Who was the last rookie QB who tore up the league | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who was the last rookie QB who tore up the league

Well, you're watching highlight reels. Intrinsically, they're going to have better protection, because all QBs need it. I actually watched some Bengals games
I totally get that. It just seemed to me that right out of the gate Tua is evading pass rushers almost instantly in his highlight reel. Which made Burrow and Herbert’s pass protection look so good.

I didn’t really notice during the season because I was just glad that Tua got the ball off. But seeing it in sequence like that just magnifies the problem. It also makes me question if he was being told to stay in the pocket later in the season when he wasn’t making as many of those plays.

“Tore up the league”? What exactly does that mean? Statistically? To me the most important stat is wins.

I’m surprised I didn’t see Ben Roethlisberger’s name mentioned in the six pages that I scanned through. Maybe I missed it. Or maybe it’s cuz LATELY Ben has played like trash so nobody mentioned him.

But the Steelers went 15-1 that season with Ben at the helm (mostly). It probably just gets overlooked because he only had 17 TDs/11 interceptions. It was obvious early on that Ben was gonna be a winner and 17 years, 3 super bowl appearances and 2 Lombardi trophies later, you can’t really argue with his success.

I remember earlier this year Tua had a chance to break Ben’s record for most consecutive wins by a rookie QB. Ever since he fell short of that feat, I’ve had some doubts. Stats don’t mean **** if u cant find a way to win as a QB. The Denver game this season is where the potential cracks with Tua started to show.

“Tore up the league”? What exactly does that mean? Statistically? To me the most important stat is wins.

I’m surprised I didn’t see Ben Roethlisberger’s name mentioned in the six pages that I scanned through. Maybe I missed it. Or maybe it’s cuz LATELY Ben has played like trash so nobody mentioned him.

But the Steelers went 15-1 that season with Ben at the helm (mostly). It probably just gets overlooked because he only had 17 TDs/11 interceptions. It was obvious early on that Ben was gonna be a winner and 17 years, 3 super bowl appearances and 2 Lombardi trophies later, you can’t really argue with his success.

I remember earlier this year Tua had a chance to break Ben’s record for most consecutive wins by a rookie QB. Ever since he fell short of that feat, I’ve had some doubts. Stats don’t mean **** if u cant find a way to win as a QB. The Denver game this season is where the potential cracks with Tua started to show.

Well the Steelers and the Dolphins both had a really good defense in each QB's respective rookie year (#1 steelers and #6 Dolphins) the Steelers also had the #2 run game in the NFL while the Dolphins ranked 22nd. I'm 100% positive if the Dolphins had a top 3 run game we win at least 2-3 more games this year.

I’m not an authority on evaluating talent but I did watch the big 3’s 2020 highlight reels. And what I took away from it is this.

Burrow seemed to have the best pass protection on the plays that I saw. Not by a big margin over Herbert but by a noticeable margin. He made great throws into tight coverage. But not high risk throws. He throws well on the run. He moved well when he tucks the ball and runs.

Herbert has quite a few big plays to wide open receivers. Like blown coverage open. Basically, his receivers really know how to get open or it’s just a great scheme. He has good pass protection. He can wait for routes to develop. Also, he is also good at extending plays with his feet and throwing on the run when protection breaks down. He makes a lot of dangerous throws. But, his receivers do an excellent job of going to get the ball and winning those 50/50 balls. Cannon for an arm.

Tua. First thing I noticed was that his highlight reel was short. But what really stood out to me was how much duress he was under this season. Especially after watching the other two highlight reels. The other thought that came to mind after watching the other two Qbs was how many times I saw Tua make a great throw down field only to see the receiver drop the ball or make a worse play and cause a pick. His highlight reel could have been a little longer. His accuracy is definitely his strong suit. I was impressed with his ability to get the ball out quickly. I feel like he sometimes ran into trouble while running away from trouble and still managed to make a positive play. Which made me think that he might have been getting bad information. I feel like at the end of the season he was trying to sit in the pocket rather than run and it cost him.

Overall I think that they all look solid. I actually think Burrow was the most impressive.

Herbert obviously looks great. But I do wonder if he could turn into Drew Bledsoe when/if he gets into a game where he’s constantly pressured. He seems to hold out for the big play a lot. He shows a lot of confidence in his line at times. That could cost him in the future.

