Who was the greatest TC hero? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who was the greatest TC hero?

phinfan2003

Perennial All-Pro
Reaction score
OK this should be fun. I want people to make a list of the players who were being praised by coaches and the media for their performance in TC but never amounted to anything when the season rolled around maybe even got cut before the season stated. My greatest TC hero was WR Brian Manning! JJ spoke about this guy starting because of all that he was doing in TC and then when the season rolled around, he disappeared. I know that he was a low round draft choice but with all the talk about him coming out of TC, he was the quintessential practice hero.

Kendall Newson. But to be fair, he suffered a terrible injury.

Derrius Thompson was the greatest thing since slice bread his 1st mini camp with us.

Rob Konrad was always a beast (never panned out because of being uninvolved in the offense/injured)

Last year Greg Jermaine was a dominant RG during mini camp.

Charles Rodgers was our ST savior.

I'd say WRs Larry Shannon and Robert Baker...years of good camps with a lot of talk about them but never worked out during the season

Travis Minor. well come to think of it, almost all our RB's before the Ricky saga.

I gotta go with Larry Shannon. Didn't JJ say he'd be as good as Randy Moss, or something like that?

I'm also mentioning the immortal Brent Smith, who was penciled in at LT every year and suffered a season-ending injury every year in camp. Just uncanny. And somehow, he got a rep as a solid tackle.

Robert Baker was my vote.

Great great call on the Brent Smith. I have absoultely no idea how he was ever considered to be a solid LT or our future there. The guy never showed anything besides injuries!

WR - Charles Jordan. All World TC - goes into season as #1 receiver - disappears.

How about Billy Milner. He played, even started I think, but he was horrible when the season got rolling. Didn't we trade him for a cheese pizza?

Phinadict said:
How about Billy Milner. He played, even started I think, but he was horrible when the season got rolling. Didn't we trade him for a cheese pizza?

Don't be ridiculous...

It was a pepperoni pizza

Milner traded to St. Louis for Troy Drayton.

That was back in the days before there were many internet Phin sites and I never heard much about him being a TC star.

I'll go way back, per usual. One year, I think '82, we had a fast, narrow framed LB named Charles Bowser who made tons of sacks and big plays off the edge in preseason. He was relatively unheralded out of college, maybe 4th or 5th round. I know he played for several years but never came close to the dominance he showed in those rookie exhibition games.

Robert Baker. Great call Vesk...always making plays in TC, never making the team.

Also, great was Charles Jordan. Pulling his groin repeatedly.

My vote is for CB Ray Green. The last few years, he has had several multiple INT practices...until the pads went on.

Scott Secules. He was on our team for like 15 years and never made a play during the regular season. He was a training camp wonder from what I remember.

He must of had naked pictures of someone important to stay on the team that long.

Fred Russell of last year seems to fit the bill. He was being talked up on this board as Ricky's replacement, seemed like everyone wanted him to succeed.. then cut.

And my vote for shortest tenure as TC hero goes to Mitch Meeuwesen: a safety UDFA who many thought would make the team, cut immediately after rookie minicamp.

Back
Top Bottom