Why a RB at #2? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why a RB at #2?

Shamboubou said:
Its very funny to hear that we dont have a running back when we have like 5 under contract. S. Morris averaged 4 ypc last year behind one of the worse O-Lines in Dolphins history and maybe football history. Edge averaged 4.6 ypc behind the OL of the Colts. Many people feel that Gordon has a great deal of talent, seeing how Sammy did that well last year behind the horrible OL that we had I think Gordon can probably have 4.6 ypc this year behind a good OL. If he cant I'm pretty sure that Sammy can. That is why we dont need a RB with our #2 pick.

that, and about a month ago in tsn it said that even though all signs point to miami going rb at #2, it is unlikely b/c saban and the staff think highly of gordon. they are worried about his injury history, but they think that he can be a good one and they think that they can get a back to go with him in the 3rd round. I'll try to find the article.

here it goes

"There is growing confidence in Gordon, who carried only 35 times last season before being knocked out with a separated shoulder. So the team isn't likely to spend the No. 2 overall pick on a running back. The team still will pursue running back at some point in the draft to at least provide a quality challenge for Gordon. "(Jason Cole for TSN)

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/player?categoryId=106080

it's funny, b/c cole came back and said that edwards or brown would be the pick yesterday, so i think that he's just speculating like everyone else.

THOMAS_54 said:
I want a RB at #2 because I think thats the position we need a star player at most. I don't know why anyone would want Edwards at #2 when we got Chambers, Booker, and McMichael.

Exactly. WR is the least of our worries right now. So why the funk would we waste a #2 on one when we have other pressing needs? People need to use their brains god gave em'.

NYinBostonFin said:
Vermiel does not want to get rid of LJ. He is expected to split carries more to give Priest a break once and a while.

Riiiight if you don't think that trading L.J. (a back up RB who was publicly complaining about his role and Vermiel to the media numerous times last season) for Surtain in some capacity is unrealistic then you obviously have no clue what your talking about. The only way I could see this trade not happening is A. Saban holding out for a 2nd rder or B. Saban just not being interested in L.J.

As for the person who said earlier that Marion Barber would not be around in the 3rd I wouldn't bet on that either because there is a good chance he will be and if we can't L.J. via trade then personally I'd be all for selecting him with our 3rd.

Shamboubou said:
Its very funny to hear that we dont have a running back when we have like 5 under contract. S. Morris averaged 4 ypc last year behind one of the worse O-Lines in Dolphins history and maybe football history. Edge averaged 4.6 ypc behind the OL of the Colts. Many people feel that Gordon has a great deal of talent, seeing how Sammy did that well last year behind the horrible OL that we had I think Gordon can probably have 4.6 ypc this year behind a good OL. If he cant I'm pretty sure that Sammy can. That is why we dont need a RB with our #2 pick.

Very well stated. I think RB can be had in the 3rd or 4th round. I also think top running backs alway slide to the bottom of the first round. You can't get a CB to slide. We could get a top RB in future years or later in the draft(Ryan Moats) I like to trade down and take PacMan, Rolle.

ABrownLamp said:
With a draft pool so deep with RB talent, can someone please explain to me why you would think Saban would spend (or overspend) a #2 on a RB? Is there really any practical reason to do that?

Especially when you consider the fact that only a handful of teams actually need a solid RB...

Braylon Edwards in 05...

The only reason I can think of would be that the fins do not have a second round pick (unless we get one for Surtain, though I do not like that idea). This would leave us with a mid/late third rounder to choose a RB. We either need to draft a RB in the first round or acquire through FA or trade.

I mean can anyone honestly say that the fins have any legit shot at a 1,000yd rusher with Gordon, Minor or Morris? Come on now.

As for Braylon Edwards or Williams, I would take either, but WR is not our biggest concern.

Cause we CAN get a RB later, but with our pick being so high, assuming we dont' trade down- those are bonafied STARS we can get. Would you rather have a decent RB, or a Bad @$$?

RBs, even elite ones aren't that valuable. We can get Edge or Alexander right now and pay them about what we'll pay the #2 pick. We could spend a 3rd or 4th and pick up a very good back in Henry. The argument against doing that is that you shouldn't allocate that much of your cap to a RB.

We need a RB, but no more than we need a QB. Since we can get a RB elsewhere, it doesn't make sense to get one early. The only reasonable argument to pass on a QB is if you don't think these guys are franchise QBs. I disagree with that assessment, but it is at least is logical.

Shula-is-Good!! said:
Very well stated. I think RB can be had in the 3rd or 4th round. I also think top running backs alway slide to the bottom of the first round. You can't get a CB to slide. We could get a top RB in future years or later in the draft(Ryan Moats) I like to trade down and take PacMan, Rolle.

