Why a big 3 RB? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why a big 3 RB?

volk said:
I agree with Omaha completely. It is harder for an excellent RB to succeed behind a poor OL than it is for an average RB to look like a pro-bowler behind a great OL.

The best RB in this year's draft simply is not worth a #2, and likely very few RB's will be taken at that for a very long time.

But can you imagine a great running back behind a good oline???

I am all for one of the backs, picking one at #2 doesnt bug me. I understand it does for some of you, but what about trading down, isnt the best RB in the draft plus a couple more first day picks worth it?

knight6jb said:
Thats what I am talking about!!! CADDY 05'!!!!

I don't think any RB in this draft is worth 2nd pick money, especially one that had to split time during college, and will have to carry the full load of carries behind a mediocre OL. Can you say injury?

just multiplying Morris' numbers to reflect the same number of carries isnt accurate.
first, he probably couldnt handle the load and would end up injured
second, if teams were gameplanning for Morris his numbers would be much lower
third, its argueable that Morris got as many yards as he did because he was always "fresh". This wouldnt be the case if he were the feature back.
(edit: I see you addressed this in a later post)

I remember a couple of years ago, Travis Minor had a 5.0 Yds/carry backing up Ricky. So, you think Minor would be a better option than Morris?

volk said:
I don't think any RB in this draft is worth 2nd pick money, especially one that had to split time during college, and will have to carry the full load of carries behind a mediocre OL. Can you say injury?

You are entitled to your own opinion... I for one think Caddy is going to be the most dominate player coming into the NFL from this draft and feel he would be worth the money. Just curious, who to you is worth the #2 money??

another linebacker?

I can't believe this guy wants to take another linebacker with Minnesota's pick. Is he related to Wanny? (LOL) We need to start getting some star players on this team and not some other teams retreads. Gordon, Morris and any other back will not equal the benefit of one of the top three backs in this draft. I think either Benson, Brown or Williams will be great for us. Also it will take the pressure off of AJ and open up the offense. If we trade down with Tampa we can still get a franchise back and get another pick in the second round.

knight6jb said:
But can you imagine a great running back behind a good oline???

Sure: Ricky Williams 1,853 yards+top 10 defense=no playoff appearance.

knight6jb said:
I am all for one of the backs, picking one at #2 doesnt bug me. I understand it does for some of you, but what about trading down, isnt the best RB in the draft plus a couple more first day picks worth it?

Picking one at #2 doesn't necessarily bother me, I just believe it to be a poor value. I would rather reach for a QB and fail than overpay a RB who will have his career severely shortened behind this OL next year, and will likely still never take us to the playoffs without an equally good QB. I do agree with you, though, if we can trade down. I will be somewhat dissappointed that we allowed yet another first round pick go by without addressing the most important position on the field, but the value of multiple picks just cannot be denied.

volk said:
Sure: Ricky Williams 1,853 yards+top 10 defense=no playoff appearance.

I said behind a good Oline not a crappy one.

Picking one at #2 doesn't necessarily bother me, I just believe it to be a poor value. I would rather reach for a QB and fail than overpay a RB who will have his career severely shortened behind this OL next year, and will likely still never take us to the playoffs without an equally good QB. I do agree with you, though, if we can trade down. I will be somewhat dissappointed that we allowed yet another first round pick go by without addressing the most important position on the field, but the value of multiple picks just cannot be denied.

I have a feeling our Oline is going to be very good this year, last year I agree no matter who was back there would have gotten killed, we picked up a couple new lineman, Carey should progrss well under Houck, as well as Mcdougle. Why woulod you rather reach fro a QB and fail?? I dont think either one of these QB's are going to be great, I think Rodgers is going to bust right away, and I am just not sold on Smith yet. I wouldnt mind M.Williams, Braylon scares me a bit, and Ronnie Brown scares me due to his lack of vision. anyone as I would be fine with, I just think caddy will strive in our new offense, and will be a dominate back for many many years in this league.

ny_finfan1966 said:
Gordon, Morris and any other back will not equal the benefit of one of the top three backs in this draft. I think either Benson, Brown or Williams will be great for us.

Until we know what Houck can do with this OL, I think this statement is premature. We have yet to see what the current backs can do behind a solid OL. I will go out on a limb right now and say that if Miami's OL doesn't improve substantially this offseason, not one of the top 3 RB's this draft will make any substantive impact...in fact, given the short time moving from college to the NFL that a rookie starter has, I would be willing to bet that the starting back will receive at least one substantive injury, especially if the back is from Auburn and has split carries his entire senior year.

ny_finfan1966 said:
Also it will take the pressure off of AJ and open up the offense.

