Why a RB at #2? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why a RB at #2?

ABrownLamp

The Decider
Reaction score
With a draft pool so deep with RB talent, can someone please explain to me why you would think Saban would spend (or overspend) a #2 on a RB? Is there really any practical reason to do that?

Especially when you consider the fact that only a handful of teams actually need a solid RB...

Braylon Edwards in 05...

Mike Williams would fit us better than Edwards.

ih8brady said:
Mike Williams would fit us better than Edwards.

No he wouldn't. Not with Scott Linehan's long-ball friendly offense.

Williams would have fit better last year, but not with our new offense. Edwards would be deadly.

I want a RB at #2 because I think thats the position we need a star player at most. I don't know why anyone would want Edwards at #2 when we got Chambers, Booker, and McMichael.

No one knows who Saban has targeted with the #2 overall if he has to stay there. Everyone thinks he will go RB because it's a big need of ours and the RB's are some of the better prospects in the draft but don't bet on it though because it's far from a lock. Saban isn't stupid and I really don't think he wants to spend that kind of money on a RB especially with the draft being so deep with them.

My prediction for now is we're going to most likely deal Surtain along with Zgonina to the cheifs for possibly Larry Johnson and maybe their 3rd comp. pick they recieved. Then on draft day we'll try our best to trade down and possibly select Antrel Rolle to replace Surtain.

what you're saying makes sense, but I really have no clue what's going on in ol' saint nick's head, so I wouldn't be surprised with anything he does. But like I have said before, it will be a pleasant surprise, cause with everything that has happened in the last few years, I am just excited to start from scratch, and see with the new staff can put together on the field. It would have to be a pretty horrible pick for me to be upset with anything saban does

while there is a large amount of runningbacks in this years draft. i think if ricky comes back then we should only draft a runningback in the late 1st day or early second day. but if the whole ricky situation doesnt work out and i doubt it will then we should take a runningback with the 2nd overall pick.

yamutha3002 said:
My prediction for now is we're going to most likely deal Surtain along with Zgonina to the cheifs for possibly Larry Johnson and maybe their 3rd comp. pick they recieved. Then on draft day we'll try our best to trade down and possibly select Antrel Rolle to replace Surtain.

Vermiel does not want to get rid of LJ. He is expected to split carries more to give Priest a break once and a while.

ABrownLamp said:
Especially when you consider the fact that only a handful of teams actually need a solid RB...

Aren't we one of those teams?

This is off subject, but would anyone know why it is that I cannot actually click into the text box when starting a new thread or editing a post that I wrote. It just sits there like a picture. I can't edit anything on it. I'm at work, so if anyone knows of a filter or something that I can remove, let me know, and thanks in advance

ABrownLamp said:
With a draft pool so deep with RB talent, can someone please explain to me why you would think Saban would spend (or overspend) a #2 on a RB? Is there really any practical reason to do that?

Braylon Edwards in 05...

Because there is Brown, Benson and Caddy sitting there as well as Edwards...RB is our biggest hole by far, even if RW comes back. We could get thru the season with the 3 WRs we have, but not with the 3 RBs we have...

LarryFinFan said:
Because there is Brown, Benson and Caddy sitting there as well as Edwards...RB is our biggest hole by far, even if RW comes back. We could get thru the season with the 3 WRs we have, but not with the 3 RBs we have...

Its been over two decades since we drafted a legitimate QB prospect. Thats too long. :shakeno:

LarryFinFan said:

THANK YOU! I sometimes feel like I'm screaming into a black hole when talking to other Dolphin fans when it comes to picking a RB at 2. Yes, this draft is deep with them but when you consider we don't have a 2nd rounder I think we're almost forced to take a back with the 2nd pick. You're not going to find a guy like Marion Barber or J.J. Arrington in the 3rd round.

Its very funny to hear that we dont have a running back when we have like 5 under contract. S. Morris averaged 4 ypc last year behind one of the worse O-Lines in Dolphins history and maybe football history. Edge averaged 4.6 ypc behind the OL of the Colts. Many people feel that Gordon has a great deal of talent, seeing how Sammy did that well last year behind the horrible OL that we had I think Gordon can probably have 4.6 ypc this year behind a good OL. If he cant I'm pretty sure that Sammy can. That is why we dont need a RB with our #2 pick.

ABrownLamp said:

Braylon Edwards in 05...

Because the guys at the top of the RB draft class are special players and we to solidify the backfield, taking a RB with the #2 pick is our best chance of doing that imo. And Braylon Edwards would be a horrible pick imo, David Terrell part 2, no thanks

Back
Top Bottom