Who Won the Tunsil, Tannehill & Fitzpatrick Trades? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who Won the Tunsil, Tannehill & Fitzpatrick Trades?

I wonder if the people here saying 'it was time for Tannehill to go' were also the ones trying to kick him out the door since his sophomore season. Otherwise, I don't understand the mindset of 'it's time to let a talented piece leave for next to nothing'...

I think by the time he left Miami even his most avid supporters could agree that he needed a different environment in which he could thrive. Its not that Miami couldn't have created this environment, but they were nowhere close to doing so. What would have been the point in paying a man 25 mil to get hammered behind mediocre offensive lines the past couple seasons?

Miami got fair value for how he was viewed at the time, as an overpaid backup. Tennessee got far more than they could have ever expected and are justifiably thrilled by the outcome. To me Miami is not a loser in this scenario even if Tennessee is the clear winner.

I think by the time he left Miami even his most avid supporters could agree that he needed a different environment in which he could thrive. Its not that Miami couldn't have created this environment, but they were nowhere close to doing so. What would have been the point in paying a man 25 mil to get hammered behind mediocre offensive lines the past couple seasons?

Miami got fair value for how he was viewed at the time, as an overpaid backup. Tennessee got far more than they could have ever expected and are justifiably thrilled by the outcome. To me Miami is not a loser in this scenario even if Tennessee is the clear winner.
Because finding an OL is surely easier than finding a QB of his caliber...

And I'd say we were close putting him in that environment

I think we just see the refusal to try him at his best position versatile or overrated not the main point
Many of us feel he would be a very good FS yet was never put there
Tome was like Ballage who played miserably being force fed instead of using a much better back in Drake
Mind boggling
Brought back memories of seeing Dallas Thomas bing trotted out there again and again when the whole world could see he was awful
I 100% agree we badly misused him, but I also think he’s very overrated. To me he’s a top half of the league safety, but I see rankings putting him top 5 or even #1 and I just don’t see it.

Tannehill: it was time for both sides to move on

Tunsil: best trade team has made in many years.

Minkah: Mama's baby didn't want to be here. Best thing was to move him.
i agree on all 3, i defended tannehill for years here but even i can admit it was time for both tanny and the team to split and go their seperate ways, im happy hesfinding success in tennessee, he was a class act his entire time here and gave it his all everytime out there even if the results werent what we had hoped theyd be

Agree 100% on the other 2 as well, we fleeced the texans badly and minkah wanted out, this team was trying to create a different culture and he wasnt willing to be a part of that

i
i

Minkah Fitzpatrick to Steelers

The date: Sept. 16, 2019

Steelers got: S Minkah Fitzpatrick, 2020 fourth-round pick, 2021 seventh-round pick
Dolphins got: 2020 first-round pick, 2020 fifth-round pick, 2021 sixth-round pick

Steelers draft picks became: OL Kevin Dotson, CB Tre Norwood
Dolphins draft picks became: T Austin Jackson, DL Jason Strowbridge, RB DeAndre Washington (as part of a pick swap)

At the time: This was a surprising one. Fitzpatrick started his 2020 season as a member of the Dolphins, where he was torched in the slot by Ravens speedster Marquise Brown before being benched. Two weeks later, with Steelers free safety Sean Davis done for the year, Pittsburgh sent a first-round pick to Miami to get Fitzpatrick. I didn't like this deal, especially since we knew Ben Roethlisberger was undergoing surgery. In what was likely to be a lost season for the Steelers, I thought Pittsburgh should have kept its first-round pick in case it was needed to replace Roethlisberger.

What happened: I was wrong. Fitzpatrick was transitioned out of the slot role he played with the Dolphins into a full-time free safety for the Steelers and made an immediate impact. By the end of the year, he had picked off five passes on the way to being named a first-team All-Pro. The Steelers still don't have a succession plan for the post-Roethlisberger era, but Fitzpatrick is a building block on one of the league's most talented defenses.

The Dolphins were tanking, but trading Fitzpatrick wasn't the same as trading Laremy Tunsil. Tunsil had run through three cost-controlled seasons and was already eligible for an extension. Fitzpatrick was entering his second cost-controlled year and still had two years left before the Dolphins even had to worry about considering a new deal. He would fit right in as the free safety on a team dedicated to building through its secondary. Jackson was raw as a rookie and still has plenty of time to develop at left tackle, but it would take a lot for him to catch up to Fitzpatrick, even with the extra year of cost control.

In hindsight: Win for Steelers
Well Minkah didn't wanted to play slot cb and multi formations so he had to go elsewhere

Back
Top Bottom