Who Should New Head Coach Target To Be Offensive Coordinator? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who Should New Head Coach Target To Be Offensive Coordinator?

Whoever the hell is under that coaches up there in Chicago or out west with the Rams. Those two have put on the two better offensive play calling i've seen last year and this year.

Careful what you wish for. You might wind up with the return of Zac Taylor, thanks to McVay Fever.

Isn’t Bevel the guy that decided to leave Marshawn Lynch on bench from 1 yard line in Super Bowl and same guy that hamstrung russel Wilson?

Lol! Possibly, but at this point would Zac Taylor be a downgrade from A.Gase?
Oddly enough, Zac Taylor was highly regarded when he was here. The fans wrote him off because he was related and everyone immediately thought it was a nepotism hire … and it may well have been. But everyone who worked with him gave him rave reviews, and he did seem like a bright young coach.

I have no qualms with Zac Taylor … but I don't think he would consider coming back, nor do I think the Dolphins would support hiring him either. I don't think Kris Richard would hire him because he doesn't want any awkwardness in a franchise that has had more than its share of awkwardness in the Ross era.

Isn’t Bevel the guy that decided to leave Marshawn Lynch on bench from 1 yard line in Super Bowl and same guy that hamstrung russel Wilson?
He took responsibility for it and said it was his play call but some unnamed players from the Seahawks suggested that it was Pete Carroll's call and he wanted Russ to have his moment. This was from an article that came out in the off season that gave an insider look as to why the LoB era came to an end in Seattle.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/09/07/seattle-seahawks-dismantling-rift-russell-wilson-pete-carroll

All of this came, remarkably, before the crushing Super Bowl defeat, before Wilson drove the Seahawks to the 1-yard-line in the game’s final minute against the Patriots, giving Seattle a chance to win. That Wilson threw an interception mattered less than the fact that the Seahawks had called a pass play on second down. Many who lamented how Wilson was treated differently now believed, truly believed, that Carroll had called a pass play to give Wilson a better chance to win the Super Bowl MVP award and decrease Marshawn Lynch’s chances, perhaps conveniently ignoring that offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell might have actually called the play. Regardless, the players say, that call contradicted what Carroll always said publicly: that he wanted to run the ball and play great defense, that that’s how he built the Seahawks—to be tough and stop foes and let Lynch bulldoze Seattle to victory after victory. Again, several players felt that Carroll said one thing and did another, and this time it had cost them a repeat Super Bowl title.

He took responsibility for it and said it was his play call but some unnamed players from the Seahawks suggested that it was Pete Carroll's call and he wanted Russ to have his moment. This was from an article that came out in the off season that gave an insider look as to why the LoB era came to an end in Seattle.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/09/07/seattle-seahawks-dismantling-rift-russell-wilson-pete-carroll

Pete Carroll’s a shady cat so that wouldn’t surprise me

I live in WA State and watch every Seahawk game as my wife is a diehard "12", and Darrel Bevell would drive you all crazy, trust me.

Run, run, short pass punt. Even worse than Gase's predictable crap and he refused to change, that's why Pete finally had to get rid of him.

Fyi......Marshawn was on the field, wide open in the left flat, yet Bevell ran the same exact play, from the exact formation for the 12th time in 12 attempts. Seriously.

Oddly enough, Zac Taylor was highly regarded when he was here. The fans wrote him off because he was related and everyone immediately thought it was a nepotism hire … and it may well have been. But everyone who worked with him gave him rave reviews, and he did seem like a bright young coach.

I have no qualms with Zac Taylor … but I don't think he would consider coming back, nor do I think the Dolphins would support hiring him either. I don't think Kris Richard would hire him because he doesn't want any awkwardness in a franchise that has had more than its share of awkwardness in the Ross era.

That's unfortunate!

What about Mike McDaniel of San Francisco?

I like looking at the guys who were involved with the Redskins offense in 2012 when they took Robert Griffin and made him a star as a rookie, despite the fact he wasn't a great NFL passer.

They did an excellent job that year molding an offense around him. As an Offensive Assistant, let's not have any illusions that Mike McDaniel had any part of the decision-making. But he did take part in the experience, and that can also be important.

Since then he's done pretty well for himself. He's been Kyle Shanahan's Run Coordinator for two years in San Francisco and that's a pretty important part of the Shanahan offense. They've have a good run game.