This may or may not be true...again, we need to determine whether or not we have an OL before we start assigning real impact value to any RB draftee.

ny_finfan1966 said:
I can't believe this guy wants to take another linebacker with Minnesota's pick. Is he related to Wanny? (LOL) We need to start getting some star players on this team and not some other teams retreads. Gordon, Morris and any other back will not equal the benefit of one of the top three backs in this draft. I think either Benson, Brown or Williams will be great for us. Also it will take the pressure off of AJ and open up the offense. If we trade down with Tampa we can still get a franchise back and get another pick in the second round.

Hmmm so you dont think taking the #1 overall rated player in the draft at #7 is a good idea just because he is a linebacker? I figured take him at 7 because he wont be there with the 18 pick. As far as our linebackers go Seau and Thomas are getting up there in age. After them who is our playmaking linebacker? But if you want to talk about my signature we can do that in my Mock Draft thread instead of this one.

A top three back would be nice Im not disagreeing with that. But, Houck and the OL will be Feeley's savior not a rookie rb.

knight6jb said:
I have a feeling our Oline is going to be very good this year, last year I agree no matter who was back there would have gotten killed, we picked up a couple new lineman, Carey should progrss well under Houck, as well as Mcdougle. Why woulod you rather reach fro a QB and fail?? I dont think either one of these QB's are going to be great, I think Rodgers is going to bust right away, and I am just not sold on Smith yet. I wouldnt mind M.Williams, Braylon scares me a bit, and Ronnie Brown scares me due to his lack of vision. anyone as I would be fine with, I just think caddy will strive in our new offense, and will be a dominate back for many many years in this league.

You could be right, and again, I won't be completely crestfallen if we pick a RB, I just won't be happy with paying first round money to one. I am also concerned about the long-term viability of a "franchise RB" behind our still unproven OL. I do agree that our OL will be better than last year, I just don't know to what degree. Good coaching availeth much, but it can't completely overcome lack of talent.

knight6jb said:

The other thing that scares me about the Auburn Backs is the fact they split time and the NFL season is longer and harder than the College season. Rookie RB's have been known in the past to wear out at the end of the season just because it is so long. (5 Preseason, 16 Regular Season, + Playoffs) compared to just what ... 13 max games in college?

volk said:
Until we know what Houck can do with this OL, I think this statement is premature. We have yet to see what the current backs can do behind a solid OL. I will go out on a limb right now and say that if Miami's OL doesn't improve substantially this offseason, not one of the top 3 RB's this draft will make any substantive impact...in fact, given the short time moving from college to the NFL that a rookie starter has, I would be willing to bet that the starting back will receive at least one substantive injury, especially if the back is from Auburn and has split carries his entire senior year.

This may or may not be true...again, we need to determine whether or not we have an OL before we start assigning real impact value to any RB draftee.

So we draft a QB and watch him get killed after AJ goes down??? or do we just not draft offense because we are too affraid of them getting hurt, so lets just draft all defense!

Omaha_Dolfan said:
The other thing that scares me about the Auburn Backs is the fact they split time and the NFL season is longer and harder than the College season. Rookie RB's have been known in the past to wear out at the end of the season just because it is so long. (5 Preseason, 16 Regular Season, + Playoffs) compared to just what ... 13 max games in college?
if this is true then any rookie RB will wear out by the end..... or we can go committee towards the middle of the year if we have to....or just let him play and get his feet wet, so he knows what to expect the following season when it comes to conditioning.

knight6jb said:
So we draft a QB and watch him get killed after AJ goes down??? or do we just not draft offense because we are too affraid of them getting hurt, so lets just draft all defense!

Of course you just dont draft defense. Point is simply with a better offensive line we dont need a Big 3 Back. And with the same OLine as last year a Big 3 Back wont make a difference. So use the top picks to grab bpa that fits a need. While Houck has a while to tool the offensive line.

Omaha_Dolfan said:
Of course you just dont draft defense. Point is simply with a better offensive line we dont need a Big 3 Back. And with the same OLine as last year a Big 3 Back wont make a difference. So use the top picks to grab bpa that fits a need. While Houck has a while to tool the offensive line.

So what do you want QB or WR??? QB will get killed behind the oline if not improved, and if improved wont have a running game to open the passing game. If we go WR and the Oline isnt improved he will be called a bust cuz we wont be able to get him the ball, if the oline is improved then there wont be a running game again to open the passing game. We are screwed!!!!:D

Back
Top Bottom