Who Would You Rather Have? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who Would You Rather Have?

You'd want to draft guys that high in the draft that have been ultra productive. I don't see that with either Sweat or Gary. The heart condition is something that would worry me, especially in the Florida heat. Sweat as much as he blew up the Senior Bowl Practices, leaves a little bit of a question mark, as to why he wasn't more productive on the field? Gary as athletic as he seems to be, why wasn't he more productive? Scheme at Michigan or not. Question is; does he become more productive in the NFL. That's the proverbial question, Miami needs to answer!!
I don’t think productions is a question mark for Sweat his last 2 seasons he had 22.5 sacks (10 sack season and 12.5 sack season). That’s great production in the SEC. Rashaan Gary is the one with the big production question marks. It’s definitely an interesting debate. And I think in this scenario a trade back could be even more likely

I will preface my comments with a note that I have watched all of Rashan Gary's games and very few of Sweat's.

If Sweat's heart condition is something minor (like a PFO) then I wouldn't hesitate to draft him since that is easily repaired. I had one since birth but it was only discovered in my late 40's when I had a minor stroke because of it. In short, it is a hole between the chambers in the heart that allows oxygenated blood to mix with the non-oxygenated. Mine allowed a small blood clot to pass through it and it caused a minor stroke. They went through my femoral artery and closed the hole so I should be good to go from here on out.

As far as Gary goes, he was not utilized properly by Harbaugh so his numbers don't jump off the page. But he more than passes the eye test. He is a freakish athlete and I would think that they could mix and match his alignment based on down and yardage to take advantage of his tools.

But, to be 100% honest, I would rather see a trade down for additional picks than either one of these guys. There are so many holes to fill that this year's draft, as it stands right now, will not address more than a couple of them. The team needs players that are at least capable of competing for backup spots, not ST players that will never see the field otherwise.
Thanks for sharing. Glad you are doing well.

I haven't seen a lot of either, but they both jump off the page in highlights. Sweat reminds of Jason Taylor. Gary has more size and, like you noted, more versatility. I think Flores would prefer that. Plus, hasn't Sweat had some other issues off the field?

I know there isn't a lot of talk about Ferrell, but he seems like a complete DE. Maybe not a 10-sack a year player, which I think both Sweat and Gary have the potential to be.

I would think this coaching staff would use Gary in a way that would maximize his potential. Both are exciting prospects, but I believe Sweat has had some off-the-field issues that need to be checked out as well.

all these guy are in short pant. everybody look good now. like my old coach used to say.we will know when the pad come on in nfl.

From my understanding Sweat is a no-go, not because of the medical condition, but because of our defensive requirements. We're going to run multiple fronts and it requires a lot of mental aptitude, lots of study time, and lots of adapting. Rumor is that Sweat (a drool-worthy physical specimen) had trouble with his college playbook which was extremely simple by comparison. While his physical attributes are amazing, he isn't as strong a learner and studier to reliably perform his role in this offense. So, he's out. By the time we'd take a chance on him he'll be long gone.

Lots of love for Ed Oliver, and I definitely see why … but I am a bit scared off, because with his dynamite physical ability, I was expecting more from him. Definite boom/bust prospect, IMHO. I'd probably pass on him.

Brian Burns is another boom/bust prospect, and maybe not even as good of a fit in our defense, but the kid is a natural pass rusher with explosion and length. If his combine weight is legit, I would definitely consider drafting him.

In the end, my preference might be to trade back and acquire picks in the 2020 draft. That way if our tanking fails and we're mediocre, we might have a chance to trade back into the top couple of picks and get our QB.

You'd want to draft guys that high in the draft that have been ultra productive. I don't see that with either Sweat or Gary. The heart condition is something that would worry me, especially in the Florida heat. Sweat as much as he blew up the Senior Bowl Practices, leaves a little bit of a question mark, as to why he wasn't more productive on the field? Gary as athletic as he seems to be, why wasn't he more productive? Scheme at Michigan or not. Question is; does he become more productive in the NFL. That's the proverbial question, Miami needs to answer!!

I think they need to answer if they are playing for the right reasons more. As in who loves football. Mental aptitude for the scheme is something that none of us can really measure and up to the decision makers to uncover.

But I don’t see lacks instincts or feel with sweat. Although that usually comes to light on tape more with off the ball lbs in my experience.

In terms of senior bowl talent I thought sweat primary and Dillard secondary were the cream of the crop.

245 senior bowl 260 combine the guy can obviously carry the weight and carry it well.

Last edited:
Don't want freakish athletes we need "Ballers" first then all of those other characteristics can com later.

I think Gary has bust written all over him tbh. Yeah he has all the measurables and looks the part but his lack of production at the college level shouldn't be ignored in favour of his fast 40 or whatever. I've not been too enamored of his character coming through in the path to the draft series on NFL network, seems like someone who is very much chasing the $$$ and I question what he will be like when he gets paid.

I loved Sweat before the combine, he has the production and played in the best conference, his combine was ridiculous and that only added to his appeal. The heart thing I initially thought would hurt his stock a lot but it looks like he's still trending high, which is great for him. Of the two he would certainly be my choice.

I don't think at this moment in time either drops to us, unless the fear of Sweat's heart condition forces a slide. At the end of the day though if the both did drop to 13, I hope we don't draft either because my preference is to trade up for a QB or failing that trade down.

Frankly I would probably take a RT or CB before those guys but definitely Sweat over Gary. Sweat's heart condition is said to be the same as Maurice Hurst's from last year which is also reported to be a non-issue.

Back
Top Bottom