Who won the draft? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who won the draft?

Okay, im not a huge fan of Tua and have big questions about his ability to be successful.

That said, you could have a LOT worse rookie year than he did.
True, which is why I have backed off of him a bit. I expected more than he gave. This season is where he can lower my eyebrow while looking at the games....

Tua wasn’t able to have a normal rookie season in any facet. Physically or mentally from beginning to end. Those are facts.

History has shown many quarterbacks that had worse rookie seasons than Tua win numerous super bowls and eventually land in the Hall of Fame. Those are facts.

History has also shown many quarterbacks have much better rookie seasons than Tua that ended up being career backups or out of the league entirely. Those are facts.

The reality is you just don’t know how any quarterback is going to turn out based off their rookie season. There’s just no way to draw any definitive conclusion.

If anything was able to be drawn, it should’ve been that Tua showed the ability to play in the NFL despite the unprecedented obstacles and lack of NFL caliber players around him. Also that he’s a relentless worker with extremely rare determination.

Nobody knows what the future holds for anybody, but history has shown you’re typically in good hands with a player that demonstrates Tua’s qualities.

Okay let's make this clear with Tua.

Is it factual to say there were times he clearly either didn't trust his eyes or receiving options? Yes

Is it factual to say there were times he needed to be quicker on throws? Yes

Is it factual to say that Tua was effected by having no real offseason coming off a very serious injury? Yes.

Is it factual to say for much of the last month of the season we had an awful WR room? Yes

It's fair to criticize Tua there were things he clearly has to work on, but if you are going to criticize him you also have to criticize Gailey (who I believe even as late in the season as December he still said he didn't know what plays Tua worked best with) and you also have to acknowledge that in December our receiving options at times were 3rd and 4th string guys.

Getting Will Fuller, Jaylen Waddle, Malcolm Brown, Hunter Long, and even a guy like Robert Foster should tell you that the team wasn't happy with the skills players

Okay let's make this clear with Tua.

Is it factual to say there were times he clearly either didn't trust his eyes or receiving options? Yes

Is it factual to say there were times he needed to be quicker on throws? Yes

Is it factual to say that Tua was effected by having no real offseason coming off a very serious injury? Yes.

Is it factual to say for much of the last month of the season we had an awful WR room? Yes

It's fair to criticize Tua there were things he clearly has to work on, but if you are going to criticize him you also have to criticize Gailey (who I believe even as late in the season as December he still said he didn't know what plays Tua worked best with) and you also have to acknowledge that in December our receiving options at times were 3rd and 4th string guys.

Getting Will Fuller, Jaylen Waddle, Malcolm Brown, Hunter Long, and even a guy like Robert Foster should tell you that the team wasn't happy with the skills players
I can't support criticizing Gailey.

His playbook was fine...for Fitzpatrick.

I point the finger at Flores. I think Tua should have been handled much in the same way the Chiefs handled Mahomes. Have Fitzpatrick ytake the team as far as it can go. When there's no tommorow then Tua can get in there and not feel like every throw had to be a completion because the playoffs were on the line...which it was.

Tua wasn’t able to have a normal rookie season in any facet. Physically or mentally from beginning to end. Those are facts.

History has shown many quarterbacks that had worse rookie seasons than Tua win numerous super bowls and eventually land in the Hall of Fame. Those are facts.

History has also shown many quarterbacks have much better rookie seasons than Tua that ended up being career backups or out of the league entirely. Those are facts.

The reality is you just don’t know how any quarterback is going to turn out based off their rookie season. There’s just no way to draw any definitive conclusion.

If anything was able to be drawn, it should’ve been that Tua showed the ability to play in the NFL despite the unprecedented obstacles and lack of NFL caliber players around him. Also that he’s a relentless worker with extremely rare determination.

Nobody knows what the future holds for anybody, but history has shown you’re typically in good hands with a player that demonstrates Tua’s qualities.
All valid points except:

The reality is you just don’t know how any quarterback is going to turn out based off their rookie season. There’s just no way to draw any definitive conclusion. **** see Dan Marino! :)

It was like the offense had a split personality. One for Fitzpatrick and another for Tua. Can't blame it all on Tua, there are other people to blame as well. But imho, Tua did what he could, under such circumstances unseen before. Fitzpatrick on the other hand, as a seasoned vet and familiar with the playbook, played much better. Time will eventually tell, where Tua falls in the history books as an NFL QB.

I try and be understanding of coaches like Gailey because frankly they know more football than anybody here.

I think sometimes we talk about the effect of not having an off season for Tua but then we also don't really know or identify where the rubber meets the road on that.

And I think Tua himself gave us a glimpse when he sparked controversy by accepting blame for not knowing the playbook as well as he should have. That response initially came to a question about chemistry with receivers. He was saying that he wanted to have the ability to signal his receivers and change bad plays when he knew the play as called wasn't going to work against the defensive configuration. But they just didn't have the shared language to do that, didn't have the thousands of practice reps needed to gain that shared experience you draw on in order to make those signals. You hear all the time in these legends of the game type of videos about how so-and-so QB gave his receiver a look before the play, and that receiver knew what he wanted and did it. Touchdown. That sort of **** happens in football but it's built on shared experience, practice reps. chemistry, full knowledge of all foundations of the playbook, the installation of signaling protocol...everything that frankly the Dolphins and Tua Tagovailoa didn't have a whole hell of a lot of time to try and do in 2020.

In typical Tua fashion he accepted the blame for all that and said it was him not knowing the playbook well enough. But it really wasn't.

Chicago did.

As I said before the draft, Justin Fields was the best QB of this draft class.

I didn't like Trevor Lawrence because of his lack of fire. The kid doesn't care as much as he should. He is not fanatical. That's enough for me to never draft the kid, I don't care how much talent he has.

I didn't like Trey Lance because I don't want running QB's, my QB should not be out there risking injury. I don't like his overall mindset as a QB.

I didn't like Mac Jones because, well, he's a solid fundamental player, who probably could be a career backup or low-end starter in the NFL. But a star he will not be. Obviously comes from loaded teams like Alabama.

But Justin Fields checked all the boxes. Great talent, incredible attitude, and has the inner fire. The kid will do great things in the NFL.

All I know is I am not looking at the same player when I watch Tua this TC / preseason vs. end of last year.

Definitely NOT the same dude. The current version is obviously bigger, faster, immensely more confident, far more in command, more lively arm, more aware, more communicative, just flat out BETTER across the board -- and in most instances way better.

We can debate the reasons why including the lunar cycle but all I care about is immediate gratification and so far Tua is looking like he can deliver. Now we have to hope for consistency. And sustained improvement / development.

I see know reason right now to have doubts. But of course it's still one game at a time.

Back
Top Bottom