Who to draft? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who to draft?

Fins should draft @ 3?

• Total voters
The question is do you need your OL to be Elite?

I would prefer a B+ OL paired with more talent at WR/RB than an A+ Ol with lesser talent at the skill positions.

I think Tua is going to be really good, but I am not sure he will elevate the skill guys around him.
I think we can do both, in time. I’d rather trade down no further than eight and take Smith, Chase, Waddle, Pitts. If we can’t trade down I go Sewell.

I think we can do both, in time. I’d rather trade down no further than eight and take Smith, Chase, Waddle, Pitts. If we can’t trade down I go Sewell.
Pretty much exactly how I feel.

We need a few teams to really want a QB at #3.

Sewell is more risk thank Smith IMO. He has a higher chance at being a bust than Smith. Plus we don’t even need a LT. I don't even think there is much debate here, but hey it’s Finheaven.

Sewell is more risk thank Smith IMO. He has a higher chance at being a bust than Smith. Plus we don’t even need a LT. I don't even think there is much debate here, but hey it’s Finheaven.
How is Sewell more of a risk?

Sewell only makes our line elite if LG and C are also elite. The quality of the OL is dependent on the weakest link. Sewell obviously makes our OL stronger but elite will depend on more than just him. WR is a more individual position. An individual receiver can take over a game as we saw with Parker and Gesicki in stretches. Unfortunately, those stretches weren't frequent or long enough.
And if your QB doesn't have time to throw (and Tua rarely had time) it doesn't matter who your WRs are. For another QB, an elite OL might be luxury...for Tua, its an absolute necessity.

OK, question then. Leatherwood - is he a tackle or a guard, and is he worth the 18th pick?

Good news. I don’t think we can go wrong at #3 with either of the players above.

Generally speaking, I’m all for trading down. I love the concept of getting surplus draft capital for moving a couple of spots around what is essentially a lottery.

However, in this draft particular, I think we need to place a focus on getting blue chip playmakers. Trading down is a great way to lay the foundation and build the middle class of your roster. I think Grier and Co. have accomplished this over the last couple of offseasons - Wilkins, Kindley, Hunt, AJ, Bowden, Gaskins, AVG, etc.

What Miami needs now is true blue chip difference makers. That can be a blue chip LT or a blue chip WR, but we need to put a focus those true elite players this time around.

The question is do you need your OL to be Elite?

I would prefer a B+ OL paired with more talent at WR/RB than an A+ Ol with lesser talent at the skill positions.

I think Tua is going to be really good, but I am not sure he will elevate the skill guys around him.

He did elevate the talent around him in the Chiefs, Bengals, and Pats game, but a good QB can do so much, if receivers are running wrong routes, not getting open, or dropping passes.

I agree with the rest though, we need special skill guys to make that big move up.

He did elevate the talent around him in the Chiefs, Bengals, and Pats game, but a good QB can do so much, if receivers are running wrong routes, not getting open, or dropping passes.

I agree with the rest though, we need special skill guys to make that big move up.
I agree. I think he already has elevated the talent around him.

But IMO there are two things Tua needs for success. He needs skill players who can do their job, but he also needs adequate preparation (at least until his experience level increases). I see that as the difference in the games he played well in vs. the ones he struggled in. Gailey even admitted that he had thrown out his notes on DCs when he retired so he had to rely on his assistants opinions about what to expect from the defenses. Tua is a fast learner. As Dilfer called him, "a one rep guy", but he needs to have seen something to learn it. Otherwise you'll see that hesitation and lack of shots that we saw in some games. Eventually, (usually after about 3 starting seasons) a QB has seen most things or something close enough so they can draw on their own experience.

So, yes improving what was often the worst skill position support in the league is a huge key, but the OC we bring in will have a huge impact as well.

I agree. I think he already has elevated the talent around him.

But IMO there are two things Tua needs for success. He needs skill players who can do their job, but he also needs adequate preparation (at least until his experience level increases). I see that as the difference in the games he played well in vs. the ones he struggled in. Gailey even admitted that he had thrown out his notes on DCs when he retired so he had to rely on his assistants opinions about what to expect from the defenses. Tua is a fast learner. As Dilfer called him, "a one rep guy", but he needs to have seen something to learn it. Otherwise you'll see that hesitation and lack of shots that we saw in some games. Eventually, (usually after about 3 starting seasons) a QB has seen most things or something close enough so they can draw on their own experience.

So, yes improving what was often the worst skill position support in the league is a huge key, but the OC we bring in will have a huge impact as well.

Yes, that's very true, and extremely important. I hope Miami does not take the any old talented O-coordinator will do route, he needs to show he can help Tua progress, and is willing to work with him.

It all starts with Tua, help Tua succeed, and the running game, passing game, and even the blocking will improve.

People talking like our oline was so bad, we started three rookies and they did pretty well. Oline isn't the issue and yes I think it can be improved but we have little to no skill on the offensive side. Every NFL game I watch receivers are making amazing catches, contested catches and awkward body position catches.....helping out their QB's, keeping drives alive. I watch our beloved Dolphins and if the pass isn't perfect it's not caught and even when it's perfect it's still sometimes not caught. We need a serious upgrade in the skill level on offense, multiple players that can make plays. Smith, Pitts and Harris would make an incredible start to a highly skilled offense.

In the AFC you have to score to beat the Bills and Chiefs. Who is going to be more impact scoring Sewell or Smith?

• Love
Reactions: Jed
How is Sewell more of a risk?
Lots of “can’t miss” OL prospects are busts. We actually have one on our team in Erek Flowers.
Sewell also has only played 1.5 years of college ball and will go 1.5 years without playing in a game before he takes the field in the NFL. Sewell isn’t a sure thing.

Back
Top Bottom