Who was the last rookie QB who tore up the league | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who was the last rookie QB who tore up the league

As already stated, the Bengals did their young QB no favors this season in concerns to pass protection.

Maybe watching actual games and not highlights or reading headlines lead to better informed opinion?

As stated, I’m not saying the Bengals are a league leader in pass protection. Just that there were a number of times where Burrow stepped back to throw and had time to complete a pass more often than Tua. I also said that there were times Tua had time to make some great throws where our receivers dropped the ball. Or the highlight reels could have looked much different. Maybe the receivers are the difference.

The stats do show that Burrow was sacked about once every 13 drop backs and Tua was sacked about once every 15 drop backs while Herbert was sacked about once every 20 drop backs. So by comparison Miami has a line that protects about as well or bad depending on how you look at it, as the Bengals. And the Bengals receivers looked much better than the Dolphins receivers. Outside of Gesicki. Even Parker and Williams made a few plays when they were healthy.

They didn't have Hopkins?

Weird.
I uhhh... What is the point of this comment? Both QBs that season had access to Hopkins. One piloted the worst offense and the other the best.

Guess which one was which.

Going on most of all the threads today..They say a top drafted QB should elevate their team up no matter the weapons...
thanks for playing...
I think people are conditioned to that thought process because that’s what they were told throughout the Tannehill years

Wins aren't a quarterback stat no matter how much ESPN wants you to believe it
I agree, people here think Tua was responsible for the teams record Lol. The defense and special teams had more of an impact in most of the games he started but they want to give Tua the credit. Its like saying, for example, a starting pitcher who finishes his season at 13-5 is a quality pitcher but the guy has an E.R.A of 4.50 and he was afforded 6.3 runs per game in each of his starts lol.

I think one common theme amongst successful rookie QBs is mobility. Wilson, Murray, Newton, Jackson, Watson, RGIII...all relied heavily on their legs early in their careers. Not too many players can dissect defenses from the pocket from day one.

For whatever reason Tua was not a mobile QB as a rookie. Whether it was self imposed or pushed by the coaching staff I don't know, but we only saw brief glimpses of what the kid could do with his feet. I can't say its a bad thing since it was a season going nowhere and if hes going to make it as a pro he will have to learn how to play from the pocket.

Back
Top Bottom