Who's going to the sat pm practice? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who's going to the sat pm practice?

Just got back from the 4:15 session. Got there about 15 minutes, or so late, so I probably missed only the stretching.

First off, like I said in a previous thread, I am very cautious to heap praise upon too much that I see, or hear, in training camp. That said, I will try to give a recap of my thoughts.

And with all due respect to Ozzy, and DCH, here goes. Well, first off, I woke up a little late from an unplanned nap (Well, just kinda fell asleep around 12 or so).So, I got there around 15 minutes late, without a pen. Didin't even think about it. So, these takes are off the top of my head.

Rather than give a detailed account, I will break it down by position.

OL/DL:

Not much to speak about, due to the fact, that there was no real hitting, and the practice was in shorts.

No one really got my attention except for DL'men James Adkins, and Larry Chester. Adkins is listed as a DT, if I'm not mistaken, but I did notice him lined up on the outside in one play, which he did get a decent push around newly aquired FB Femi......... Chester seemed to display a welcomed nasty streak on a couple of plays that I noticed him involved in. Now, it was just a little friendly shove after a couple plays, but it demonstrates some intensity.

LB:

Kind of amusing actually. I guess we only have 4 in camp now, until the rest of the others report officially on Monday. So, nothing really noteworthy here, other than to mention, that Justin Seaverns could be a guy to keep an eye on. Now, I'm not sure if it is because of his ability on the field, or his appearance. This is one intense looking cat. He kind of reminds me of a hybrid of the typical old Raider, mixed in with the Jed Weaver new-wave looks, and some Kevin Green type intensity. Now, obviously, all this has absolutely nothing to do with his chances of making the team, but he sure is one mean lookig dude.

RB/FB:

Again here, not too much can be told from just running 7 on 7 drills, with no real hitting, and no pads. But there were a couple of guys noteworthy. Rob Konrad did demonstrate very sticky fingers on a few nice catches out of the backfield. Femi didn't really look too comfortable out there, but obviously, he can't be familiar with the plays, and formations yet, so it is way too soon, at this point to make any observations on him. Deon Dyer did
have one drop that I noticed, but like I say, you can't read too much into anything you see here, enless someone drops 10 passes, or makes a ton of great plays consistently. Travis was used in the 3rd down/long yardage sets, and Robert Edwards was the starter. Oviously, when The Dreaded One arrives on monday, Edwards will be the backup. Again, just as with the lines, you can't tell much about the running game in these types of practices.

DB:

The thing that stands out right away about a couple of these guys, is their size. Ray Green , and Scott Shields are monsters. I for one,liked the little of what I saw of some of our young guys in NFLE. Delvin Brown, Cedric Donaldson, and Shields, all showed some talent over there. How they fit into the mix at DB will be intersting to see play out. Didn't really see many nice plays from our DB's today.

So, I'm sure you are saying, "Well, did ANYTHING happen out there today?"

Ah, yes, and now to the few things that did get my attention today (other than the couple of nice tanning babes, hehehe).

QB:

Zach Kustok: Seemed a little wild out there. From what I remember hearing of the earlier camps, that was the word on him then, too. Very erratic. Not a good sign for a guy trying to impress.

Ray Lucas: Rocket arm. This guy has a cannon for an arm. He rifles the ball in there, so hard at times, that you would like to see him put some touch behind some of the shorter routes. But in my thinking, professional recievers need to be able to catch these frozen ropes. He demonstrated tremendous leadership, and enthusiasm throughout the day. You can see, that he definitely has the confidence of his teamates, if pressed into duty in games.

He was pretty much on the money, with only a couple of errant passes. Very solid performance from Lucas today. I feel very good about him as our backup. And, it seems like the team does,as well.

Tim Levcik:

I would call him and TE Randy McMicheal (More on him to follow), my two standout performers today. Talk about a rocket arm. This guy has one. He was firing the ball all over the field today, with pretty much pinpoint accuracy. He had a couple of rockets on bombs that were laid in just right, and did not float at all. Nice to see. Very impressive. Like I sat, there was no real pass rush, but there was one particular play that I feel is noteworthy. The knock on him coming out of college, was his "pocket prescence, and mobility". This one particular play broke down, as one of his linemen was pushed back into him. Rather than scrambling or panicking around, he simply regained his composure and quickly fired a rope to the outlook reciever out of the backfield (Jerry Westbrooks). Westbrooks didn't even turn around for the pass in the flat, but that is kind of the point. Levcik fired the ball so quickly that his reciever didn't even know the ball was on the way. IMO the back showed his lack of awareness to the situation, by not coming back to help his QB, or even turning back to check on the play behind him. Regardless of the result of the play, it DID demonstrate a very good pocket awareness and ability to move very quickly in the little space ans time available. Nice to see from him.

