Why are there so many Canadian Fins Fans? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why are there so many Canadian Fins Fans?

chub

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I saw this question posed on a thread and thought I would start a thread to see how many of us there are and the reasons we are.

For me as a kid growing up in Canada the only NFL tv feed we ever got was the SEattle SEahawks games. THey have sucked for decades and still suck. Being treated to Monday night football stars like Marino, Montana, and even Elway made football fun to watch once more.

Some of the Canadian Football League stars migrated back to the NFL as well, fans never lost track of them. One of the first in my memory was Dieter Brock next Warren Moon, Doug Flutie, Jeff Garcia, Mike Vanderjagt, Mervyn Fernandez, etc.

The best and funniest ever was Sean Salisbury, he won the Championship ( Grey Cup Canada's version of the Superbowl ) in Canada and was cut by his team, shortly after he was the Vikings starting QB. He sucked in Canada and equally sucked in the NFL.

Whats your story? Why are you a fan?

thats a good question. Its true, we only get Seattle game unless the NFL package. There is not really any good reason for it. I like dan marino and it has stuck since. Not sure why.

I think Miami has a pretty big following in any area of the United States or Canada. Probably mostly as a result of people loving Dan Marino. I was personally sort of born into a family that already followed the dolphins, but I think Marino had a lot to do with it too. Being relatively close to Buffalo, I think around here either you like the bills and you're a bills fan, or you genuinely dislike everything Buffalo, and you're a dolphins fan.

Because "Dolphins eh" sounds much better than any other team.

Because of snow birds- many of us head down to Miami for weeks at a time during the winter, and we find that the Dolphins are as close to a "home team" as we got.

Im a huge fin fan from Toronto, Ontario Canada....The feed game that we get here is the bills everyweek...I have found here that there r many cowgirls, bills, and packers fans, but also a large population of fins fans due to the Dan Marino factor....I started liking the Fins in the mid 90's when Dan the Man was at the helm and the bills had just finnished caughing up 4 superbowl busts....I hated the Bills soo much and also the cowgirls as many of friends are still die hard Dallas fans and I decided to like a team whos jerseys i thought were cool and original and a team that had a awesome qb...The MIAMI DOLPHINS...:lol: And the rest is history...Now im a pretty die hard fan who risks his *** each year by going into the Ralph wearing the aqua jersey and screaming my lungs out in support of our fins...My car is decked out with a Toronto Maple Leaf hockey flag on 1 side..and a Dolphins flag on the other...

Im a HUGE Phins FAN!! Im From Windsor Ontario (right across the river from Detroit). You other guys only get Seahawks!? that sucks!! we obviously get ALL of the Detroit Lions games.....Bills.....and we get all Miami (thank god!), we get Atlanta, Chiefs and Cincinatti and the Pats......so I get to see tons of football, including every Monday Night game. I would flip if I had to watch the Seahawks every week!! lol

But ya I Dont know why there's so many Canadian Dolphins Fans. Im sure there's A LOT more Buffalo Canadian fans though. But ya I love the Phins and always will!!!

Oh, and in case there's some confused Americans ill add in what we "supossibly" always say!

Eh, Eh, Eh, Eh, Aboot, Eh, Eh, Eh, Hoosiers Eh. (ive said eh about 10 times in my life, we dont say it as much as you think lol)

PS. Canadian Fans, I just heard on SportsCentre that Doung Flutie could sign with the Hamilton Tiger Cats.......and WINDSOR (where im from) could get a CFL TEAM!! SWEET!!

.......Does anyone in here think that there would EVER be an Canadian NFL Team??

iam from windsor ontario to man went to villanova
AND I LOVED DAN AND MY DAD LOVED MIAMI WHEN THEY WON THERE FIRST SUPER BOWL SO THAT HOW I LEARNED TO LIKE THEM

and i am drunk

phin lockeroom said:
iam from windsor ontario to man went to villanova
AND I LOVED DAN AND MY DAD LOVED MIAMI WHEN THEY WON THERE FIRST SUPER BOWL SO THAT HOW I LEARNED TO LIKE THEM

and i am drunk

Your not Canadian if your not drunk lol!:roflmao:

Been a huge Phin since the early 80's. When i was a young whippersnapper.. someone gave me a phin sweat shirt. And that was it..Ive been a fan ever since. I wore that shirt till it rotted off me....
And ....I HATE... HATE .... HATE THE DAMN BILLS!

Hey Dolphin Fans,

I'm from Cambridge, Ontario and I have been a Dolphin fan as long as I can remember, my first Dolphin's jersey that I ever had was Mark Duper's.
My wife is the best she suprised me with tickets one year to see Miami and Buffalo...it snowed like crazy and was freezing cold that day....she didn't complain once.
One year I would love to see a home game instead of going to Buffalo all the time (the worst fans and stadium in the NFL)

It all started when....

When an uncle of mine gave me a dolphin jacket when i was eight, the combination of having a family member love the fins and growing up watching dan pretty much does it, Iam now living minutes from niagara falls, having watched every miami/fluffalo game for the last 7 years. My greatest memory came 4 years ago when my now current wife suggested we go to miami to watch a game, she likes the dolphins too, we both got to pose with the marino statue outside the stadium, she got to straddle him while slightly drunk and i just got all teary eyed, since that game ( which was a victory against the SB bound raiders) i have gone every year. So far, I have seen us beat the raiders, lose to the eagles on mon night by a td, and beat the Pats last year on mon night! We drove down for the game, even though we had the worst season ever. All my friends said it would be a waste of money, i would have to disagree. Probably wont go to miami this year, but will go to watch then kick the crap out of the browns and bills this year. P.S.. out of all the the other fan base i have met over the years, eagles fans were the worst (complete idiots), then the raiders (were humble though after whuppin), the bills fans, and believe it or not the new england fans i was riding with form the hotel to the game last year were all class, even congratulaed us when we beat them. Cant wait for this year...GO Fins!

Dolfan1000 said:
Because of snow birds- many of us head down to Miami for weeks at a time during the winter, and we find that the Dolphins are as close to a "home team" as we got.

This is EXACTLY the reason, pure and simple!!:cool:

canadian Phin fan since 66

I'm from Kitchener Ontario. We used get a lot of Bills games here but with the New Cable NFL we can now get all the Phins games. Once a Phin fan always a Phin fan. Saw the Back to Back SuperBowls and can't wait for our next one. Saban will bring it home once again. He's the best thing that could have happened to the Phins. Keep the faith we're on our way back. By the way I'm 53 and a long time Dedicated Dolphins fan. My first post in a long time.

Back
Top Bottom