Who to cut for cap room | Page 14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who to cut for cap room

Cant we just trade dvp
Trading him is probably not off the table but what, exactly, do you think you could get, under the circumstances?

With cap money being so tight league wide, why would a team take the contract, even if there were no compensation? You would most likely have to throw in a day two pick just to get any interest.

IF we cut all those WR's we only have Parker,Williams,Grant,Bowden under contract.

Ford who disapointed late in the season with drops is a free agent. Hollins who also played mediocre other then the ARZ game and that Raiders catch is also a free agent.

I would keep both Hurns and Wilson until the draft and maybe try and trade one of them for a late pick in 2022 if that doesn't happen I would then look at cutting one of them

IF we cut all those WR's we only have Parker,Williams,Grant,Bowden under contract.

Ford who disapointed late in the season with drops is a free agent. Hollins who also played mediocre other then the ARZ game and that Raiders catch is also a free agent.

I would keep both Hurns and Wilson until the draft and maybe try and trade one of them for a late pick in 2022 if that doesn't happen I would then look at cutting one of them
Its quite possible Miami keeps Hurns and Wilson around until after the draft. But if they sign someone during F/A, its likely at the expense of one or both.

"Raiders catch" are you talking about Bowden I thought his contract runs through 2024

Its quite possible Miami keeps Hurns and Wilson around until after the draft. But if they sign someone during F/A, its likely at the expense of one or both.
Unless they are trying to do the player a favor, it makes little sense to cut any of them before the end of TC.

There is a remote possibility that Grier could wizard up a trade for guys like Hurns, Grant or Wilson, even if it was only to get out from under the dead money.

You aren't wrong about what they would count to keep, but that's not the same thing as what you save by cutting.

Subtract the gaurantee (dead money) from Wilson's contract. You are going to replace his skills and experience for that? I doubt it.

Now, if you just don't like him, and have a specific move in mind, that's different. Your actual rationalization is weak at best.
The cap savings from cutting Wilson are $2.85 million. The cap number for the #8 pick (assuming trade down with Carolina so they can grab their QB and we can take either Chase or Smith) is $2.68 million.

I'm making that move 1,000 times out of 100. And so are you.

The cap savings from cutting Wilson are $2.85 million. The cap number for the #8 pick (assuming trade down with Carolina so they can grab their QB and we can take either Chase or Smith) is $2.68 million.

I'm making that move 1,000 times out of 100. And so are you.
You are assuming it's a one or the other situation. It isn't. There will be a minimum of 6 WRs.

If you can replace Wilson's skillset for 2.85, go for it. I seriously doubt you can.

If, at the end of camp, you have six guys better, or even a young guy that has the same speed with upside, cut him as well.

I think you are really oversimplifying the situation. Maybe dislike for the player on a personal level is clouding the judgement, I have no idea.

What I do know is there is no reason to cut him for cap space at this time, without seeing a better player in camp.

Sure, you can draft 5 WRs if you like. How many are ready to go day 1?

The Miami beat writers are speculating the usual suspects are going to get jettisoned to create some cap room. Wilson, Grant, Hurns and Feje. But the issue at hand is, who to restructure? Miami in the past has always restructured contracts. But the downside is they come back to haunt teams, in the future.

Byron Jones would the only guy I'd approach. But they have more options, if they choose. It be better served to keep the status quo, because most of those contracts signed in 2020 are cuttable after 2021. It keeps financial flexibility in Miami's favor. Especially if those players start to under perform.

Grier has himself huge decisions to make, due to the cap reduction. But there are some things he can do, others may not be as wise. Lets hope for the best.

It was Hollins who caught the pass from Fitzpatrick when the qb was getting facemasked.
It makes sense now I thought he was meaning ex Raider player that's what confused me about "raider catch". Thanks for the clarification.

If you can replace Wilson's skillset for 2.85, go for it. I seriously doubt you can.

My receiver room for next year:

#1: top-tier free agent (in our cap space)
#2: DeVante Parker
#3: whichever of DeVonta Smith or Ja'Maar Chase is on the board when we trade down from our first pick (in Albert Wilson's cap savings slot)
#4: Preston Williams
#5: Lynn Bowden Jr.
#6: Allen Hurns vs. minimum salary free agents at training camp

If MIami is going to be as strapped for cash as everybody keeps saying how could they even consider trying to add Watson, who I think is scheduled to make $35 million in 2022.

Back
Top Bottom