Who to cut for cap room | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who to cut for cap room

This is the only rationale that I can come up with. Let's say we're definitely keeping Parker and Williams. Let's also say we're bringing in 2 via draft and/or FA. That leaves two slots I believe with Hurns, Wilson, Bowden and Grant to choose from. I think Grant is definitely gone in that case. We just traded for Bowden, looked solid at times and was just a rookie so its fair to say there's some upside. So then it comes down to Hurns and Wilson. I know nothing about Hurns, but we do save 2M by cutting Wilson instead and Wilson does have a bit of an injury history.
You always want to bring, at least, one more WR to camp than you think will make the team. It might leave you with a tough cut later, but it will protect you from injury... and who knows, you might be able to move the extra guy for a pick.

You always want to bring, at least, one more WR to camp than you think will make the team. It might leave you with a tough cut later, but it will protect you from injury... and who knows, you might be able to move the extra guy for a pick.
That's fair. That just changes when Wilson is cut/moved rather than why if he's in fact cut/moved.

That's fair. That just changes when Wilson is cut/moved rather than why if he's in fact cut/moved.
Yes... that has been my argument with Wilson the entire time. I bring him to camp because bringing him to camp costs nothing... if he plays really well... great! If not, then we cut him.

Same with Hurns.

You really want 3 or 4 extra recievers in camp. Some may not initially ne seen a threats to make the 53, but it takes that many to run a hundred player camp.

Once any random guy is there, who knows. Its a good way to find "rough" talent to develop on the PS.

You really want 3 or 4 extra recievers in camp. Some may not initially ne seen a threats to make the 53, but it takes that many to run a hundred player camp.

Once any random guy is there, who knows. Its a good way to find "rough" talent to develop on the PS.
Yep...

And so many 'cut 'em all' posters don't really get this. They want instant gratification... and every average player to be replaced... RIGHT NOW!

It just doesn't work that way.

The Hurns and Wilson situations are both different that anything we've experienced previously. Originally, before their contracts were extended by a year because of Covid, it looked like 2020 would be the last year here for both of them. Their contracts were tailored that way, but now that everything was pushed back a year, they are coming back when we didn't expect them to be with us.

It will require an open mind.

I'm in on bringing all the raw WR talent we can fit in camp. Maybe we find the next Preston. And hopefully we don't get him injured by stupidly having our 6'5 #2 WR returning punts.

That got more specific than I intended, but I stand by everything I wrote.

Yep...

And so many 'cut 'em all' posters don't really get this. They want instant gratification... and every average player to be replaced... RIGHT NOW!

It just doesn't work that way.

The Hurns and Wilson situations are both different that anything we've experienced previously. Originally, before their contracts were extended by a year because of Covid, it looked like 2020 would be the last year here for both of them. Their contracts were tailored that way, but now that everything was pushed back a year, they are coming back when we didn't expect them to be with us.

It will require an open mind.
I really think Wilson could be an asset. I've said it before, but it bears repeating.

He (assuming he's healthy) is a good route runner with decent hands, fairly versatile wide or slot, and fastcas hell.

Aside from that, his contract number is not out of line for your average #4 or #5 veteran reciever. When you factor in dead cap, I find it hard to believe you can replace what he brings for less money.

The injuries are a concern, but he's exactly the type of reciever we do not have at the moment.

Leaves Mia with $31M. With certain cuts, should add about $22M

My cuts are:
McCain
Rowe
Wilson
Granite
Davis
Hurns
Sieler
and Fijjy

I guess it's conceivable Miami may jettison Rowe OR McCain. I m inclined it's neither. Won't be both. Wilson stay, at least until a fast/quick slot is brought in, likely not even then. Seiler? He stays, unless something unexpected happens. Grant is on the team for returns. I'd LOVE him gone, but not until there's a replacement

I really think Wilson could be an asset. I've said it before, but it bears repeating.

He (assuming he's healthy) is a good route runner with decent hands, fairly versatile wide or slot, and fastcas hell.

Aside from that, his contract number is not out of line for your average #4 or #5 veteran reciever. When you factor in dead cap, I find it hard to believe you can replace what he brings for less money.

The injuries are a concern, but he's exactly the type of reciever we do not have at the moment.
Absolutely agree... I made the point at the beginning of last year that losing Wilson really would hurt our offense, and it did.

...and what we lost in losing Wilson, is EXACTLY what most of the Smith/Chase people are trying to add. It isn't the players I object to, it is the cost. I think there is a VERY real chance that Albert Wilson can and might give our offense more than either of the shiny rookies would.

Leaves Mia with $31M. With certain cuts, should add about $22M

My cuts are:
McCain
Rowe
Wilson
Granite
Davis
Hurns
Sieler
and Fijjy
Why the hell would you cut both safeties, a good back up lineman who can everything but c, and seiler? No way man.

I see two WRs only. Smith and a slot WR. We have Parker, Wilson, Williams, Bowden, Hurns and Grant under contract. If we carry 6 plus a gadget/returner that would be one guy too many. Dump Grant and make Bowden the full time returner/gadget guy.

I think this could be one of the most poorly thought out threads I have ever come across. It's like a cornucopia of bad ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom