Who Would Your Non Qb Pick In The Draft Be At #13 | Page 14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who Would Your Non Qb Pick In The Draft Be At #13

There was another one from a scout that said basically what I said earlier- but cant find it.

I have watched Stick for 3 years now, he Is much closer to Brock Jensen than he would ever be to Wentz. Inconsistent accuracy continues to be a huge problem for him. There isnt an FCS QB in this years draft that will amount to anything IMHO

Round 1. Rasheen gray de/dt

Round 2. Chase winovich 3-4 olb

Round 3. Julian love CB

Round 4. Jesse barkett C/OG

Round 5. Lil’Jordan Humphrey WR

Round 6. Kendrick Norton dt

Round 7. John cominsky de

Can you argue if we came away with this draft? I see ya keep Kiko at for this year just ass depth and I also see ya signing or trading for a pass rushing olb, chase I believe plays like Clay Matthews and I love his motor, jesses barkett has room for improve has a Stoner base and agile above average pass/run block, Kendrick norton I believe has a nice little pass rush and is very strong and hard to move. Rasheen gray reminds me of Mario Williams, Muhammad Wilkerson; Richard Seymour. Please lies e your thoughts

Not a R. Gary fan at all. I typically like freak athletes at DE, and Gary is supposed to be one, but I've never seen him play like one - or even play very well for that matter.

Not a R. Gary fan at all. I typically like freak athletes at DE, and Gary is supposed to be one, but I've never seen him play like one - or even play very well for that matter.

Wow, that's surprising.

I see the kind of guy who does a bunch of things that help a defense be really good. Especially one like Miami is about to move toward.

God no, his lack of weight is a huge red flag for me. Plus he didnt get near as much QB pressure as I would have expected.

I think if he comes in late 270's that yeah its gonna effect him. but the only thing I see other than that with the player that may be a concern is I don't see much rush arsenal. hes doing a lot of work on quick twitch and explosion and ridiculous cod for his size. hes got heavy quick hands so that helps but I think the one thing id be a little wondering about is if he thinks he's good enough already and doesn't need to work on his rush moves and can just rely on his explosive tools and movement skills etc carrying him at the next level.

I don't like a number in the 270's I know that on the interior. at the same time though I think he could carry 285 and not scrape much of the explosion athlete or movement skills.

come in 285 though and we are sprinting the card.

I have watched Stick for 3 years now, he Is much closer to Brock Jensen than he would ever be to Wentz. Inconsistent accuracy continues to be a huge problem for him. There isnt an FCS QB in this years draft that will amount to anything IMHO

I'll give you this. You've definitely watched him for the last three years if that's your main criticism. You are 100% correct here. I see so many other guys pick out this or that about his game, and I just think, they haven't really watched him. They don't really have a bead on who he is as a prospect. You do, though.

I just disagree with your conclusions.

I measured his propensity for off-target throws in 2018 at about 16 to 20%, depending on how deep you want to go into the "why" a ball was off-target. I'll give you an example of that. There was a scramble to Easton's left, where he threw the ball straight up the hash to the receiver, but the receiver had his jersey tugged hard by the defensive back (unflagged), knocking his balance off and forcing the receiver to awkwardly fade instead of going straight up the hash. If you watch the play, you know exactly where the receiver intended to go, and it was exactly where Stick threw it. But it looked off-target/uncatchable. How you classify that and plays like it is how you go between 16 and 20%.

As I compare this percentage around the NFL, the average among NFL starters is somewhere around 23%. So Easton Stick's percentages of off-target passes definitely fit into the NFL standard.

However, Stick played in the FCS on a team that was built to dominate that level of competition. There was a comfort level he had on that team, against that competition, in that offense, that developed over the course of 51 starts. There's no denying it. So you'd sort of expect his off-target percentages to be better than the NFL. And the question becomes...were they ENOUGH better?

