Who will be a bust | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who will be a bust

Stop focusing on the score board and actually watch him against top notch teams with defenses. It’s a very difference T.Lawrence.

Not to mention there’s enough there to start wondering if he had accuracy issues at the next level.
I did dude. I’m a Tar Heel fan and saw almost every game he played in the ACC. HE LOST A TOTAL OF TWO GAMES IN THREE YEARS. You’ve lost all cred with that post. Really uninformed.

I did dude. I’m a Tar Heel fan and saw almost every game he played in the ACC. HE LOST A TOTAL OF TWO GAMES IN THREE YEARS. You’ve lost all cred with that post. Really uninformed.
Then you saw how the Clemson offence was construed to misdirect the D to over react - and did Ds ever overreact it was anything Pro style and while the offence entirely conceived of misdirection and fooling the D works in College I just don’t think we saw Lawrence yet

He could be much better than what we saw in college with that calculated offence or in the PROs he could be another one read QB - running for chunk yards and based on the team he inherits he is going to be running a lot at the onset

Devonta Smith, unless he stays in one piece through his career, he will disappoint as he wont see the field every game. Yes, its the 6'1" frame on 170 pounds soaking wet that worries me.
Maybe, but there are several players that were roughly that size or smaller. Chad Johnson was 6-1 and admitted to playing most years in the 170s, Isaac Bruce, Marvin Harrison, Deshawn Jackson are players off the top of my head that played in the 170-180s. Smith will be 180 by the start of his 2nd year, if not before. His weight will not be an issue IMO. It's like Flo said, either they can play or they can't.

I don't think he'll be awful.. I just think he'll be a "Bust" when it comes to the high expectations..it's not even that he 'lost' against LSU and OSU..he was vastly outplayed in both games by the other QB's..Deshaun Watson never had that issue..even in a loss to Alabama one year in the Title Game..still looked like the best player and QB on the field, tbh.
Going to the jags might just make that an accurate statement. Look what Tannehill looked like when he finally got an OL.

Maybe, but there are several players that were roughly that size or smaller. Chad Johnson was 6-1 and admitted to playing most years in the 170s, Isaac Bruce, Marvin Harrison, Deshawn Jackson are players off the top of my head that played in the 170-180s. Smith will be 180 by the start of his 2nd year, if not before. His weight will not be an issue IMO. It's like Flo said, either they can play or they can't.
He can play, I wont doubt his ability, its impressive, I just dont think he will hold up in todays NFL.
Bruce was 6' - 188lbs
Harrison was 6' - 185lbs
Chad Johnson was 6'1" - 188lbs
Desean Jackson was 5'10" - 175lbs

Smith "says" he is 170 but wont weigh in. He is listed in PFF as 6'1" and 175.

I dont want to nitpick but the measurables say he is taller and weighs less than the guys you listed. I know they call him the "slim reaper" but i worry about his durability in the top level of football where every DB is as good or better than the ones he played against in college.

He can play, I wont doubt his ability, its impressive, I just dont think he will hold up in todays NFL.
Bruce was 6' - 188lbs
Harrison was 6' - 185lbs
Chad Johnson was 6'1" - 188lbs
Desean Jackson was 5'10" - 175lbs

Smith "says" he is 170 but wont weigh in. He is listed in PFF as 6'1" and 175.

I dont want to nitpick but the measurables say he is taller and weighs less than the guys you listed. I know they call him the "slim reaper" but i worry about his durability in the top level of football where every DB is as good or better than the ones he played against in college.
Facts.

Also..he will be the most "DENSE" WR in the NFL as soon as he steps cleat on the field..because he's got good height at 6'1"..but is only 170lbs if that..so yeah..if anything he'll likely lose weight when he trains and plays full-time in the NFL.

A high number of bust are either not a scheme fit or an injury bust. It's not usually lack of talent, although some of these player may prove not to have an NFL work ethic.

As to Miami, I thought Charles Harris should have been a 3-4 outside linebacker as he got blown off the line in the run game. So, I just don't think he was a scheme fit for Miami. Dion Jordan was a character/work ethic/injury miss.

Harris is the big miss for Grier since he has been Miami GM, but I believe the Dolphins have a much better plan now (idea) on what type of players they are looking for.

As to the players in this draft, I think so much depends on what team they go to. It's always challenging for those quarterbacks going early to bad teams, so that's probably the best place to start.

Then there are players who haven't really put it together yet at the college level like Oweh, whose tests numbers were elite. Does he have the work ethic, dedication etc. to turn that talent into production?

• “DeVonta Smith is one of the best football players I’ve ever seen,” said one GM. “I know he scares teams with his size [170 pounds], but his hands and his presence and how smart he plays . . . I think he’ll have an incredible career.”

IMO sleeping on Smith is a failure of logic. He is literally one of the best ever at the things that translate to NFL success.

• “DeVonta Smith is one of the best football players I’ve ever seen,” said one GM. “I know he scares teams with his size [170 pounds], but his hands and his presence and how smart he plays . . . I think he’ll have an incredible career.”

IMO sleeping on Smith is a failure of logic. He is literally one of the best ever at the things that translate to NFL success.

We'll see. I disagree. That's the beauty of all this...NO ONE KNOWS, for certain. :shrug:

Pro Bowl is half popularity, half NFL coach votes.

All pro is statically derived and voted on by NFL, not popularity related at all.

Just like how Kiko Alonso was leading LBs in pro bowl votes when he was traded to Saints. When your team is winning, every player gets PB votes, they have diluted meaning

Yes!

By diluting the vote that way they are supporting the teams by championing the winning teams, not necessarily the best players.

To me this is a statistical method devoid of actual player initiative and skill by itself. In other words, a selection to support the "common knowledge" of who is best, or in other words, a forgone popularity vote designed to support the "common knowledge" based on team stats. just to make some fans happy after their team didn't make it to the super bowl.

Bah Humbug - 11 more days until the draft begins.

I think I'll make it without having any biased player preferences, Just positional improvement in my mind.

InkedFabio-Bald.jpg

Sticks and Stones; let's revisit this post and thread in a few months. That’s all it’s going to take for Fabio to lose his hair..

Last edited:
The players with red flags according to the analytics models of Football Outsiders at RB, QB, WR and edge are WR Kadarius Toney, edge Rousseau and Joe Tryon, RBs Michael Carter and Javonte Williams, none of the top 5 QBs in particular. It'll be fun to follow up on that. If I don't forget completely pretty quick, of course.

Edit: btw, if Smith's weight were an issue I think it would pop up in analytics, but nothing of the sort. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Back
Top Bottom