Who to cut for cap room | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who to cut for cap room

Dan13Forever

Sewell = waste pick
☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Easy decision, Parker, Williams, Grand, Wilson ( use top three picks on wr ), Godchaux, Breider....just first few that came to my head.
What others would you cut in order for us in FA market?

Wouldn’t cut Parker. Williams is in his final year on a UDFA contract and doesn’t save us much, so no need to cut him. Godchaux is already a FA. As is Breida.

Grant is cut.
McCain is cut.
Wilson is cut.
Hurns is cut.
Resign Ogbah to a new deal, lessen his cap hit this year.

The only moves I’d make. Could save $15-20 million

Godchaux and Brenda are both free agents so they don’t count against the cap at this time. I doubt either of them will be resigned this off season.
I think one of the starting safeties will be cut to free up cap space but I’m not sure which one.
I don’t see Hurns on the team in 2021 and I wouldn’t be surprised if Grant and possibly Wilson are cut or traded before the season starts.

Easy decision, Parker, Williams, Grand, Wilson ( use top three picks on wr ), Godchaux, Breider....just first few that came to my head.
Godchaux and Breida are free agents. I wouldn't sign either.

Godchaux is a good player, but probably not a starter in Miami and he's going to want that kind of money. I was excited about the Breida trade, but he was outplayed by Gaskin and Ahmed.

Grant and Wilson could be cut.

I don't know why you'd cut Parker and Preston Williams is on a rookie contract. Granted, if he can't stay healthy he could be surpassed by others on the roster. Parker is a solid starter, a #2 type who has had to compete against teams #1 corners. Bring in a top talent to complement Parker and Geisicki and I think everyone becomes better. Chase, Smith, Waddle etc.

There really isn't a pressing need for cap space, is there? Pretty sure the Dolphins are in the top-ten in terms of space
Top 10 this year isn't very much. It's all relative. Even though we are in better position than most, we don't have room to sign top $ FAs, at least not more than one. Don't forget, we also have a few players who will be looking for extensions, and with the cap future unsure, it probably wouldn't be prudent to spend every dime available.

In any case, there are very few cuts that return any substantial gain. A few mil with Grant, who IMO will be the odd man out in a revamped reciever corps.

Clayton Fejedelem can be cut with 0 dead money, saving 2.5 million.

B. McCain would free up a little over 5 mil, but I think there is little chance of that.

Wouldn’t cut Parker. Williams is in his final year on a UDFA contract and doesn’t save us much, so no need to cut him. Godchaux is already a FA. As is Breida.

Grant is cut.
McCain is cut.
Wilson is cut.
Hurns is cut.
Resign Ogbah to a new deal, lessen his cap hit this year.

The only moves I’d make. Could save $15-20 million
I might keep McCain, but otherwise we are on the same page. I'd also resign Baker, who is in the final year of his contract.

You want to cut all our recievers, and roll with all unproven rookies?

Not wise, IMO.

Do we save any cap space if we cut Grant or Wilson? It didn't look we did at over the cap...

I don't think we do on Wilson. I mused in a post a while back that it would save us money to cut him, then an educated poster politely showed me how cutting him saved little. I wish I still had the link. But if you research it, cutting him now saves minimal $$.

Parker? Seriously? We’d only save $3m and take on $8m of dead cap. And we’re desperate for quality receivers.

Grant and Wilson combine to make $5.6m of cap space. McCain by himself frees up the same amount. Another $2.5m from Fejedelem. If they want to sign a big name receiver, pass rusher or Thuney, they could easily create the space.

i don’t think we need quantity, 1-2 quality guys on either side of the ball before the draft though would be game changing.

I might keep McCain, but otherwise we are on the same page. I'd also resign Baker, who is in the final year of his contract.
I don't know that Wilson is an obvious cut. He is a pretty good RAC guy, with blazing speed. Isn't that exactly what many are asking for?

Injury concerns are valid, but I think you have to bring him into camp, and take a look. Also, cutting him doesn't really save that much. Unless you can field 5 or 6 guys who are unquestionably better, you can't get a comparable player for less money.

Back
Top Bottom