And then of course, as you say, you've been watching him for three years so YOU have seen that off-target percentage be higher in 2017 and especially 2016, as opposed to 2018. Sometimes I sort of think of that as like having a body-memory of throwing inaccurately. It may show up again when you get stressed. First day of Shrine practice, IT SHOWED UP...because he was stressed. Really calmed down for the rest of the week though.

When he's off, the nose of the ball dips down, as he's gotten too high on his heels, mechanics a bit too clunky. I also noticed a tendency in Shrine practice week to throw a little too shallow when he's driving the football to the sidelines for an out route, or a comeback. That showed up in the Shrine game itself as he threw a 4th down strike about 2-3 feet shy of the sticks. You can afford to do that on 3rd down. You can't on 4th down. It was a turnover on downs.

He strikes me as a guy that can go on streaks with respect to his accuracy. If he's off on one, he's going to be off on another, and then another.

Those streaks never lasted long at NDSU. But you wonder if that was due to management, their offense's ability to get back to running the football, to get back into structure, even in the passing game. They WOULD know Easton Stick very well there. They've had a lot of time to get to know him. They may have become quite adept at managing the streakiness of his accuracy.

It's clear that when he's off, and you can tell he's uncomfortable with his accuracy, what he really WANTS to do at that point is immerse himself in some structure. Run the offense. Execute a play-action with your back turned to the defense. Get moving on your feet. Throw a screen or an RPO, or execute a zone-read run. Get him back INTO structure, and that tricks him out of the bad streak.

At the Shrine practices, he obviously wasn't going to be managed like that. And since reps are limited, and all eyes are on you, he ended up having a bad Monday because of it, and most people stuck with their Monday impressions for the rest of the week. You could see it in the write-ups, how they lacked specifics. They just ceased high-precision evaluation on him, and from then on would only notice a big play going this way or that. And of course, Andrew Wingard got that pick-6 on him in (what was otherwise a good) Tuesday practice, and that sort of sealed it in the eyes of the amateur onlookers and what they reported back to the Twitterverse.

Last edited:
Some of my early favorites right now at 13...

1. Brian Burns
2. Josh Allen
3. Clelin Ferrell

Trade down a few spots....
Cody Ford (If we move on from J-James)
Byron Murphy
DK Metcalf

Trade down lower...
Christian Wilkins
Montez Sweat

2nd round
Dexter Lawrence
Garrett Bradbury

If this team could get Devin White in the 1st and Dexter Lawrence in the 2nd then that’s a win in my book, that’d definitely fix a lot of problems defending the run. But I think Lawrence gets drafted late 1st rd or early 2nd and out of reach for the Phins, still hopeful though.

I'll give you this. You've definitely watched him for the last three years if that's your main criticism. You are 100% correct here. I see so many other guys pick out this or that about his game, and I just think, they haven't really watched him. They don't really have a bead on who he is as a prospect. You do, though.

I just disagree with your conclusions.

I measured his propensity for off-target throws in 2018 at about 16 to 20%, depending on how deep you want to go into the "why" a ball was off-target. I'll give you an example of that. There was a scramble to Easton's left, where he threw the ball straight up the hash to the receiver, but the receiver had his jersey tugged hard by the defensive back (unflagged), knocking his balance off and forcing the receiver to awkwardly fade instead of going straight up the hash. If you watch the play, you know exactly where the receiver intended to go, and it was exactly where Stick threw it. But it looked off-target/uncatchable. How you classify that and plays like it is how you go between 16 and 20%.

As I compare this percentage around the NFL, the average among NFL starters is somewhere around 23%. So Easton Stick's percentages of off-target passes definitely fit into the NFL standard.

However, Stick played in the FCS on a team that was built to dominate that level of competition. There was a comfort level he had on that team, against that competition, in that offense, that developed over the course of 51 starts. There's no denying it. So you'd sort of expect his off-target percentages to be better than the NFL. And the question becomes...were they ENOUGH better?

