Who to cut for cap room | Page 13 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who to cut for cap room

Absolutely agree... I made the point at the beginning of last year that losing Wilson really would hurt our offense, and it did.

...and what we lost in losing Wilson, is EXACTLY what most of the Smith/Chase people are trying to add. It isn't the players I object to, it is the cost. I think there is a VERY real chance that Albert Wilson can and might give our offense more than either of the shiny rookies would.
Wilson's last year with the Chiefs, he led the league with yards per reception, caught behind the line of scrimmage. Landry, was a distant second in his last year with us. Albert was on a crazy pace his first few games before he got hurt and had 4 TDs. He was sluggish after the injury, but came on at the end of the year. The guy is a football player and has a knack for yards after catch that you can't teach. I hope he comes back and is in his early 2018 form!

His stats through 7 games in 2018 before getting hurt (not even a full 7) average out to 60 catches for 900 yards and 9 TDs.

Last edited:
Why you want to get rid of productive players, but keep Ouch Parker and Droppie Williams?
You have to weigh the contributions of the player against the salary cap savings.

Parker: His salary for 2021 is reasonable for his production. I suggest he is more valuable than $4 million in cap space.
Williams: He's only making minimum salary. No reason not to at least keep him through training camp.
Safeties: Brandon Jones is ready for a larger role next year and I would also take one early in this draft. McCain and Rowe were replacement level last season...if we're being charitable.
Wilson: The cap savings are more valuable than the player.
Grant: With the NFL effectively legislating kickoff returns out of the game, the cap savings are more valuable than the player.
Fejedelem: At this stage of our rebuild, we can't afford $2.5 million on a special teamer.

Wouldn’t cut Parker. Williams is in his final year on a UDFA contract and doesn’t save us much, so no need to cut him. Godchaux is already a FA. As is Breida.

Grant is cut.
McCain is cut.
Wilson is cut.
Hurns is cut.
Resign Ogbah to a new deal, lessen his cap hit this year.

The only moves I’d make. Could save $15-20 million
If you are cutting McCain, you better have a replacement ready because he is solid, though unspectacular. You are not lowering the Ogbah cap hit unless you are pushing a lot of money later in the deal. He is going to get a big raise from 7.5 million, unless he really goes for the security of a long term deal now and forfeits market value next offseason.

You have to weigh the contributions of the player against the salary cap savings.

Parker: His salary for 2021 is reasonable for his production. I suggest he is more valuable than $4 million in cap space.
Williams: He's only making minimum salary. No reason not to at least keep him through training camp.
Safeties: Brandon Jones is ready for a larger role next year and I would also take one early in this draft. McCain and Rowe were replacement level last season...if we're being charitable.
Wilson: The cap savings are more valuable than the player.
Grant: With the NFL effectively legislating kickoff returns out of the game, the cap savings are more valuable than the player.
Fejedelem: At this stage of our rebuild, we can't afford $2.5 million on a special teamer.
You are badly underestimating the safeties. How anyone can dump on Rowe I have no idea. He's tremendous value at his cost. Why, because Kelce and Waller had success on him? He was all over Waller who made incredible grabs on him. These TE's torch everyone in the NFL. We saw what life was like without McCain the moment he left the game against KC and Fej came in for him. Ouch. I'm on the fence on Wilson. If it means chasing Curtis Samuel as a replacement, I'm on board but again, this team cannot afford the luxury of cutting receivers without replacements on hand. Wilson is a very effective player in the slot.

Parker? Seriously? We’d only save $3m and take on $8m of dead cap. And we’re desperate for quality receivers.

Grant and Wilson combine to make $5.6m of cap space. McCain by himself frees up the same amount. Another $2.5m from Fejedelem. If they want to sign a big name receiver, pass rusher or Thuney, they could easily create the space.

i don’t think we need quantity, 1-2 quality guys on either side of the ball before the draft though would be game changing.
Free agency is going to be a game of musical chairs. When the music stops, there will be a lot of disappointed players with no teams left with cap money. That's when Miami should pounce on value deals. People look a some of these teams with more cap money than Miami and forget that those teams also have a lot of their own free agents to sign. Miami doesn't have that.

There is zero chance they go after Thuney. They are already paying one Guard $10 million this year. More likely they might find a value RT on the market and slide Hunt in to Guard and play Kindley on the other side with Flowers a bench option. Then Flowers gets cut next offseason with no penalty.

I don't know that Wilson is an obvious cut. He is a pretty good RAC guy, with blazing speed. Isn't that exactly what many are asking for?