WR:

This seems to be our deepest and most comfortable position. We seem to know what we can expect from all these guys.

OG:
Showed his usual great hands, catching everything thrown his
way.

Detric Ward:
Pretty much the same. He laid out tremendously on a post pattern, that just bounced off his fingertips, but the effort was noticed, especially from a veretan.

Chris Chambers:
What can you say about him? Simply awesome! This guy is just so fluid, he makes it look so easy out there. He caught 2 bombs that had me saying, "OK, just keep him out the rest of camp, so he won't get hurt".

As for the young guys, Baker, Johnson, and Simmons, didn't see much noteworthy from them, with the exception of one drop from Sam. Speaking of drops, McDrops wasn't there. He reports on monday. lol

TE:

Shawn Draper:
Don't think he will even be here long enough to be worthy of mention.

Alonzo Mayes:
You'll never guess. He was held out of practice (More on this to follow)

Randy McMicheal:
To me, he is my star of the practice. I guess CC was really it, but we already know what to expect from him. He just reinforced that with his performance today. But McMicheal was Mr. Glue for hands today. This guy was making catches that had me going back,(Way back in my memeory, when we actually threw to the TE) to thoughts of Bruce Hardy, Dan Johnson, Keith Jackson, etc.

He caught everything thrown his way. Even one one reception, when he fumbled, he pounced right down on the ball, as if to say, "I'm better that that". He caught some of the afformentioned rockets from Lucas, and Levcik. One catch 25 yards down the middle, was a thing of beauty. He laid out, and extended, and came down with the ball, drawing a high-five, and pat on the back, from Lucas, the frozen rope deliveree.

All in all, not a very exciting practice, but I didn't expect one. But one thing that stuck out like a sore thumb, was that this offense has Norv Turner painted all over it. By that I mean, the use of the FB, and the TE in the passing game was very evident out there today. Konrad, and McMicheal got tons of reps. Kind of strange to see from a Dolphin offense, but it is very welcomed.

As for Mayes, he was working his butt off on the sidelines. Now, rather than go into a subject we all know, and have hashed out over and over on these boards, I will just say that, at least the guy was working. He was really putting in a great effort in his sideline excersizes. Now, don't get me wrong, I think the guy is a bum, but I must say, that I was impressed by his intensity. He was really giving a great effort. Once again, that being said, I think the guy is a waist, and we will most likely send him packing in the not too distant future.

Any questions you guys may have, I will gladly try to answer.

Scott.

Last edited by a moderator:
its good to see that we are going to us the fb and te...i would love to see mcmichael be a bigtime player...it would give us another weapon...we havent had a good te since keith jackson...also good to see that lucas looks good...if fiedler goes down we wont lose a beat with lucas...

Originally posted by scotgif
Just got back from the 4:15 session. Got there about 15 minutes, or so late, so I probably missed only the stretching.

First off, like I said in a previous thread, I am very cautious to heap praise upon too much that I see, or hear, in training camp. That said, I will try to give a recap of my thoughts.

And with all due respect to Ozzy, and DCH, here goes. Well, first off, I woke up a little late from an unplanned nap (Well, just kinda fell asleep around 12 or so).So, I got there around 15 minutes late, without a pen. Didin't even think about it. So, these takes are off the top of my head.

Rather than give a detailed account, I will break it down by position.

Scott.

Scot It's great that you took the time out to write this report up. Great Job brutha!!!

No disrespect taken from me, in fact I insist you go to a few more :)

I'm a DIEHARD Dolphins fan, and cannot get enough info, so please feel free to POST POST POST THEM

The best part of your whole post was first informing people that it is only Training Camp!

My question is something I know but it might help others a bit on this. What pads were they wearing today, was it just shoulder pads, just the pants or was it both...........

Question:
Did Lucas throw some accurate passes?I know you mention he was throwing some lasers but was he consistent with his accuracy?

Last edited by a moderator:
Another question for Camp veterans:
When do they usually have start practicing with pads?
This year will be my first year attending training camp.I'm planning on going tomorrow........

Lucas was pretty much on the money, from what I was able to tell. A couple bad throws, but not many.

Back
Top Bottom