Why a QB | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why a QB

84needs1000yds

Defense Assistant
Reaction score
Are you guys ******ed why for this year do we need a QB, what are we goning to do for a running back this season. Please tell me please, FA is out of the question we don't have th cap or pics to trade around. I really would like to know what are we going to do for a RB we don't have a starter we have one in Feely and if not we have Ferotte or has been a proven starter!

A RB WILL be drafted, but not neccesarilly in the 1st.

my opinion is we do need a rb...i would really like a rb....but i also believe that a good oline can make a good rb great....so if we draft a qb or wr at #2..i wouldnt be mad...there will be many other running backs in the draft...and we also have a few rbs already...by committee wouldnt be bad

84needs1000yds said:
Are you guys ******ed why for this year do we need a QB, what are we goning to do for a running back this season. Please tell me please, FA is out of the question we don't have th cap or pics to trade around. I really would like to know what are we going to do for a RB we don't have a starter we have one in Feely and if not we have Ferotte or has been a proven starter!

our QB situation is simlar to our RB`s, remember we have Gordon and Morris.
a QB is more important so . . . let`s get one in the draft

84needs1000yds said:

There is a divided camp among loyal Dolphins fans. The 'logical' choice since we lost Ricky is to choose a RB. My feeling is that we'll chose Smith because of the way Linehan's offensive system is set up to use the pass to set up the run. Since the RB class is deep in this class, I believe that we can get a good RB in the 2nd (if we aquire one by trade) or our third. I am one of the handful here who believes that a Rookie and Gordon backfield would do nicely.

The downside to choosing a QB with our 2nd overall pick is that if Feeley has a Pro Bowl year, we'd be "stuck" with two franchise QBs :wink:

84needs1000yds said:

Do you want to be a good team or a SB team? You need a franchise QB! Are Feeley or Frerotte really at this level. We are not making a SB run this year - the plan is to build a winner for a long time. When you have the #2 pick in the draft you take value and that is QB or a game changer at another position and this draft does not have a clear cut guy at another position that should be drafted that high. Linehan's offense is NOT a pound the ball attack. There WILL be 3 WR sets and no FB most of the time. He rotated 3 backs in Minny and I'd say they had a pretty good offense. IMO you trade down if at all possible otherwise if there is no deal worth taking you get a QB. What position to pick is a no brainer to me if you stay at #2. 10-15 mil signing bonus for a good, not great, college RB is crazy!

Dude if the Dolphins don't select a RB I'll be so pissed. Our Qaurterback position is not as bad as our running back position. We need some serious help at the position.

Fitz said:
Dude if the Dolphins don't select a RB I'll be so pissed. Our Qaurterback position is not as bad as our running back position. We need some serious help at the position.

We do. I agree but do we need to take a RB with the 2nd pick when good RBs are available through the first three rounds? Here's what Saban said during a recent press conference about Williams but it may pertain to other Saban RBs as well.

[font=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica][font=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica] "In saying that, you don't really have the old-fashioned theory that we have to have this great running back because we're going to give him the ball 40 times a game.

"I think that old philosophy does not hold true in this day and age because very few of those guys have been able to sustain that kind of performance over a period of time."
[/font]
[/font]

both a qb and a rb will be chosen on draft day; the question is when. personally, i want alex smith and marion barber, but it could be any of the big three rbs and campbell/frye/greene/lefors/mcpherson or one of the big two qbs and arrington/shelton/barber/houston/harris. i can live any of those combinations.

Fitz said:

dude, if the dolphins select a RB with the #2 pick they better be sure he's the best damn RB that's ever played the game. backs aren't worth picks that high, especially when the depth of the RB class is so deep.

People that want a RB are into instant gratification as the pick will likely start this year. Those who want a QB see it as more of an investment in the future. How should the draft be used? I say you do not use the draft as a second free agency period but that you pick the players that will help you over the long-term. What will this roster look like 2-3 years from now? Most of our current players will be gone or on the downside of their careers. What will our building block for the future be? A runningback?

thepoolboy said:
People that want a RB are into instant gratification as the pick will likely start this year. Those who want a QB see it as more of an investment in the future. How should the draft be used? I say you do not use the draft as a second free agency period but that you pick the players that will help you over the long-term. What will this roster look like 2-3 years from now? Most of our current players will be gone or on the downside of their careers. What will our building block for the future be? A runningback?

people that want a RB are still in the Wanny-ball mindset, thinking we're still gonna run the ball 30-40 times a game.

there have been a lot of threads asking what type of offense Linehan runs, because apparently there weren't too many people that got to see Minnesota light up the scoreboards with Scott's pass to set up the run

84needs1000yds said:

The quick answer is that we'll just draft one later in a very deep RB draft. And currently we have as much of a starter at RB in Gordon and Morris as we do at QB in AJ and Frerotte.

Dudeman said:
people that want a RB are still in the Wanny-ball mindset, thinking we're still gonna run the ball 30-40 times a game.

there have been a lot of threads asking what type of offense Linehan runs, because apparently there weren't too many people that got to see Minnesota light up the scoreboards with Scott's pass to set up the run

That is true. Saban has come out an stated that if Ricky was to return, he'd be used differently (ie. fewer carries). I think our offensive mentality will become similar to Philadelphia where they pass early to get a lead and then run the ball to secure the lead. At the end, I believe they have roughly a pass/run ratio of 60/40. To that end, a RB is not a second overall need.

Back
Top Bottom