The only reason most RBs fall in the draft is because usually teams at the top don't have RB as their most pressing need. I guarantee that if there some team in the top 10 of last year's draft that was just sorely lacking a RB that Steven Jackson would have been a top 10 pick. Also, as Fins 34,Bills 3 stated, the fact we don't have a 2nd rounder makes selecting a RB at 2 more of a priority. I doubt we can find a solid 1000 yard back in the 3rd or 4th round. If we can get K.C.'s 2nd then I would be more willing to select a QB at 2 since we'd then have an oppurtunity at a guy like Barber in the 2nd round.

rafael said:
RBs, even elite ones aren't that valuable. We can get Edge or Alexander right now and pay them about what we'll pay the #2 pick. We could spend a 3rd or 4th and pick up a very good back in Henry. The argument against doing that is that you shouldn't allocate that much of your cap to a RB.

We need a RB, but no more than we need a QB. Since we can get a RB elsewhere, it doesn't make sense to get one early. The only reasonable argument to pass on a QB is if you don't think these guys are franchise QBs. I disagree with that assessment, but it is at least is logical.

How are we going to afford a guy like Edge or Alexander though if the whole purpose of shopping Surtain around is because of his cap figure? Plus, Edge has already signed the tender with the Colts so it looks like he's going to be staying in Indy. Alexander doesn't have much of a market right now because there's simply not many teams needing a RB and the ones that do can get one in the draft and not have to spend nearly as much on him. If we were going to get a RB via trade I think it would have already happened by now. My opinion

4U2NV said:
How are we going to afford a guy like Edge or Alexander though if the whole purpose of shopping Surtain around is because of his cap figure? Plus, Edge has already signed the tender with the Colts so it looks like he's going to be staying in Indy. Alexander doesn't have much of a market right now because there's simply not many teams needing a RB and the ones that do can get one in the draft and not have to spend nearly as much on him. If we were going to get a RB via trade I think it would have already happened by now. My opinion

I agree that we shouldn't spend the money on a RB, but that includes a #2 pick. Last year's #2 pick got more than what Edge and Alexander are asking. If we're going to spend that much it should be on a more valuable position. In this draft, that means QB.

ABrownLamp said:
With a draft pool so deep with RB talent, can someone please explain to me why you would think Saban would spend (or overspend) a #2 on a RB? Is there really any practical reason to do that?

Especially when you consider the fact that only a handful of teams actually need a solid RB...

Braylon Edwards in 05...

I agree with some. it all depends on ricky williams. there are 3 options.

1) Ricky returns and we trade down with minny. we might trade down further so we can get WR Clayton and S Pool/ LB Johnson/ CBs e.g Fabian washington, pac-man, or Rolle
2) ricky williams doesnt return we draft a RB at #2 who starts all year round.
3) ricky williams doesnt return. we trade down with minny. #7 we draft Benson. Bucs are the only ones looking for a RB appart from miami in the top 10 and they really like caddy. i prefer benson over brown. we also draft Clayton/ LB Johnson/ Fabian Washington

fear-the-d said:
I agree with some. it all depends on ricky williams. there are 3 options.

1) Ricky returns and we trade down with minny. we might trade down further so we can get WR Clayton and S Pool/ LB Johnson/ CBs e.g Fabian washington, pac-man, or Rolle
2) ricky williams doesnt return we draft a RB at #2 who starts all year round.
3) ricky williams doesnt return. we trade down with minny. #7 we draft Benson. Bucs are the only ones looking for a RB appart from miami in the top 10 and they really like caddy. i prefer benson over brown. we also draft Clayton/ LB Johnson/ Fabian Washington

The Bucs do like Caddy an awful lot but they're also drooling over Mike Williams. Since the Bucs have a high 2nd and not much money to spend on adding depth to their receiving corps via free agency I see them taking M. Williams in the first and opting for a back in the early 2nd.

I think if we trade down we would still have a good shot at getting Cadillac.

4U2NV said:
The Bucs do like Caddy an awful lot but they're also drooling over Mike Williams. Since the Bucs have a high 2nd and not much money to spend on adding depth to their receiving corps via free agency I see them taking M. Williams in the first and opting for a back in the early 2nd.

I think if we trade down we would still have a good shot at getting Cadillac.

We will probibly have a good shot at atleast 2 or the 3 stars. i still like benson best

Nick Saban is all about value and I doubt he can justify paying an unproven RB a $15 million signing bonus. On the scale of value positions on the field, the RB position does not compare to QB, LT and DE. Spending huge money and using a top pick on a lesser value position does not make sense. QB is just as great a need as RB and also happens to be the most valuable position on the field. Further to that, there are two players at that position proving to be top prospects. It would be wise to use our 2nd overall pick on the remaining available QB.

Back
Top Bottom