Tua needs better line play. Better receivers. And a better scheme. With none of those things I think he looked good. It’s not hard to imagine Tua looking great with a little help. Also, it bugs me that he’s stuck with that 181 yards per game. It was 200. The Jets game shouldn’t count. And 181 looks way worse. Lol

As already stated, the Bengals did their young QB no favors this season in concerns to pass protection.

Maybe watching actual games and not highlights or reading headlines lead to better informed opinion?

I think some people - fans and experts like Chris Simms - are missing the point. Tua has had a good rookie season - he had 6 good games to 3 bad games. Just when compared to Herbert and to a lesser extent Burrows, he did not look as good as them. But nothing on his performance alone can say whether he will develop into a great player or not. He already looked good most times than not - look at every throw in every game and you will come to that conclusion, do not look at just a couple of games. Not one loss in games Tua started - Denver, KC or Buffalo - was lost because of him. In Denver game, their running game and even Lock moved the ball at ease on us, in fact, we played flat in that game. KC is KC even though Tua looked very good in that one in trying to come back with his top skill players missing in the second half. The Buffalo game, the whole (Dolphins) team did not put up a fight. One more thing about Herbert, he lost 2-3 games including the Raiders game I think where he had chances at the end of the game to punch in for a TD and he did not - the defense didn't lose those games for the Chargers. Only when Herbert scaled back to being conservative in the 5 games before the last game, did they start to win - went 3-2. His TD to Int in those 5 games? 6 TDs to 4 Int. In the Atlanta game, he looked as conservative with this throws as Tua did in some games. Only throw around 20 yard or more was the last throw that got them into FG range, everything else was short stuff the whole game.
You just said Tua had 6 good games to 3 bad games. Haha. Come on man. I'm guessing you consider his performance against New England good, right? Buffalo, right? At least be realistic. He was good for about 6 total halves this year. Cincinnati and KC were good halves. Blinders.. REALLY bad blinders. The kid showed flashes but saying he was in the area of Herbert is laughable.

You just said Tua had 6 good games to 3 bad games. Haha. Come on man. I'm guessing you consider his performance against New England good, right? Buffalo, right? At least be realistic. He was good for about 6 total halves this year. Cincinnati and KC were good halves. Blinders.. REALLY bad blinders. The kid showed flashes but saying he was in the area of Herbert is laughable.
If his performance against new England wasn't good, what would you call Herbert's?

As already stated, the Bengals did their young QB no favors this season in concerns to pass protection.

Maybe watching actual games and not highlights or reading headlines lead to better informed opinion?
Correct. Numbers clearly show Herbert was the least protected and not even close.

Tua lives rent free in your head.

If his performance against new England wasn't good, what would you call Herbert's?
That's your response? It's the NFL. Guys have bad weeks against different teams. We ran for 250 yards against the Patriots. We demoralized them.

Should I pull Herbert's stats vs. Denver, LV (TT got yanked against both), the Jets, the Chiefs?? I think I made my point.

I was simply stating Tua did not have six good games to three. That's just blind loyalty and lack of knowledge.

That's your response? It's the NFL. Guys have bad weeks against different teams. We ran for 250 yards against the Patriots. We demoralized them.

Should I pull Herbert's stats vs. Denver, LV (TT got yanked against both), the Jets, the Chiefs?? I think I made my point.

I was simply stating Tua did not have six good games to three. That's just blind loyalty and lack of knowledge.
Yes, give me Herbert's stats against the Jets. We can do a comparison with Tua who never played the Jets.

You sure do make a good point.

Yes, give me Herbert's stats against the Jets. We can do a comparison with Tua who never played the Jets.

You sure do make a good point.
You are correct, he did not. I got overzealous naming off every other team that Herbert was better against, I forgot Fitz got both of those games.

You're response is proof I made a good point. I noticed you had NOTHING to say about the other games. What about those?

You also come up with these wild stats about Tua leading the league in drops on deep balls, which is absolutely inaccurate. He didn't go deep enough to lead in this stat! This has been shown time and again. Tom Brady started 7 more games and has nearly 3x the dropped passes. Tua's bad ball % ranks as the 7th worst in the league, which means he throws nearly the most uncatchable balls in the league. He also has the lowest amount of throwaways. His deep ball is just not accurate. His on target percent ranks him 30th in the league. You showing one bad drop is not changing facts.

Back
Top Bottom