the OL, but I also think our offense was so predictable at many points in the season that the best linemen at their positions wouldn't have helped. Maybe losing Norv Turner is a blessing in disguise. As great a coordinator as he may be, he doesn't seem to change much with the flow of the game. The Dolphins need to take more chances down the field and challenge teams rather than relying on Ricky Williams to carry the ball 40+ times as he did versus Buffalo.

I have a strange feeling that this season will be much different.

The "knock" on Bowens is the same knock on Jason Taylor, Adewale Ogunleye, Dwight Freeney, and a plethora of other DEs.

In a way, Jason Taylor revolutionized the position.

I think we are solid a DE.

Watch out for Grigsby in this scenario. Of the three that are currently on the Dolphins roster, I think Grigsby has the best combination of pass rush abillity and run stuff ability.

What about Tony Brown, the guy we signed from Carolina half way through the season. I know he went undrafted but Carolina and Miami really liked his potential. Just a thought

I'd like for Grisby to get a shot but I don't see ANY of the players on the roster to be able to replace Ogun and did the things he did.

Ozzy rules!!

For future reference Jorser, you can simply "bump" a thread as opposed to reposting it. By that, I simply mean replying to it. That brings it back to the top. And that way you don't lose out on your responses from previous threads. :)

I don't think we'll be able to replace Wally if he leaves. But I don't necessarily think we'll be in dire straits either. Those are very competant DEs behind Wally.

Al Wallace is a guy I'd like to have back. It'd be tough to pry him from the Super Bowl runner-ups. But he is from West Palm Beach. And he has a better chance of starting here than Carolina, where Mike Rucker and Julius Peppers are firmly entrenched.

Al Wallace is exactly the type of player that the Miami pro scouting department has gone after in the past. A true sleeper who is flying under the radar. We had him previously, so we know what kind of ability he brings. He has proven himself as a back up in Carolina and would likely jump at the opportunity to come back to Miami as a starter.

J.Williams, D.Bowens, A.Wallace, Grigsby, L.Williams..L.Bromell...

"None of the candidates you mentioned would be even remotely adequate in replacing Wale..."

Everyone keeps forgetting one name...Kenny Mixon.

Mixon started 16 games at DE in 2001(after Armstrong left) his stats..
44 tackles 2 sacks.

Miami was 11th in pts & 5th in yards allowed in 2000. In 2003 (w/Ogunleye) Miami was 3rd in pts & 11th in yds allowed.

Miami's defense can still be very good without one dominant pass-rushing DE. They proved it..with Mixon rotating with others on passing downs.

Back
Top Bottom