The other choice I love is James Urban of the Baltimore Ravens.

Has tons of experience as both a QB Coach and a WR Coach.

He was a QB Coach for the Philadelphia Eagles in 2009-2010, when Michael Vick went to Philly under Andy Reid and LIT UP the scene. Urban left the next year to go to Cincinnati as WR Coach and Michael Vick was never the same after that.

But his tenure at Cincinnati as WR Coach was long and highly successful, if you look at it.

Now he shows up in Baltimore and helps Lamar Jackson go 6-1 as his QB Coach.

What about Mike McDaniel of San Francisco?

I like looking at the guys who were involved with the Redskins offense in 2012 when they took Robert Griffin and made him a star as a rookie, despite the fact he wasn't a great NFL passer.

They did an excellent job that year molding an offense around him. As an Offensive Assistant, let's not have any illusions that Mike McDaniel had any part of the decision-making. But he did take part in the experience, and that can also be important.

Since then he's done pretty well for himself. He's been Kyle Shanahan's Run Coordinator for two years in San Francisco and that's a pretty important part of the Shanahan offense. They've have a good run game.
The other choice I love is James Urban of the Baltimore Ravens.

Has tons of experience as both a QB Coach and a WR Coach.

He was a QB Coach for the Philadelphia Eagles in 2009-2010, when Michael Vick went to Philly under Andy Reid and LIT UP the scene. Urban left the next year to go to Cincinnati as WR Coach and Michael Vick was never the same after that.

But his tenure at Cincinnati as WR Coach was long and highly successful, if you look at it.

Now he shows up in Baltimore and helps Lamar Jackson go 6-1 as his QB Coach.

You're probably more in the "know" with these coaches than the majority of us. However, if there is one quality that the OC needs to have, imo, and was the achilles heel for Gase is "offensive malleability." Gase was far too stubborn and wooden in his philosophy as OC. Hell, I think in today's game you have to take on some Bruce Lee-like Zen and be just like water. Essentially your style is "no style." You have no problems throwing out a new O-philosophy every week, if that's what it calls for to 1) Maximize your offensive personnel and 2) Exploit the opponent's weaknesses.

I don't think Gase had that type of skill set/willingness or perhaps time juggling his OC responsibilities and/or HC role. Either way, the team struggled and never maximized on offense.

Lol! Possibly, but at this point would Zac Taylor be a downgrade from A.Gase?

Zac Taylor has only one and a half seasons as an offensive coordinator under his belt at any level of football. He had a half season here in Miami, which I will not judge him on, because he had to take over midway through the season and the offense was a mess. I do not believe that anyone could have been successful -- especially as a first time coordinator -- in that situation.

He had one full season with the Cincinnati Bearcats, and that was kind of a disaster. The offense fared very poorly (couldn't score points) and the coaching staff got flushed afterward.

I think Taylor should go back to the FBS (or even FCS) level to apply what he's learned and show he has the chops for a big time job. For any team to be giving him a head coaching interview seems like a total nutjob decision, IMO.

Zac Taylor has only one and a half seasons as an offensive coordinator under his belt at any level of football. He had a half season here in Miami, which I will not judge him on, because he had to take over midway through the season and the offense was a mess. I do not believe that anyone could have been successful -- especially as a first time coordinator -- in that situation.

He had one full season with the Cincinnati Bearcats, and that was kind of a disaster. The offense fared very poorly (couldn't score points) and the coaching staff got flushed afterward.

I think Taylor should go back to the FBS (or even FCS) level to apply what he's learned and show he has the chops for a big time job. For any team to be giving him a head coaching interview seems like a total nutjob decision, IMO.

Give me the young and flexible kid any day over the HC that thinks his play calling/OC identity is beyond scrutiny and would rather try and fit a triangle in a square space.

The Redskins ran rg3 to hard contact. Of course that’s the only game he could play so I guess in that regard they played to his strengths.

Took advantage of his freakish quick acceleration to top speed in the zone read and pistol and gave him easy reads out of them in the pass game.

His own fault he never learned how to slide. Still that offense cut shelf life on rg3. Well that and his inability to learn to slide.

Once his quick acceleration was gone to top end speed so was his entire game.

And that was before he tore his acl. He was damaged goods well before that from all the contact he took. That was just the capper

Back
Top Bottom