Why Can't Kenny Stills Be Our #1? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why Can't Kenny Stills Be Our #1?

Kenny Stills is one dimensional, and even then you have to hold your breath he catches it. He is not a run after catch guy either. Its over the top or nothing.

I think Kenny will be the #1 in targets this year. That being said I think #1 wr is a dying breed. You will always have a few guys like Julio or Brown or Beckham that have to stand out, but the nfl is moving towards spreading around and getting more guys moultiole targerts. Dak Prescott said recently on Dan Patrick not focusing on one guy makes the offense run so much smoother. I think this is where we are headed this year.

It seems to me that stills has been overlooked since he became a dolphin. To me he has been the most reliable and professional player we have had in a long time. He has all the skill set to be our #1, but we as fans have relegated other less than reliable drama queens, looking at you Landry and injury prone(parker) players as our #1. At first I looked at him as just another guy, but he had become one of my favorite. And that isn't even taking all the great community service he performs. Thaughts?

A number one needs to be able to do more then just continually run deep passes, this is not to say that Still can't be effective running other patterns, but he will not be anywhere as consistent or good as runt deep passes.

This is why Parker is the legitimate receiver to be the #1 receiver, Parker has speed to run deep if they cover him too close, he kill you if you give him too much cushion, he has good height to out jump any DB. If Parker actually puts it together this year, he will be a legitimate option when you need a 1st down, in the redzone, or want to be aggressive deep. Stills will still be the player that if you forget about him for a second, he will hurt you for big yards.

Stills is a different type of player, he came in to the league so young. He is in his prime right now and honestly i expect around 10 tds out of him. Tannehill will connect with him again on many 30 plus yard tds

It seems to me that stills has been overlooked since he became a dolphin. To me he has been the most reliable and professional player we have had in a long time. He has all the skill set to be our #1, but we as fans have relegated other less than reliable drama queens, looking at you Landry and injury prone(parker) players as our #1. At first I looked at him as just another guy, but he had become one of my favorite. And that isn't even taking all the great community service he performs. Thaughts?
He’s our best wr

Stills doesn't command attention from opposing defenses. He's a JAG in their eyes with a note not to get burned deep. Keep him in front of you and make him do things he is not comfortable doing.

And there is nothing wrong with that. You need pieces like Stills for a well rounded offense. People playing down having no real #1 as the ideal way to go, are nuts.

As for using Dak Prescott as some authority on a new trend in the NFL...the guy better get back to winning. He could end up another Josh Freeman.

I thought I read somewhere once that stills was hell to cover in the slot. Maybe we see him in the slot some next year. I think we are gonna see so many different looks of everyone pans out, gesicki, Wilson, da, that its gonna be unreal. Parker is SUPPOSED to be our alpha wr. Stills was never considered an alpha so even if he catches 70-1000-10 this year he will still not be considered a true 1 because it's not the stigma that goes with him. It's like I tell the young guys at work, your reputation sticks with you a long time and is hard to shake. If people see stills as simply a deep threat that's what we are gonna see him as for a few seasons ril je changes our opinion

Stills is an above average received IMO. I have no doubt that he can run all the route trees from any position, including the slot. That is, apparently, not gase's vision of his role within the offense. As to being #1? He doesn't have that nasty streak you typically want in the #1.

I thought I read somewhere once that stills was hell to cover in the slot. Maybe we see him in the slot some next year. I think we are gonna see so many different looks of everyone pans out, gesicki, Wilson, da, that its gonna be unreal. Parker is SUPPOSED to be our alpha wr. Stills was never considered an alpha so even if he catches 70-1000-10 this year he will still not be considered a true 1 because it's not the stigma that goes with him. It's like I tell the young guys at work, your reputation sticks with you a long time and is hard to shake. If people see stills as simply a deep threat that's what we are gonna see him as for a few seasons ril je changes our opinion

I read that too. It was from Gase in an interview, and he said Kenny averaged 16ypc in the slot. I think it is going to help to take the focus off Jarvis, and let more guys show what they can do.

Talent is there but not a great blocker and gets banged up to easily.

For the most part, I think the era of offenses focusing on WR1, RB1 and TE1 has taken a back seat to the spread-the-ball and find-the-mismatch offenses of today. Teams have either abandoned or greatly reduced that offensive thinking.

Some is offensive coaching style, some is player availability and some is trends.

When I think of true WR1 types, I think of Michael Irvin, Calvin Johnson, Terrell Owens and Randy Moss. There's just not enough of those players in the NFL.

RBs have evolved due to the same problem. RBC is the new norm. Rarely do you find a "complete" back who can catch, block and run with power and break away speed. Gore is one of the last great ones (earlier in his career).

In today's NFL, WR1 is more of a depth chart designation than true scheme or role. Instead, WRs are more categorized based on ability (end zone, jump ball, possession, speed, separation, route running, etc).

Before he fizzled, that is what the Dolphins were trying to trade for when they acquired David Boston. But that part of his game stayed in San Diego. We got a shell.

We also pursued it with Brandon Marshall. We got it for a little while, before the headache set in.

Coaches want scheme flexibility and multi-faceted players that resemble Swiss Army knives. Its difficult to run a role based offense when you don't have the players to execute it.

For the most part, I think the era of offenses focusing on WR1, RB1 and TE1 has taken a back seat to the spread-the-ball and find-the-mismatch offenses of today. Teams have either abandoned or greatly reduced that offensive thinking.

Some is offensive coaching style, some is player availability and some is trends.

When I think of true WR1 types, I think of Michael Irvin, Calvin Johnson, Terrell Owens and Randy Moss. There's just not enough of those players in the NFL.

RBs have evolved due to the same problem. RBC is the new norm. Rarely do you find a "complete" back who can catch, block and run with power and break away speed. Gore is one of the last great ones (earlier in his career).

In today's NFL, WR1 is more of a depth chart designation than true scheme or role. Instead, WRs are more categorized based on ability (end zone, jump ball, possession, speed, separation, route running, etc).

Before he fizzled, that is what the Dolphins were trying to trade for when they acquired David Boston. But that part of his game stayed in San Diego. We got a shell.

We also pursued it with Brandon Marshall. We got it for a little while, before the headache set in.

Coaches want scheme flexibility and multi-faceted players that resemble Swiss Army knives. Its difficult to run a role based offense when you don't have the players to execute it.
Agree with virtually everything you said.

The "#1" receiver of the past don't really exist anymore. There are only a handful in the whole NFL. Defenses are not as susceptible to one individual being able to beat them as they were a few years ago.

Aside from the Randy Moss sideshow, how many #1 receivers has NE had?

I know you need to have starters, however i rather have an offense that spreads the ball around more. Create mis-matches with the defense and when they go to stop it keep spreading it around. I think the way the offense will run will move the ball around more since we got Mike at TE, and we have more of a complete group at receiver this year along with Ryan back. This is the year that Parker has to stay healthy and show what he can do.

I'll admit he doesn't block like Hines ward,but he is a decent and willing blocker. Would love to see you try and block an nfl defender trying to take your head off

You"re not proving your point with that nonsense post

Yeah I was getting ready to say the same thing as everyone already has. Stills is a great starting WR. But he isnt the alpha #1 WR like Julio, AJ Green, etc. Do we need a WR like that to win? no. Would it be nice to have? of course.

Like others have said plenty of recent superbowl winning teams actually didn't have a dominant #1 WR.

Stills could be a our best WR this year. Depends IF Parker finally progresses and if Amendola can stay healthy though.

Back
Top Bottom