Who to cut for cap room | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who to cut for cap room

Do we save any cap space if we cut Grant or Wilson? It didn't look we did at over the cap...
My opinion, on Grant's case, there likely won't be a roster spot for him, so the cap savings are only part of the issue.

As I posted before, Wilson would be hard to replace with the amount saved. If he has fully recovered, that doesn't make sense either monetarily, nor as a good route runner, with decent hands, and elite speed.

Last edited:
Top 10 this year isn't very much. It's all relative. Even though we are in better position than most, we don't have room to sign top $ FAs, at least not more than one. Don't forget, we also have a few players who will be looking for extensions, and with the cap future unsure, it probably wouldn't be prudent to spend every dime available.

In any case, there are very few cuts that return any substantial gain. A few mil with Grant, who IMO will be the odd man out in a revamped reciever corps.

Clayton Fejedelem can be cut with 0 dead money, saving 2.5 million.

B. McCain would free up a little over 5 mil, but I think there is little chance of that.

Correct. Re-signing a couple of guys, rookie money, carry-over, and one decent FA. Money is nearly gone.

There is very little cap money to be reclaimed by releasing any of the players mentioned really...

Most of the higher paid Dolphins are recent signings and can't be cut this year... or alternately... as in Parker or Grant... actually have reasonable contracts and because of that... have trade value.

I doubt that we cut anyone.

My opinion, on Grant's case, there likely won't be a roster spot for him, so the cap savings are only part of the issue.

As I posted before, Wilson would be hard to replace with the amount saved. If he has fully recovered, that doesn't make sense either monetarily, nor as a good route runner, with decent hands, and elite speed.
I like Wilson to a point. The problem I have is I'm sick of counting on players that you can't count on. Parker's have one healthy season. preston's been with us for two years and both years he's missed half the season. Wilson had a good half a season for us then got hurt. Came back from that and it took him half the season to get going again then he opted out.

This is just my opinion of course but I'm ok having one of those 3 backs and maybe even two of them but all 3 is pretty much asking for trouble once again.

people may get sand in their vag's because parker pulled a hamstring, but he is one of your top handful of players making very reasonable moolah.

Wilson opted out and we haven't seen him in a year. When healthy he is a very quick slot receiver who catches the ball. I'd definitely keep Wilson if he shows up in great shape. I think Tua might like how quick he gets open.
i take albert back in a heartbeat city.

I like Wilson to a point. The problem I have is I'm sick of counting on players that you can't count on. Parker's have one healthy season. preston's been with us for two years and both years he's missed half the season. Wilson had a good half a season for us then got hurt. Came back from that and it took him half the season to get going again then he opted out.

This is just my opinion of course but I'm ok having one of those 3 backs and maybe even two of them but all 3 is pretty much asking for trouble once again.
It has been disappointing to put it mildly.

Perhaps our FO is taking that into consideration.

My take, from the perspective you laid out, is that PW and DVP are the same skillset, with Williams being younger and cheaper. On the other hand, Preston has shown pretty bad hands at times.

One thing this team is in desperate need of is "take the top off" speed, which a healthy Wilson has.

Unfortunately, I don't know that any of them have much trade value, but if I could get a day2 pick for any of them, I would probably do it.

I don't know that Wilson is an obvious cut. He is a pretty good RAC guy, with blazing speed. Isn't that exactly what many are asking for?

Injury concerns are valid, but I think you have to bring him into camp, and take a look. Also, cutting him doesn't really save that much. Unless you can field 5 or 6 guys who are unquestionably better, you can't get a comparable player for less money.
No reason not to at least bring him to camp. See if he has anything left.

There really isn't a pressing need for cap space, is there? Pretty sure the Dolphins are in the top-ten in terms of space

You can never have too much cap space.

Who to cut for cap space can be shortened to "who to cut". Each teams needs to address this problem each year in order to open paths for promising players by removing over priced (can also be read as under performing) players. This is how teams maintain their capabilities while at the same time taking steps to improve the team. None of this happens in a vacuum.

Who to cut for cap space can be shortened to "who to cut". Each teams needs to address this problem each year in order to open paths for promising players by removing over priced (can also be read as under performing) players. This is how teams maintain their capabilities while at the same time taking steps to improve the team. None of this happens in a vacuum.

The hurdle to jump is "over-priced." By who's standards is over-priced defined? I'd have cut Grant 2 years ago. Apparently, FLo doesn't think he's over-priced. And then the question is replace them with who? Not as easy as it sounds. Then it's 'how much would the cut actually improve the cap?'

I'm with you. The more cap the better, but the path is difficult which is why so few teams cut over-priced players.

Sugar Ray is right. And Cap space just doesn't clear because you cut someone. If that were to be the case the nfl would be a mess lol.

I agree with this, there are always players that should be cut for performance. If they're are overpaid, all the more reason. I just don't see the need to cut young promising players for the sole reason of freeing up cap space. The OP would cut 3 WRs, creating a void that would be have to be filled with draft picks that could be used on existing holes or free agents that eat the cap that he was trying to increase in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom