Who's the most overrated player in Dolphins history? | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who's the most overrated player in Dolphins history?

'95 was such a disappointing year. 9-7 and lost to Buffalo again in the playoffs. After spending a crap load in free agency. Was a good team... on paper.
“Disappointing” is not nearly strong enough a word. Keith Jackson gone, Eric Green in and worst of all (as well as inevitable), Shula was gone. The team just couldn’t get out of its own way. It was a win-now squad that couldn’t maintain any level of consistency. I detested that season (except for the opening game).

“Disappointing” is not nearly strong enough a word. Keith Jackson gone, Eric Green in and worst of all (as well as inevitable), Shula was gone. The team just couldn’t get out of its own way. It was a win-now squad that couldn’t maintain any level of consistency. I detested that season (except for the opening game).
I was in Vegas for the opener vs the Jets. I think I won about $500 on that blowout! We kicked their ass. The free agent signings of Steve Emtman and Gary Clark were head scratchers. Eric Green, I thought was a good pickup (wrong!). And our first round pick Billy Milner was a complete bust. Too bad Shula had to deal with that mess his last year. I saw them when they beat SD on Sunday night.

Last edited:
Overrated but not in the “all time” category. Good player but not great.
Overrated in that people see him as a top tackle in the league when he let in the same sacks last season (2) as Ereck Flowers, in the same amount of games, while committing 10+ penalties (false starts). He's overrated because he was traded for 2 #1 Rd picks and he's worth a 2nd or 3rd in terms of production IMO

Dwight Stephenson, may be the greatest center to play the position. Gets forgotten about too much and career was cut short by a dirty play.

Overrated in that people see him as a top tackle in the league when he let in the same sacks last season (2) as Ereck Flowers, in the same amount of games, while committing 10+ penalties (false starts). He's overrated because he was traded for 2 #1 Rd picks and he's worth a 2nd or 3rd in terms of production IMO
i can get down w that.

Dwight Stephenson, may be the greatest center to play the position. Gets forgotten about too much and career was cut short by a dirty play.
Bear Bryant’s famous quote about him being the best football player he’d ever coached, period. A center. That’s pretty incredible. And so was Dwight. I can still see him in pass pro w the towel hanging down in front of his waist, bouncing on his toes (so agile) looking for someone to come his way, pocket intact and the QB (Woodley, Strock or Marino) surveying the field. Didn’t appreciate how gorgeous a pocket can look until many, many years later of not seeing one.

Simms I could see. Webb was really good at pass blocking.
I've seen Keith Simms cry after Bruce Smith abused him over and over with an inside rush with Cornbread taking Webb outside. He would scream in the huddle at teammates crying for help, 'cause Smith was kicking his ass...

My opinion is Bob Griese. He gets the credit in the media and non Dolphin fans for the perfect season, yet he only played in 5 games. He was an average QB at best who just so happened to be on the best team.
Blasphemous, are you old enough to ever see him play in his prime? Griese not only called his own plays but before we had an OL and Csonka he had to run for his life every play. Remember the Monday night game art Houston where Earl Cambell ran over our Defense for about 250 yards and 4 or 5 TD's? Griese matched him with TD passes, until the end? Strongly Disagree,

How about Joe Thiesman? Mike Golic? Double POS from Notre Dame...
No one considers them even rated, much less over rated :)

Blasphemous, are you old enough to ever see him play in his prime? Griese not only called his own plays but before we had an OL and Csonka he had to run for his life every play. Remember the Monday night game art Houston where Earl Cambell ran over our Defense for about 250 yards and 4 or 5 TD's? Griese matched him with TD passes, until the end? Strongly Disagree,

Yes I watched him a lot. ALL QBs called their own plays then, Griese wasn't doing anything the rest weren't. Tannehill beat Brady too, doesn't mean he should get in the Hall of Fame.

Bear Bryant’s famous quote about him being the best football player he’d ever coached, period. A center. That’s pretty incredible. And so was Dwight. I can still see him in pass pro w the towel hanging down in front of his waist, bouncing on his toes (so agile) looking for someone to come his way, pocket intact and the QB (Woodley, Strock or Marino) surveying the field. Didn’t appreciate how gorgeous a pocket can look until many, many years later of not seeing one.
Exactly

No one considers them even rated, much less over rated :)

Yes I watched him a lot. ALL QBs called their own plays then, Griese wasn't doing anything the rest weren't. Tannehill beat Brady too, doesn't mean he should get in the Hall of Fame.
Griese was a great QB. In college and in the pros. He was a 3 sport sensation - football, baseball, basketball as a youth as well. For some reason people forget what an amazing athlete he was - early in his career he scrambled like Fran Tarketington. In fact, he took a 27 yard sack in the SB vs Dallas
- a bad outcome but think about how hard that is to do! Here’s why he was great - intelligence and selflessness. Every QB wants to throw the ball and Bob was no different. He knew how to manage a game. He called plays that put the team in the best position to win time and time again. The narrative that he was only good for handing off is well, off. Look no further than ‘77 when he led the league in passing. His QBR of over 80 was almost unheard of in those days. He could have broke the record for TD passes in a game on Turkey Day vs the Cards and his teammates implored him to go for it but he was too classy and called a running play that went for a TD in that 56-15 romp. For me, he was the mold of QB that evolved like this: Bart Starr -> Bob Griese -> Joe Montana -> Tom Brady. What did they all have in common? Smarts, game management skills, medium range arms, knew how to win. Bob is not overrated. He’s underrated and he’s in the HOF if that makes any sense.

How about Joe Thiesman? Mike Golic? Double POS from Notre Dame...
Most people don’t know we drafted Joe Theisman. Prick cost us a SB win w the defense of his own pass. Imagine he stayed w us instead?

Chris Chambers I always felt like he should have been a lot better of a reciever numbers wise.

He would have been if he didn’t play in a run oriented offense with average at best QB’s throwing the ball to him.

As I already pointed out, in just over 6 seasons in MIA he managed 2 seasons with double digit TD’s while playing in that run oriented offense. In the past 28 years, the Dolphins have only had one other receiver accomplish that. And it’s only happened 14 times in franchise history.

The two seasons of double digit TD’s matches Mark Duper, Paul Warfield and Nat Moore. Only Mark Clayton had more.

Again, unlike Duper and Clayton, Chambers played with average QB’s and in a run first offense.

Back
Top Bottom