Who's gonna beat the Patriots? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who's gonna beat the Patriots?

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
Len Pasquarelli wrote a very good indepth article on the Patriots and what team will step up and beat them. He didn't name specific teams but he did apparently consult with a lot of the NFL's offensive and defensive coordinators about strategies playing against the Patriots. The interesting part for me was this quote...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/pasquarelli_len/1433346.html

From a schematic standpoint on the defensive side, the consensus is that an opponent has to reciprocate against New England with a healthy dose of its own medicine. That means plenty of "Cover 2" looks with "man-under" in the short and intermediate zones. It also means mixing in press coverages against the wide receivers, who have collective explosiveness in and out of cuts and who add yards after nearly every catch.

The addition of free agent Donald Hayes and second-round draft choice Deion Branch have provided Brady with two outside playmakers. Despite the size dimension Hayes brings, however, the Pats' wide receivers still rate as one of the smaller groups in the league. And while they are elusive, the feeling is they can be roughed up a bit, jammed to prevent easy releases into their routes

Does anyone else think that this basically sounds exactly like our defense? Except for the "man-under" which basically changes from game to game whether or not we're playing that way (against the Colts we did not for fear of Marvin Harrison).

This is what we do on defense. We play the cover 2. We press cover. We are extremely physical with the receivers. We do "man-under" AND, very importantly, last year we enjoyed a modicum of success against the Patriots. If I remember correctly, were it not for a fumble at the goal line by Lamar "I'm either fumbling or not getting yards" Smith, we would have had a very good chance of sweeping the Pats in the series. In our first meeting we beat the pants off Wonderboy Brady.

What concerns me is this following quote...

"They're attacking more now, so you have to come at Brady more often on first down, change up on him early in the possession," said one opposition linebackers coach whose team faces New England in the second half of the schedule. "He's a smart kid, and (Weis) is terrific in what he does with him, but he's still young. There isn't a quarterback in this league who doesn't get rattled at some point. But I think to get to Brady, you have to come inside on him. Compress the pocket from the inside, you know?"

I hope that we will be able to get the push up the middle like we use to with Daryl Gardener, but I fear that we will not.

Well, I'll await to see what our D line does this weekend. After watching the first two games, I haven't been that impressed thus far. But maybe we didn't play like we needed to and just played off some. It all depends. Thats why they play the games.

The Pats ARE FOR REAL....

They look awesome right now, and nobody has really given them a challenge.....

If they keep winning, I think they'll eventually get too ****y....

I also think we can beat them down here if we're on top of our game....

PHINZ RULE!!!

It could be said that the PAT's first two opponents were no better than the Dolphins first two..and I think we played a better team in the Colts, than the PAT's first two opponents..The Jets self destruct in their game against them..The 1st qtr and a half..they were equal...Then turn overs killed the JETs..along with a lot of missed passes..reminded me of Marino days..If our passing game was off..it was miserable to watch..3 and out , 3 and out..Gave PAT's all day to be on the field...Any D will where out like that.

Now lets look at the records of both our opponenents

Pat vs Steelers Steelers 0-2
Pat vs Jets Jets 1-1

Phins vs Lions Lions 0-2
Phins vs Colts Colts 1-1

Team stats League Phins opponents
NFC
16 Detroit Offense
14 Detroit Defense

AFC
6 Indianapolis Offense
10 Indianapolis Defense

Team stats League Pats opponents
AFC
13 Pittsburg Offense
13 Pittsburgh Defense

14 NY Jets Offense
14 NY Jets Defense

Now looking at this the PATs haven't played no harder team than we have..We're all caught up in last year's team performances, instead of dealing with the now situations. In actuality we've played a harder team in the Colts than the Pats have played in both games.. Steelers with Stewart is like the Houston Texans..

The Jets have been terrible even against the Bills..who I think is pretty good if not for their D.

im still not convinced. I think the pats are good but not the best team in the nfl. I am convinced that Tom Brady is worthy of being a starting QB in this league.

stop this bull****

the pats first two oponents were arguable worse than the dolphins first two?

You have got to be kidding me.

First off, the patriots could've annihilated both teams you guys played.

The Lions and the colts. You have got to be kidding me.

Why don't you wait until after this weekend, when you've played a mutual oponent to make any more ridiculous statements.

it just makes you look like a moron.

62-7.

It will be the game of the year when we first play the Pats. If we are both playing well, I see a real killer match-up.

Re: stop this bull****

Originally posted by ethand420
the pats first two oponents were arguable worse than the dolphins first two?

You have got to be kidding me.

First off, the patriots could've annihilated both teams you guys played.

The Lions and the colts. You have got to be kidding me.

Why don't you wait until after this weekend, when you've played a mutual oponent to make any more ridiculous statements.

it just makes you look like a moron.

62-7.

I agree with you to a certain extent the Pats probably would have crushed the Lions and maybe even the Colts. The part I disagree with you on is:

"Why don't you wait until after this weekend, when you've played a mutual oponent to make any more ridiculous statements."

As a football fan you should know every week is different and the Jets probably didn't have their best game against New England last week. If you're saying that if the Dolphins can't crush the Jets they are not as good as the Pats you're an idiot. When you factor in Miami's present history with the Jets a win by 1 point will be huge to this team. If you think New York is gonna lay down and die again this weekend well that's foolish.

Who's gonna beat the Patriots?

at Miami
Green Bay
Denver
at Buffalo
at Chicago
at Oakland
Minnesota
at Detroit
Buffalo
at Tennessee
NY Jets
Miami

Does anyone else think that this basically sounds exactly like our defense?

Yes I agree with you but we don't make any of the WRs pay like the Pats or Broncos since Walker went to the Lions. We beat the Pats last year in Miami by basically putting Brady on his ass and being physical. Jason Talyor scored a TD when Brady fumbled a snap. That comes from pressure.
I've been thinking :rolleyes:with all the CBs we seem to be stashing could we have a surprise for the Pats??

Looking at the New England schedule, at Miami, Denver, at Chicago, at Oakland and at Tennessee all seem like viable victors at this point of the season.

Damn Ice this sissy thread might belong in the NFL forum but in the Smack forum??? Or some should add to this thread so it does belong here. :argue:

Back
Top Bottom