whos fault? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

whos fault?

fear-the-d

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
last year miami dolphins lead on most fumbles with 42.
It would be assumed that our rbs are not holding onto the ball but this is not the case. our main two RBs travis minor and sammy morris between them only fumbled once.
On the other hand our QBs combined fumbled 21 times
Feeley 10 times, Fiedler 9 and rosenfels 2.
Wes welker fumbled 4 times on returns
chambers fumbled once.
Thisis only 26 fumbles. i remember on defense in one play we fumbled 3 times so that moves it up to 29. less well none players account for most of the others.
But the major contributor of all of these fumbles is QBs. because there is more than one QB fumbling on a Large scale we cant just blame it all on the QBs ball handling skills even though this is a major contributor.
Dowe blame it on the O-line being so poor at blocking? what do you think?

It is a combination of everything... The Quarterbacks need to take care of the ball and get the ball out of their hands when pressure is felt.The line needs to protect better, and knowing the line doesn't block that well the Recievers need to get open quicker.
The running backs also didnt block well at all last year, many teams have a glaring weakness in their line but with a quality blocking back the weakness is hidden a little bit better or protected better. The lack of a legit rushing attack also contributed because the ends were able to get a good pass rush, not worrying about the run and getting to the quarterback quick.

i agree! This year with McDougle and cook we will challange D-linemen more. and with Linehan calling the sensible plays WRs will get open quicker. Feeley also needs to read the defense earlier

fear-the-d said:
i agree! This year with McDougle and cook we will challange D-linemen more. and with Linehan calling the sensible plays WRs will get open quicker. Feeley also needs to read the defense earlier
:eek:

If we can fainally get a legit 3rd WR and a good Blcking and recieving Running Back:COUGH:Ronnie Brown:COUGH: Defenses would need more guys in coverage instead of blitzing and will basically not be able to double team anyone, enabling the WR to get open. Plus with Houck coming in and like you said McDougal and Cook coming in our line will be much better off than last year. And also bringin in more targets and a better O-Line everything involvine the Offense will get better(Feeley, Running Game, ETC.)

if miami do bring in Ronnie brown then i believe he will be Miamis version of brian westbrook. except ronnie will runn less mabe spliting his hand offs with minor/Sammy morris

Lamont Brightful and the kick returners before Welker fumbled a few times, Feeley, Fiedler and Rosenfels only fumbled because they had no-one imparticular blocking their blind side, our best blockers were John St. Clair and Randy McMichael, that tells you we need to help out our QB's a little more even if they aren't the best.

That reminds me... Remember when McMichael threw a great block on fast pass rusher against a side(can't remember who) it was on Sunday or MNF and then he went to the sidelines and had a big go at the lineman, that was such a bad night for the O-line Feeley had like 1.5 seconds to get the ball out every single down.

fear-the-d said:
if miami do bring in Ronnie brown then i believe he will be Miamis version of brian westbrook. except ronnie will runn less mabe spliting his hand offs with minor/Sammy morris
If ronnie Brown comes in I don't see him splitting carries unfortunately. I see a Ricky Williams situation for whoever comes in to play RB for the Miami Dolphins....they better be able to carry a load.

Well, I would normally say that the QB has to be responsible for taking care of the ball. Fiedler has always had a propensity to fumble, but not as bad as last year was.
The problem was that the QBs were running for their lives last year at every snap. Our OL was so poor, that fumbling was going to happen...look at some of the hits our QBs took, it's not a wonder there weren't more fumbles. IF the OL improves, as it should, even tho we haven't made any major personell changes, that stat should be improved.

And I agree that if we bring in a Ron Brown or whoever, he will be sharing the load with the other guys we have. That is Linehan's offensive style. That is one way to keep the defense guessing as to whether we will go run or pass. Putting in different personell, and making the LBs have to stop and think a split second can open up a running lane for whoever is carrying the ball.

BTW...the reason your numbers on the fumbles won't add up is that the 42 includes all fumbles, whether we recovered them or the other team did.

Our centre McKinney I think also had very sweaty hands. That might be a reason why the qbs fumbled so much.

Back
Top Bottom