Injury concerns are valid, but I think you have to bring him into camp, and take a look. Also, cutting him doesn't really save that much. Unless you can field 5 or 6 guys who are unquestionably better, you can't get a comparable player for less money.
I agree for all the reasons you noted. Also, it's not like we can cut all our WRs. If anything, weren't we just taught you need good depth? Wilson, Grant, and Williams are cheap right now. Let's add 2-3 and see where it goes. if anything, Bowden and Perry may be cuts. I don't to hear about Bowden. A month ago I said he's just not "twitchy" or sudden. And now you hear the Dolphins need twitchy WRs.

I don't know that Wilson is an obvious cut. He is a pretty good RAC guy, with blazing speed. Isn't that exactly what many are asking for?

Injury concerns are valid, but I think you have to bring him into camp, and take a look. Also, cutting him doesn't really save that much. Unless you can field 5 or 6 guys who are unquestionably better, you can't get a comparable player for less money.
Absolutely agree. The grass is always greener in some fan's eyes but it's just not reality. You need a viable upgrade to even consider this. His contract is not too heavy. Don't cut one player to address a need somewhere else and create another one in the process. They won't do that. That said, I like Samuel a lot from Carolina. I think he has more versatility and is at a great age. Cost will be interesting.

I agree for all the reasons you noted. Also, it's not like we can cut all our WRs. If anything, weren't we just taught you need good depth? Wilson, Grant, and Williams are cheap right now. Let's add 2-3 and see where it goes. if anything, Bowden and Perry may be cuts. I don't to hear about Bowden. A month ago I said he's just not "twitchy" or sudden. And now you hear the Dolphins need twitchy WRs.
Well, as I've pointed out before, there are only so many roster spots available for recievers (6-7).

You have to cut somebody, technically, under contract already. Every add = another cut.

DVP, PW, 2 adds only leaves two open spots.

I'm thinking Bowden sticks, so one more spot.

Perry, if they keep him at all, is PS material.

Wilson counts for $5.2 million of next season's cap. Wilson averaged 35 catches and 371 yards during his first two seasons here and opted out last season.

Grant counts for $4.7 million of next season's cap. His "career" season last year was 36 catches and 373 yards.

We need to add a top WR in free agency and another in the first two rounds of the draft (if not with our first pick). Wilson and Grant will, at best, be WR4 and WR5 in the offense. And especially in a tight cap year, you can't spend $5M on those roles.

Absolutely agree. The grass is always greener in some fan's eyes but it's just not reality. You need a viable upgrade to even consider this. His contract is not too heavy. Don't cut one player to address a need somewhere else and create another one in the process. They won't do that. That said, I like Samuel a lot from Carolina. I think he has more versatility and is at a great age. Cost will be interesting.

Yup. There are too many who think a player should be top 10 or cut him loose. No thought of the cost to move on from Williams to THill (I made that up). No thought of the ramifications of 'get a rookie and save $2mm.' No interest/concern over how much Flo thinks of the guy.

There are few guys to cut and save much money. There are guys (e.g., Wilson) who can't be cut til a replacement is signed. No replacement? He stays. Someone has said elsewhere, after the 1st wave of FA signings, there will be a lot of players adjusting their demands. That's when availability and thoughts of cuts will ramp up

Wilson counts for $5.2 million of next season's cap. Wilson averaged 35 catches and 371 yards during his first two seasons here and opted out last season.

Grant counts for $4.7 million of next season's cap. His "career" season last year was 36 catches and 373 yards.

We need to add a top WR in free agency and another in the first two rounds of the draft (if not with our first pick). Wilson and Grant will, at best, be WR4 and WR5 in the offense. And especially in a tight cap year, you can't spend $5M on those roles.
You aren't wrong about what they would count to keep, but that's not the same thing as what you save by cutting.

Subtract the gaurantee (dead money) from Wilson's contract. You are going to replace his skills and experience for that? I doubt it.

Now, if you just don't like him, and have a specific move in mind, that's different. Your actual rationalization is weak at best.

Last edited:
Wouldn’t cut Parker. Williams is in his final year on a UDFA contract and doesn’t save us much, so no need to cut him. Godchaux is already a FA. As is Breida.

Grant is cut.
McCain is cut.
Wilson is cut.
Hurns is cut.
Resign Ogbah to a new deal, lessen his cap hit this year.

The only moves I’d make. Could save $15-20 million
I think you are correct with Grant Wilson and Hurns. I am not sure about McCain

It is easy to just average out Wilson for generic numbers but anyone who watched this guy play for the Chiefs and here when healthy knows he is much better than those numbers. He started to come back to form in late 2019 as well. In his limited time here he has 5 tds and another one passing. The guy is a play maker when healthy and his cost is well worth what he brings to the table.

Back
Top Bottom