Who was the last rookie QB who tore up the league | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who was the last rookie QB who tore up the league

How did Peyton Manning’s first season go?
Peyton had elite written over him for a long time. I really want to stay away from feeding posters an explanation that will lead to a Tua discussion. But being objectively here, not many qbs taken in the first round end up being successful.

Less than half qbs picked in the first round ever make 4k and 24 touchdowns in any given season. What drives this number is crappy teams but also talent as well. Carson Palmer played for crappy teams with good receivers and he has a very respectable record.

The last one, Herbert, lol. Dumb question considering we passed on the very kid one pick prior. Way to rub salt in the wound OP.

The last one, Herbert, lol. Dumb question considering we passed on the very kid one pick prior. Way to rub salt in the wound OP.
If the stat above is any helpful. He threw over 24 tds, and over 4k. That already puts him in the minority of successful qbs drafted in the first round.

Probably Andrew Luck. Passed for over 4300 yards, scored almost 30 combined TD's and led the Colts to an 11-5 record.

Before that Cam Newton. Passed for 4000 yards and scored a combined 35 TD's. Passed for 420+ yards in his first start which was an NFL record and is the only rookie QB in NFL history to pass for 400 yards in their first start. The next week in his second career start he passed for over 430 yards and broke his own record.

Herbert's rookie season is right up there with those two. He essentially passed for over 300 yards in 8 of his 15 games. But no 400 yard games.

In a tier below that are probably the rookie seasons Baker Mayfield, Marcus Mariota, Robert Griffin, Rick Mirer & Peyton Manning had in terms of statistical seasons.

Your bias is showing again. Baker Mayfield broke the rookie record for TD passes and now they are in the divisional rounds of the playoffs. But those cam Newton goal line carries though.... So impressive. *cough Tim Tebow cough*

I’m not an authority on evaluating talent but I did watch the big 3’s 2020 highlight reels. And what I took away from it is this.

Burrow seemed to have the best pass protection on the plays that I saw. Not by a big margin over Herbert but by a noticeable margin. He made great throws into tight coverage. But not high risk throws. He throws well on the run. He moved well when he tucks the ball and runs.

Herbert has quite a few big plays to wide open receivers. Like blown coverage open. Basically, his receivers really know how to get open or it’s just a great scheme. He has good pass protection. He can wait for routes to develop. Also, he is also good at extending plays with his feet and throwing on the run when protection breaks down. He makes a lot of dangerous throws. But, his receivers do an excellent job of going to get the ball and winning those 50/50 balls. Cannon for an arm.

Tua. First thing I noticed was that his highlight reel was short. But what really stood out to me was how much duress he was under this season. Especially after watching the other two highlight reels. The other thought that came to mind after watching the other two Qbs was how many times I saw Tua make a great throw down field only to see the receiver drop the ball or make a worse play and cause a pick. His highlight reel could have been a little longer. His accuracy is definitely his strong suit. I was impressed with his ability to get the ball out quickly. I feel like he sometimes ran into trouble while running away from trouble and still managed to make a positive play. Which made me think that he might have been getting bad information. I feel like at the end of the season he was trying to sit in the pocket rather than run and it cost him.

Overall I think that they all look solid. I actually think Burrow was the most impressive.

Herbert obviously looks great. But I do wonder if he could turn into Drew Bledsoe when/if he gets into a game where he’s constantly pressured. He seems to hold out for the big play a lot. He shows a lot of confidence in his line at times. That could cost him in the future.

Tua needs better line play. Better receivers. And a better scheme. With none of those things I think he looked good. It’s not hard to imagine Tua looking great with a little help. Also, it bugs me that he’s stuck with that 181 yards per game. It was 200. The Jets game shouldn’t count. And 181 looks way worse. Lol

I’m not an authority on evaluating talent but I did watch the big 3’s 2020 highlight reels. And what I took away from it is this.

Burrow seemed to have the best pass protection on the plays that I saw. Not by a big margin over Herbert but by a noticeable margin. He made great throws into tight coverage. But not high risk throws. He throws well on the run. He moved well when he tucks the ball and runs.

Herbert has quite a few big plays to wide open receivers. Like blown coverage open. Basically, his receivers really know how to get open or it’s just a great scheme. He has good pass protection. He can wait for routes to develop. Also, he is also good at extending plays with his feet and throwing on the run when protection breaks down. He makes a lot of dangerous throws. But, his receivers do an excellent job of going to get the ball and winning those 50/50 balls. Cannon for an arm.

Tua. First thing I noticed was that his highlight reel was short. But what really stood out to me was how much duress he was under this season. Especially after watching the other two highlight reels. The other thought that came to mind after watching the other two Qbs was how many times I saw Tua make a great throw down field only to see the receiver drop the ball or make a worse play and cause a pick. His highlight reel could have been a little longer. His accuracy is definitely his strong suit. I was impressed with his ability to get the ball out quickly. I feel like he sometimes ran into trouble while running away from trouble and still managed to make a positive play. Which made me think that he might have been getting bad information. I feel like at the end of the season he was trying to sit in the pocket rather than run and it cost him.

Overall I think that they all look solid. I actually think Burrow was the most impressive.

Herbert obviously looks great. But I do wonder if he could turn into Drew Bledsoe when/if he gets into a game where he’s constantly pressured. He seems to hold out for the big play a lot. He shows a lot of confidence in his line at times. That could cost him in the future.

Tua needs better line play. Better receivers. And a better scheme. With none of those things I think he looked good. It’s not hard to imagine Tua looking great with a little help. Also, it bugs me that he’s stuck with that 181 yards per game. It was 200. The Jets game shouldn’t count. And 181 looks way worse. Lol
Burrow had the worst OL in the league.

Burrow had the worst OL in the league.

The looked pretty good for 9 minutes here. They even get a great push on the Qb sneaks.

Edit: You are right though. Offensive line ranks. Miami 28, Bengals 30 and Chargers 32. On Pff anyway. I just watched the videos and said what I felt about the plays that I watched. I’m not an analyst. By comparison this is Tua’s video. I just feel like Borrow has more of an actual pocket. And a little bit more time. One more second is all it takes.

Last edited:
Peyton had elite written over him for a long time. I really want to stay away from feeding posters an explanation that will lead to a Tua discussion. But being objectively here, not many qbs taken in the first round end up being successful.
We aren’t talking about Tua, how did Peyton Manning’s rookie season go?

The looked pretty good for 9 minutes here. They even get a great push on the Qb sneaks.

Edit: You are right though. Offensive line ranks. Miami 28, Bengals 30 and Chargers 32. On Pff anyway. I just watched the videos and said what I felt about the plays that I watched. I’m not an analyst. By comparison this is Tua’s video. I just feel like Borrow has more of an actual pocket. And a little bit more time. One more second is all it takes.

Well, you're watching highlight reels. Intrinsically, they're going to have better protection, because all QBs need it. I actually watched some Bengals games

Back
Top Bottom