Who was the last..... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who was the last.....

phinfan2003

Perennial All-Pro
Reaction score
late round draft pick (5th round or later) to be an impact player for us? Off the top of my head, all I can think of is Zach Thomas in '96. I'm not talking about guys that are decent players (i.e. Yeremiah Bell). I'm talking about a player who has made a real impact. I started thinking about teams like the Saints who drafted Colston in the 7th and the Colts with Pierre Garcon last year and wondered about our team. Has it really been 14 years since we've drafted an impact player late in the draft or am I forgetting someone?

That's a very good point.
I guess other than Bell, the closest I could come up with is Brandon Fields, a seventh rounder in 07.

If he punts for us for the next 10 years, I guess that would count. But it's pretty sad you have to bank on a punter as your late-round steal.

Far cry from the days when Mark Clayton, Doug Betters, J.B. Brown and company were all late-round finds.

Donald Thomas and Lex Hilliard. I mean, they aren't on the level of impact that Colston and Garcon, yet at least. But they've done well.

Bell is a better player than J.B Brown ever was.

D.Thomas has a chance.
D.Bess went undrafted which is a steal
C. Clemons has some ptoential

Bess ranks #1. Hands down. D. Thomas #2.

What was the reason that Bess got over looked by so many teams? Oh and Bell is a real impact player! Without him in our secondary we would look even worse..

What was the reason that Bess got over looked by so many teams? Oh and Bell is a real impact player! Without him in our secondary we would look even worse..

Bess was undersized at 5'9 and ran i believe a 4.68 40.
also came from hawaii, a pass happy team.Alot of the time, recievers from teams such as these are overlooked.

The guy in your sig...i kno we didnt draft him, but san diego picked him up as an undrafted rookie...same for greg cam...bess...our pro bowl kicker DCarp.

I think a lot of guys being mentioned (bess, wake, and welker) are good players but none of them were drafted by us. As far as impact players we drafted in the later rounds, it seems like our best is Y Bell even though I'm not sure I would consider him an impact player.

you say you can count Garcon who had 1 years success with 765 yards in 15 games and 4 TDs playing for a pass happy colts offense, but you cant count Yeremiah Bell who has been a starter for multiple years and made the pro bowl as an alternate this year??

HUH??

you say you can count Garcon who had 1 years success with 765 yards in 15 games and 4 TDs playing for a pass happy colts offense, but you cant count Yeremiah Bell who has been a starter for multiple years and made the pro bowl as an alternate this year??

HUH??

Good point about Garcon. However, considering he was the 3rd option at best and still churned out 765 yards and 4 TD's (7 more yds and twice as many TD's as our "number 1" Wide receiver) as a rookie is pretty damn impressive. Couple that with his breakout performance in the playoffs and it's no secret why I'm high on him.

As for Bell, I just don't see him making big plays. He's a solid player and a solid tackler but I'm not wowed by him. Maybe it's our scheme or maybe I'm just being hard on him.

Back
Top Bottom