And then of course, as you say, you've been watching him for three years so YOU have seen that off-target percentage be higher in 2017 and especially 2016, as opposed to 2018. Sometimes I sort of think of that as like having a body-memory of throwing inaccurately. It may show up again when you get stressed. First day of Shrine practice, IT SHOWED UP...because he was stressed. Really calmed down for the rest of the week though.

When he's off, the nose of the ball dips down, as he's gotten too high on his heels, mechanics a bit too clunky. I also noticed a tendency in Shrine practice week to throw a little too shallow when he's driving the football to the sidelines for an out route, or a comeback. That showed up in the Shrine game itself as he threw a 4th down strike about 2-3 feet shy of the sticks. You can afford to do that on 3rd down. You can't on 4th down. It was a turnover on downs.

He strikes me as a guy that can go on streaks with respect to his accuracy. If he's off on one, he's going to be off on another, and then another.

Those streaks never lasted long at NDSU. But you wonder if that was due to management, their offense's ability to get back to running the football, to get back into structure, even in the passing game. They WOULD know Easton Stick very well there. They've had a lot of time to get to know him. They may have become quite adept at managing the streakiness of his accuracy.

It's clear that when he's off, and you can tell he's uncomfortable with his accuracy, what he really WANTS to do at that point is immerse himself in some structure. Run the offense. Execute a play-action with your back turned to the defense. Get moving on your feet. Throw a screen or an RPO, or execute a zone-read run. Get him back INTO structure, and that tricks him out of the bad streak.

At the Shrine practices, he obviously wasn't going to be managed like that. And since reps are limited, and all eyes are on you, he ended up having a bad Monday because of it, and most people stuck with their Monday impressions for the rest of the week. You could see it in the write-ups, how they lacked specifics. They just ceased high-precision evaluation on him, and from then on would only notice a big play going this way or that. And of course, Andrew Wingard got that pick-6 on him in (what was otherwise a good) Tuesday practice, and that sort of sealed it in the eyes of the amateur onlookers and what they reported back to the Twitterverse.
Here is the thing with him in 2018, it .ight have been the best NDSU team of the bunch. It was dominate defensive, the best offensive line in the country, and a fantastic running back in Bruce Anderson. On top of that, they were so well coached that it seems like he was throwing to wide open receivers week in and week out.

He has the mobility and NFL arm but he will never have that much time and space in the NFL. The problems we are seeing are him being under more pressure and having to thread the needle. He has never done well with either and that is why I dont think he is draftable.

If you watch this tape, pay close attention to the room his receivers are having.

Here is the thing with him in 2018, it .ight have been the best NDSU team of the bunch. It was dominate defensive, the best offensive line in the country, and a fantastic running back in Bruce Anderson. On top of that, they were so well coached that it seems like he was throwing to wide open receivers week in and week out.

He has the mobility and NFL arm but he will never have that much time and space in the NFL. The problems we are seeing are him being under more pressure and having to thread the needle. He has never done well with either and that is why I dont think he is draftable.

If you watch this tape, pay close attention to the room his receivers are having.

Oh I definitely have. Trust me. I have every throw of his capped and cataloged.

Hence I was able to pretty easily throw together every play of his from under center, ...

...or every pass play of his where he was forced to scramble, ...

... or his touchdown and highlight reel.

But to say that he isn't draftable? I think that's pretty extreme. Who are you going to draft instead of him? If we're applying these sorts of standards to a guy with THIS tape, then who actually IS draftable? I mean, Kyler Murray and Dwayne Haskins, sure...but who else?

Will Grier hasn't met a tight window throw he could throw into with NFL pace. Daniel Jones has inconsistent throwing mechanics and a piss poor arm, not to mention some questionable decision-making and streaky accuracy of his own. Jordan Ta'amu had the most talented receiving unit in the country and still managed to look poor on tape. Jarrett Stidham falls apart under pressure and has uneven tape.

I mean, if Easton Stick isn't even draftable then there are probably only two quarterbacks in this draft anybody should even bother to look at before the 6th or 7th round.

Back
Top Bottom